Help

Special Education

Read live / read naturally

>

Snowflake29

Read live / read naturally
Old 02-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone had any experience with the fluency intervention program ďread naturallyĒ ? I really like it specially the computer version (read live) and I have some students that would benefit from it but canít seem to find enough time to implement it.

How do you all fit it in to your week/day?

Snowflake29 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Read Naturally
Old 02-20-2019, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used it, but it wasn't in the classroom. I had a special assignment one year and one of the things I did was do a few periods of pull out intervention with kids. The program seemed to help.

If I were to implement it into day/week, it would likely be a center or something. Or maybe have the whole class do it and pull individual kids to check on progress.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use it with 6 students. For half hour an hour per day, everyone in my class is either doing RLRN or another fluency and comprehension practice (newsela, DRC, etc.) based on their goals. I find I have enough time to hear all 6 at least once in that half hour, and I set up the others to be self-grading and I just check in with them about incorrect answers.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 02-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
doing RLRN or another fluency and comprehension practice (newsela, DRC, etc.) based on their goals. I find I have enough time to hear all 6 at least once in that half hour, and I set up the others to be self-grading and I just check in with them about incorrect answers.
That sounds great! Iíd love to dedicate a half hour a day but I would have to compromise something else.

What is newsela and DRC? Are they free resources?

Haley23

Old 02-20-2019, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you a self-contained teacher or do your students spend time in gen ed? Some of my students do read naturally during small group literacy time in gen ed (when they're not meeting with the teacher, obviously). The classroom teachers who followed through with implementing it were happy to have something productive that those students could do during independent time.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Are you a self-contained teacher or do your students spend time in gen ed? Some of my students do read naturally during small group literacy time in gen ed (when they're not meeting with the teacher, obviously). The classroom teachers who followed through with implementing it were happy to have something productive that those students could do during independent time
I do both self contained and In class support but only self contained for language arts. ... what Iíve noticed with asking gen ed teachers to have students work on it in their class is that their is very little follow through with things that they need to monitor (versus having the student read independently or listen to audio books)

WGReading

Old 02-20-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Read Naturally has lots of times when a teacher or adult need to be present to check the student out on the reading and questions. There is a game the students can play while they wait for the teacher or "teacher" to be present, but you wouldn't want them waiting in that place in the program for long.
We use it in my building as a reading intervention. A para-educator supervises groups of up to 4 students while they use the program.
The results we've seen have been mixed in terms of increases in fluency. But I do like it as an intervention when we need to have an uncertificated person working with the students. And since our school is Title I and high ESL population, the nonfiction texts help them learn about some topics they aren't familiar with, and it also gives them a chance to practice answering multiple choice and matching questions for test taking strategies.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
That sounds great! I’d love to dedicate a half hour a day but I would have to compromise something else.

What is newsela and DRC? Are they free resources?
Oh, I didn't realize I was in the special ed board. I just saw the "Read Live" subject line and clicked on it.

Newsela is free, but paid is even better.
DRC is the Evan Moore Daily Reading Comprehension.

I do this as part of my reading curriculum, so where I used to spend 70 minutes on reading novels and informational text, I only spend 30 to 40 and another 30 is spent on Read Live. It's a trade off.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

theroad

Homework
Old 02-24-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hello -

I assign it as homework - I only have one student in my substantially separate room that the program is appropriate for, at least at this point. This student's parents are very hands on and willing to assist her with the program when necessary, which is a great added bonus in supporting her with it as a homework assignment!

Otherwise, if you have multiple students who could benefit, you could assign it as a center? I currently use Lexia as a center in my classroom and it's worked out great... many of my students prefer to work independently and have enjoyed seeing themselves "level up" - Read Live is similar in that way!

Good luck!
theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 02-26-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Hello -

I assign it as homework - I only have one student in my substantially separate room that the program is appropriate for, at least at this point. This student's parents are very hands on and willing to assist her with the program when necessary, which is a great added bonus in supporting her with it as a homework assignment!

Otherwise, if you have multiple students who could benefit, you could assign it as a center? I currently use Lexia as a center in my classroom and it's worked out great... many of my students prefer to work independently and have enjoyed seeing themselves "level up" - Read Live is similar in that way!

Good luck!
Iíve definitely considered assigning it for homework another teacher at my school has done that in the past. When you do that do you just have them log in at home and work until they get to the cold/hot reads where a teacher needs to sign in?