Teachers' Lounge

Simple accomplishments?

>

amiga13

Simple accomplishments?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:40 AM

Quite a while ago someone posted this:
Quote:
I roll my eyes when someone posts about completing a simple household task that in reality is "no big deal." It reminds me of the mindset of a toddler saying, "Look at me, Mommy! Look at me!"
I was wounded. I know this describes some of my posts. Iíve thought about it and thought about it. I even apologized to the person and tried not to post the small things Iíve managed to do, the things DH always did.

However, having obsessed over this criticism, I realize I like my simple accomplishments. Iím not UVA laying a floor or choppie redoing a deck, but Iím accomplishing things for me. I believe, at 68, learning to do things that were done by DH before he passed away, really is a good thing FOR ME. Iím sorry if I offend, but Iím excited by my ordinary accomplishments.

So hereís my new one: Iíve been working with a personal trainer for 5 months to help with my strength and horrendous balance. Yesterday was a great session. Nothing a toddler couldnít accomplish, but it was huge for me. Simple work with the floor ladder and weightsóthings I wouldnít even have attempted 5 months ago. Hereís my biggest toddler accomplishment: I can jump! I canít jump as well as a toddler, but Iím improving and it means a lot to me.

Do you care about your simple accomplishments?

What have you accomplished lately? (It can be a big accomplishment)

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 07-09-2019, 05:48 AM

Thatís awesome! I believe in celebrating even the small accomplishments. Just like when we praise studentsí efforts, acknowledging and praising the little things helps give everyone more motivation and encouragement to keeping going.

And often, what seems small to someone else is huge to another person. Yesterday I called our insurance and finally got our new car added on to our plan. Now this is certainly no big deal, but I hate making phone calls, and have been sick sick sick. Yesterday was a hugely busy day for me (running the first day of VBS, doctors appointment, and then grocery shopping, all while feeling badly) so I was proud of myself for still squeezing in that phone call. And when I told Dh, he sweetly thanked me for making the time to do it. And I felt good.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-09-2019, 05:48 AM

I think we need to delight in simple accomplishments! The big stuff doesn't come around very often, and we need to delight in the ordinary. And sometimes simple for one person, does not mean simple for another. A lot of hard work went into your jumping growth and you should feel good about that! Way to go!

I am really not a good runner....as in running for 5 minute intervals is hard for me. I hate doing it, but want to be fit and healthy. I did a run yesterday using my app. I was feeling discouraged because it still felt so hard to complete. But, I looked back at my pace for the same exact run two months ago and my pace was more than a minute better. I felt happy about that.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Accomplishments
Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 AM

That is a big accomplishment, quite frankly.

I believe we should acknowledge our accomplishments, at the very least to ourselves. It makes us feel productive and vital to society. Keep on posting, friend!
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

SleepEatTeach

Old 07-09-2019, 05:51 AM

I remember reading that and I felt the same way you did. I rolled my eyes at that comment and didn't let it bother me. What's simple for one person may not be for another. I enjoy reading your simple accomplishments. If others don't, let them roll their eyes and move on by. I am super proud of some of the things I accomplish, which to others are probably eye roll worthy . As a single woman I have accomplished many things I never thought I would be able to.

SleepEatTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I understand...
Old 07-09-2019, 05:58 AM

Sometimes, on one of the running groups I belong to, a person will complain about their time as being slow. My reality is that generally, the time they complain about is much faster than my best. I would love to have that time. What is easy or basic for some is not that way for all.

My accomplishment is signing up for 2 5K races next weekend and a kayaking class in two weeks. I have never kayaked and had a chance to take a class. I have been running on the treadmill these days, so doing a race outdoors is a bit of a departure for me.

I also fixed a hole in my wall when a Command hook tore the wall. You cannot see that spot now.

Rock on Amiga! I applaud you!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I
Old 07-09-2019, 06:02 AM

Brushed my teeth!! I have a 7 month old and some days that IS my accomplishment.

Iím also someone who has a very long punch list of things to do but I NEED the little accomplishments to encourage & motivate me. Otherwise itís too easily to become overwhelmed.

