TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Did that just happen?

>

CD

CD

Did that just happen?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a mom breast feed her child in the middle of our parent meeting with me, the assistant principal, and my principal. She just lifted up her shirt with her breast exposed and fed her baby. Am I the only one who thinks that's weird?

Vol

Vol

No it's not wierd
Old 10-08-2005, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As an educated person you should know that all mammals nurse their young and people are no different. Why do we make such a big deal out of breasts in this country? That's what's wierd. Breast feeding should be honored and supported by society. I could go on and on regarding the benefits of nursing for babies, mothers and society but I won't. Honestly if we weren't so anal about bare breasts (unlike the rest of the world) this wouldn't be an issue. Good golly girl let's act like adults and not middle schoolers.

no name

no name

opinion
Old 10-08-2005, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it is weird, also. Breast feeding is a natural act but I think she should have excused herself or brought pumped milk if she knew it was time to feed her baby. All mammals have sex, too. Does that mean it's okay to have sex in a public meeting??

Anon

Anon

Re:
Old 10-08-2005, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree totally with you.

a mom

a mom

Old 10-08-2005, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have two kids and both were breast fed...but I do think its odd to be fully exposed like you describe. I think if it were me at the conference, I would have brought expressed milk or fed the baby just before going into the conference... or better still, left the baby at home with a sitter so I could fully concentrate on the conference.

Jackie

totally weird
Old 10-08-2005, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think that is terrible! I understand if you need to breast-feed your child, but excuse yourself to a private room for goodness sake. I will never understand how people think that this is something to do in public. I was in disneyworld one time and while waiting in line to go on a ride, this woman in front of me just started breast feeding her baby. I also saw a woman do it in the middle of an upscale restaurant also. Why would you want people to see you do this is beyond me.

Penny

question
Old 10-08-2005, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Were the principals male or female?

SC

Natural but weird
Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There are all kinds of natural things that mammals do but that humans should never do in public where people can see (use the bathroom, have sex, etc.). Yes, breast feeding is normal and healthy, but it is uncomfortable for the people around you when you do it. I know it's just feeding a baby, and it's just a breast, but it's awkward and should be avoided.
CD

CD

Good Golly Vol
Old 10-08-2005, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As an educated person you should know that it's not very nice to insult people! It sounds like you're acting more like a middle schooler by feeling the need to insult me. You could have simply stated your opinion as the rest of the educated people here did! : )

CD

CD

Principals
Old 10-08-2005, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They were both females. I do wonder what she would have done if they were male.

Just me

Just me

Had it happen to me once...
Old 10-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was doing a home visit and had the same thing happen to me...it wasn't as bad as a meeting at school though! She did ask if it was ok, but I thought she meant she'd cover herself up, NOT THE CASE. She did it several times, and her daughter referred to her little baby brother as "titty boy". I was not amused.

Jennifer in OK

Feeding
Old 10-08-2005, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

While it isn't a bad thing to breast feed in public, using something as simple as a blanket to drape herself to make others comfortable would have been better in my opinion. There were a few times with my daughter that I breastfeed in public, but I used a blanket to cover her and me. I have the common sense to know that others don't want to see my engorged self exposed to the world.
anon

anon

Old 10-08-2005, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

"if we weren't so anal about bare breasts "

kind of ironic phrasing...

deee

deee

DTeach
Old 10-08-2005, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had that happen to me in a conference last year, too!

Meghan

Meghan

Vol has a point
Old 10-09-2005, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree Vol may have been a bit too harsh but it does seem to me that we are way too prudish in this country and although no one's out and out said it what we're talking about is the confusion between breasts as a sex object and breasts as a means of feeding our young. Two years ago I lived in Europe and this was never an issue. There are far more bare bosoms over there in public but a lot less sex in your face advertising. I hope to breast feed some day but I will cover it up with a blanket (per my sister's coaching

CD

CD

Breasts
Old 10-09-2005, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm all for breast feeding. I think it's super healthy for the baby. On the other hand, it was uncomfortable for me to see a parent's breast, especially one who was mid sentence yelling at me with her breast hanging out. It would be uncomfortable for me to see any parent's breast. I have breasts. I understand they're not that big of a deal, but in a parent conference, please nurse before, pump a bottle, or at LEAST throw a blanket over your shoulder. That's all I'm asking!

Kelly

I agree
Old 10-09-2005, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am not a parent so it is hard to place myself in the parents place but do agree that the parent should have at least asked do you mind ? Granted babies get hungry and need to be fed but in that situation I would have pumped and brought a bottle. Dr Phil just had a debate on his show last Friday about issues of breast feeding in public, debated both sides . There has to be a common ground for all invovled.

mab

What do you think about this?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I breast fed my 3 kids, so I appreciate the naturalness of it, but I think this one tops them all! A lady nursed her baby boy during Mass. Luckily she did throw a blanket over her shoulder, but that was a shocker. She was just across the aisle from me and the baby was really fussy. There is a restroom in church and a cry room...

Kiki

feeding in public...
Old 10-10-2005, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am a mother of 2 who breastfed both for a year. I did not breast feed my children in public because I did not want to offend anyone. However, I personally would not have a problem with the mother feeding in front of me if the baby/breast were covered. The fact that she didn't even try to cover up is what is suprising to me. It may be natural for her and necessary for the baby but, I do not feel like she took your comfort level into mind.
Anon

Anon

Breastfeeding
Old 10-10-2005, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

When my best friend was pregnant she would breast feed in front of family and friends but you could never tell because she kept a blanket over the baby's back. This was done for her own modesty and for the comfort of others. I was at a wedding a few years ago and I looked across the aisle and saw that a woman whipped out her breast and started to nurse without covering herself up. I thought it was inappropriate and distracted from the ceremony to whip out your breast during the bride and groom's vows. Yes it is natural and beautiful and healthful but have a little modesty. Not everyone is comfortable with seeing an exposed breast. The church was full of elderly relatives. 88 year old Uncle John should not have to see you pull out your breast in church. Could it be that the mom was trying to make you uncomfortable?