Help

The VENT

Teacher Evaluations

>

IcyPeppermint

Teacher Evaluations
Old 05-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is not a vent, but I think this board gets more traffic. I wanted to hear advice and opinions: what do you think about giving kids teacher evaluations? Do you take them seriously? I usually give them but a couple of years ago I stopped.

I teach 9th grade and I gave them a teacher evaluation. I am not complaining but how seriously should I take them? I had a lot comment on how the class wasn't rigorous enough but I struggle with getting them to complete anything on their own at our district, we are encouraged (the right word is not allowed) to fail students. I can be rigorous but struggled with getting them to do the easiest tasks. Today, we just colored goal sheets and filled out the teacher evaluation--I had kids either not color them with effort or struggle to complete both handouts!

I also had comments about certain students being disruptive and that I allow it. In my district, the VP, although the sweetest man, does not discipline and the principal lets athletes slide. In years past when I had mouthy or talkative kids, I would redirect the behavior, but never let admin handle it for fear that the kid would come back with a smile on their face knowing I had no real power. How do you handle kids who can be too talkative without competent admin?

Again, not venting. I handed out the evaluations so I know I need to not complain but reflect. Just wanted to know how seriously you take the comments of school children on your teaching

IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think if you give them you need to be prepared for the good and the bad.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 05-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have to give our students a "perception survey" every year as part of our evaluation. It does not have a weight in our final score, but it is a piece we have to submit.

I have had some neat insight from my 3rd grade students. One of the questions is: "We waste time in this class". Quite a few of my students said yes to that and I was puzzled. I felt like I was a task master and kept them busy. Then , I heard myself say "Line up! We are wasting time!" one day and it clicked!

The surveys have made me reflect a bit more on my teaching. I also learned that one of our spelling words needs to be teacher.... a lot of their comments said I was a great 'techer'
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 05-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I give a survey to my students. It's not for a formal evaluation, but I do like to receive their input. For the most part, the students are very honest. It's helped me decide what works, what can be changed, and what can be scrapped. I think it's very helpful because their comments/insights tend to be better than the admin evaluations. They are also older elementary so they can articulate things better than some of the younger students.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I give a survey.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's only for my eyes, though. I like to hear what the kids have to say. It helps me develop and modify my lessons and my classroom management.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our students fill out a teacher survey for the sate, and it affects our evaluation. Ten questions that need to be answered by rating 1 - 5. You know it's a popularity thing! If you're an easy fun teacher you get the highest ratings, if you have high expectations and make them work, you get the lowest ratings. Heck, if I was offered this opportunity when I was in middle school I would have done the same thing.

I used to have my students fill one out that I made - just for my information. That one was valid and worthwhile.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

I don't take what kids say seriously
Old 05-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Because I know how stupid I was a teenager, and I know that most of what kids say is motivated only by doing less for a higher grade. Moreover, the so-called experts even say that adolescents' brains aren't fully developed, even as seniors in high school. Why would I take what they say seriously? You can't have it both ways (kids can't be incapable of any accountability and all-knowing education experts).

I do occasionally have informal conversations about with kids I trust about what was on the SAT or what they're doing in the dual credit version of my content area.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I could see this being useful information if it's for the teacher's eyes only (not being sent to admin or used as part of the teacher's actual eval). I would think you'd have to take everything with a grain of salt, but if you keep seeing the same comments over and over again, that might be something to think about.

Last year, I had a student who was constantly making comments related to me "never smiling" or "being unhappy." The comments were rude and I told her so, BUT it did make me reflect about how I'm coming off to students.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

If you
Old 05-19-2019, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Are struggling with discipline, there are some great resources online. I believe you should not look to admin unless it is very serious offense. I think you can find some high school behavior programs.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

IcyPeppermint

Really Like This Advice
Old 05-20-2019, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I really like this advice and need to remember it!! If I have witnessed children being irresponsible, what made me think I should trust their comments 100%?? Thanks. And you're right, most of the comments were by students who were not willing to put in the work, but wanted an A.

IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote