The VENT

If I resign could I lose my teaching Certificate

>

battleaxe

battleaxe

If I resign could I lose my teaching Certificate
Old 11-29-2018, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently had a very large brain tumor removed and there were lots of complications with the surgery. My principal came to visit me in the hospital and saw me in a not so glamorous state. I was out on sick leave from the end of January through the end of July of last year. When I returned to work, administration was not very welcoming and I was told my grade level was being changed. My principal gave away hundreds of dollars worth of things I had bought with my own money, and what was left of my things was dumped in boxes and placed in my new room for me to go through. I had one week to get my new classroom set up, and then she wouldn't give me a class or even leave me alone with the kids. I was supervised every minute and every mistake I made was scrutinized. She sat in the back of other people's classrooms (while I taught) and wrote down everything I said and everything that happened all day long. I began having seizures because of all the stress and got a doctor to write me a no return to work note until the semester was up. Now I am going to resign at the semester because I can't go back to a school district that treats me like that. I was an exemplary teacher until last year and had taught in this school district for the past 17 years. I even received the teacher of the year award in 2012. I had exemplary ratings every year. When I resign, do they have the right to take my teaching certificate since I am breaking my contract?

TAOEP

Old 11-29-2018, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think the status of your certificate will depend on how you handle your resignation. My suggestion would be to see your doctor and discuss your medical condition and how stress at work is affecting you.

Then ask your doctor for a note saying that the doctor recommends that you not work at this time so you can concentrate on your recovery.

I'd be very surprised if you had any problems if you resign for health reasons.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote
agent007

agent007

Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wouldn't resign. I would go to the doctor and ask for another medical leave excuse for the remainder of the year. Then, turn in your resignation at the end of the school year. Also, keep in mind that in some places if you resign you can not collect unemployment benefits only if you are let go.

I feel sad they treated you this way. It was very inhumane of them. I hope you get better from your condition. Actually, if they fire you or retaliate against you, you may have grounds to sue back especially after 17 years. I believe you need to speak with a lawyer. He/she can give you better advise. Medical leave is a legal right!

Good luck with everything.

cemsnowy4

Old 11-30-2018, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the others. I would try going on another medical leave. Do you have a union you can go to? I would also see a lawyer if you need to. In my state you cannot collect unemployment benefits if you resign. I am sorry for what you have been through this past year. It must be very difficult.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 11-30-2018, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The way you have been treated after 17 years of service is disgusting. I would definitely have your doctor do what TAOEP suggested:
Quote:
Then ask your doctor for a note saying that the doctor recommends that you not work at this time so you can concentrate on your recovery.
You’d have time to recover more thoroughly, decide if you want to resign at the end of the year or seek a transfer to another school in your district, or apply elsewhere. Good luck to you and take care of yourself! Wishing you the best.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Just a Thought...
Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would definitely go see your doctor to get a note saying you are not able to return to work during this school year. Do not resign.

I would also contact your union or a Department of Public Instruction lawyer in your state.

I would think that under the conditions you described, you would be eligible for disability. Your district should have disability insurance that you can use. This would still give you an income and very little taxes will be taken from it. A condition such as yours is the whole reason why your district is carrying disability insurance.

Until you check with DPI in your state, see your doctor, and check on disability insurance, do not resign.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 11-30-2018, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would get a doc or psychiatrist to write a note to resign immediately(due to stress) doesn’t even need to say what type of doc. I resigned from a job after 12 days w a non descriptive note from my psych... u then they’d have to release u/let out of contract immediately w no repercussions. Also sounds like u could possibly sue if u really wanted to for discrimination at work. Also I’d demand to claim back your possessions u had purchased! Or u could go the medical leave route and/or resign after end of school yr
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Bad if they do!
Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I broke my contract and they did not take my certificate. I did not have any of the traumatic things you have had. I just knew I didn't like that district and would have rather not been a teacher if it meant teaching there. I have been teaching in a wonderful district with a great team now for 3 years! I think you have a much better reason for breaking your contract. If they do take your license they are terrible people.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 12-01-2018, 12:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Don't quit, sue the district. It sounds to me like they are breaking the American Disability Act. Contact a lawyer who specializes in it.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
battleaxe

battleaxe

Thanks
Old 12-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I live in the state of Texas. Teachers in Texas can not collect unemployment. Also we do not have a Union. Our school district does not have an HR department or anything to protect teachers.
Teachers have very few rights. I have spoken to a lawyer and he said that it could have been handled in a different way. They were certainly not very compassionate in the way they went about it but they did nothing that was illegal. He said I could file a grievance, but since I had 15 days to file it and that has already passed, they probably wouldn't even look at it. So my hands are tied basically. Thanks for your help and advice though. I will take all of these things into consideration.

Emily26

Emily26

Just handle it professionally.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Personally, I think you should get a lawyer and review the situation with him or her to see if your rights have been violated. Discarding your property while you're out sick, and now harassing you due to illness seems suspect.

If you decide to resign, get a doctor's note, give notice, go to HR so that the Governing Board (or whatever equivalent body you are dealing with) can approve your resignation. They might also just approve a leave of absence. If they DO try to pull your certificate, you can appeal it to the state, and most likely, with your medical situation, they will not revoke it. Your health is more important right now than anything else. Please take care of yourself.

Summerwillcom

I am so sorry about all you have
Old 12-01-2018, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

been through. Your admin should be ashamed. Times have changed so much. It goes to show that we owe no loyalty to our employers anymore.
I remember a time when a teacher went through something medically like you.
The admin did leave a top notch aide in the classroom all day to teach the class. Officially, the teacher did need to be in the room to get pd and keep insurance. They made her a comfy place in the back of the room. Staff pitched in to help her financially.
Maybe it was just that our admin had compassion, conscience, and decency. These seem to be lacking where I am now too.
I wish you the best and truly hope you can get disability and get well soon.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 12-02-2018, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is horrible. I don't really have any other advice since the other posters gave excellent advice. I do hope that your doctor writes a note saying you are unable to return. Tell your Dr. how you were treated. Towards the end of the school year look elsewhere. The new school would look at your old evaluations. You had a legitamate reason why you weren't that effective for the few weeks you returned. You simply returned to work before you completely recovered.

Last edited by hiker1; 12-02-2018 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: added more
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Texas teachers can collect unemployment benefits due to layoffs ad cutbacks but you would not qualify for either with your circumstances.

Are you a member of either ATPE or TFT? If so, I would talk to your campus/district rep and definitely contact the state rep in Austin for the organization to which you (hopefully) belong. They should be able to give you some guidance.

Good luck.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote
battleaxe

battleaxe

Thanks
Old 12-02-2018, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am a member of TCTA. The lawyer who works for them is the one who told me that my hands were tied and that the school district did not do anything illegal (even getting rid of my things--which seems strange to me--seems like that could be considered theft). And it's a very small school district so there is no HR Department. Thanks for the advice though.

apple annie

Old 12-03-2018, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Teaching certificates are issued by the state. How does a school district hzvd any control over what happens to your certificate?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

teachsph2008

shame on them
Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I know this post is somewhat old, but I had to chime in. Your admin should be ashamed of themselves! I don't care if you were a first year teacher. What happens to treating people in a humane fashion. Who greets someone who just had surgery with no help at all! Just toss your things in a box???And in my opinion, monitoring you like that everyday is harassment.

The attorney you spoke to is just one voice. Please, please contact the ADA. And most importantly, just don't resign.
teachsph2008 is offline   Reply With Quote