Help

Special Education

LD teacher- need math lesson help!

>

nicolelt0226

LD teacher- need math lesson help!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach third and fourth graders with learning disabilities in a self contained classroom. Unfortunately, we are not given a math program to use with our kids, so I am constantly looking all over the internet for lesson plan ideas. What books/programs (that I can buy myself) do you use in your classrooms? My kids are on a late 1st-3rd grade level, and I want to get some resources that will help me plan for my kids needs. I plan on buying the Guided Math book, but before I buy anything I would like to get some ideas from special ed. teachers who have used them before. Thanks in advance!

nicolelt0226 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy3&paco

touch math
Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like the Touch Dot Math program for LD students. I use the touch dots to teach addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I also use for counting money.
mommy3&paco is offline   Reply With Quote

nicolelt0226

Touch Math
Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I have used Touch Math. I love the program and actually teach addition, subtraction and multiplication with it. Do you use any good resource books to supplement?

mommy3&paco

Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I follow my own program. I found it really difficult to find one or two programs that really worked. I felt following a program held my kids back. I include math as much as possible during the day. I really follow the state standards and try to parallel the reg ed curriculum as much as possible, even though my students were many grade levels behind. I try to teach the same general areas of math at the same time but at the level of my students, which is usually many different levels. Our math coach was great at helping me to create a list of skills each grade level needed to master for our state. I just follow this list of skills and start plugging away at teaching my students where they are with the big goal in mind. They still have to take the state tests and I want them exposed as much as possible to at least the vocabulary.

I use a lot of web sites.

I love the math generator at interventioncentral.com. Edhelper has some good math worksheets. I also use worksheetworks.com. I really like their word problem, money, and time worksheets. My whole class could have a worksheet that looked the same but was at many different levels.

We also do the temperature each day. This really covers many skills. Each day they individually predict the temperature (after much discussion about how to make a good prediction). Then we find the actual temperature. They graph the temp on a drawing of a thermometor. They then find the difference of their prediction and the actual. We then complete a line graph for each day. Some students even round the temp to nearest tens. At the end of the week they answer questions about the temperature. Which day was the warmest, coldest? Then they find the difference between the warmest and coldest. Then they rank the temps warmest to coldest. Some of my 6th graders even work on finding the mean, mode, median. This was all on one worksheet for the whole week. It is on my computer at school or I would attach it. All the activites for each day was on the front and the line graph was on the back.

I hope you could understand all this rambling. Hopefully it was helpful!
mommy3&paco is offline   Reply With Quote

RunningGal

daily temperature
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the temperature activities!

I also teach a self-contained class. Last year I did calendar math every morning with the same idea of incorporating several math topics. It helped the students have a better understanding of each area when we came across it in a text book. The daily temperature activities would be a great addition. Thanks!

RunningGal is offline   Reply With Quote

nicolelt0226

temperature
Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love this! It will be easy to differentiate and really work areas my kids struggle with. When you get back to school can you attach the sheet? I'm wondering how you can fit it all on one piece of paper? Thanks so much for the ideas!