Please keep posting and encouraging. I donít always post but I love to read each one
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-09-2019, 06:02 AM

I am working on getting healthy this summer. I have been pop free for 5 weeks. It's a simple thing but huge for me. I gave up Mountain Dew on New Year's Eve and started drinking Coke a week later. I know a lot of people think it's not a big deal but it's huge for me. I have drank pop all my life. I am now working on getting 4500 steps a day. This again is a small thing but big for me especially in the hot Iowa summers when I just want to sit in the air. I am adding steps each week and hope to be smaller when school starts. I have really let myself go, with the help of anxiety medicines, not an excuse I know. I am happy for myself for the first time in several years. I wish it would happen over night but I know it won't and will keep my pace and get there gradually. So small things are a huge accomplishment. I tell myself this daily.
I don't think any of us set out to be rude to others but sometimes it might come off that way. I think we should all congratulate each other, no one knows what they is other going through themselves. Amiga13, I love hearing about your daily walks and seeing your pictures. I have never been to California so your posts really help me live a beach life too. For those on here who hike, run, and any other awesome feat I love hearing about your experiences too. I have been a member for several years and mainly lurk but do post sometimes. I believe this board is a safe and happy place for all of us to share our lives. Okay, done have a great day everyone.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-09-2019, 06:16 AM

I was inspired by both amiga13 and Zia to walk more than I had been doing since retirement. I now walk about five and half miles per day
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-09-2019, 06:18 AM

Sometimes the little things are the hardest! I know I tend to procrastinate, and it's easy to push off little things that aren't urgent and don't have a pressing deadline. However, the longer they get pushed off, the harder it is to force yourself to do it!

One little thing I did was organize and clean out my home office desk. I feel so good to have gotten it done!

Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Simple accomplishments
Old 07-09-2019, 06:21 AM

Why measure the size of any accomplishment? Every person has goals they want to achieve. We need to build each other up and celebrate rather than knock each other down at the knees.

My latest accomplishment is that I can now drive short distances. Seems silly, right? But I had my knee replaced a little over two weeks ago and have been housebound as well as dependent on others to take me places. I lost my independence.

Being able to drive myself to the grocery store and outpatient physical therapy is exciting!
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 07-09-2019, 06:24 AM

I decorated my back porch. Finally. I had collected things last year I wanted to hang outside, but never got around to doing it. The decor was stuffed in the attic at the end of the season last year and it is now July, but it is finally done!

Simple enough, but still an accomplishment of which I am proud!
eagles23 is online now   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 AM

I've done lots of "little" things this summer around the house that I usually don't have time to get to... organized my home office, hung some decorations around the house, fixed my mixer, went through my Christmas decorations and purged some of them. I felt GREAT after finishing each thing on my list! Life is about the "little" things. Sometimes I think today's world expects us to be bigger, better, more showy. I love my simple little life and I try to celebrate each moment.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I think we as teachers
Old 07-09-2019, 06:42 AM

should all remember that what is really simple for one person is a challenge for another. We should encourage and applaud all who accomplish something new.

For example: I have a real problem with making a big meal for a group and having everything done at the same time. My DD makes it look foolproof and does it without thinking. OTOH I can bake everything from pies to pastries with no problem at all. I was asked to make a wedding cake for a friend, so I got a book out of the library and without lessons could make sugar paste flowers that looked real. I found a lot of people failed at this even with lessons. I don't get excited when someone compliments my flowers because for me it is just easy. I do expect my family to give me props for getting everything on the table at the same time without something not being done, and without finding I left something in the oven after dinner is over.

So, no one should scoff at the things large and small that we accomplish. We should applaud the effort and the fact that we are keeping true to the teacher motto..those who dare to teach, must never cease to learn.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 AM

I remember that post and wondering if the person had a spouse who did those little accomplishments. Cuz when you have to suddenly learn to do them yourself they are not little.

I am proud of what I have learned to do out of necessity.

Amiga you are an inspiration for me. Now that I have control over household issues I am working on myself.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-09-2019, 07:04 AM

Hey, personally Iím happy I made my way outta bed to the couch today 😂 and gave myself a much needed pedicure last night lol.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-09-2019, 07:41 AM

I think simple accomplishments are great! If someone doesn't like reading about them, they don't have to. I recently got rid of a bunch of old clothes and it felt great! I have more to go, but to be honest it felt like a big accomplishment to me because I've procrastinated for so long. When I take care of my grandson for a day or overnight (or 4 days and nights as I did recently), that is a big deal to me because it's tough chasing a one year old around! So everyone has their own standards of what is a big accomplishment to them.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 07-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Simple accomplishments- I dont think there is anything simple when you accomplish something.

Some people need a reminder that our daily lives are NOT the same as others.

As teachers, where we have to accommodate for everything in the classroom, some seem to forget that in the outside world, those rules also apply.

amiga- you go girl! keep on sharing those accomplishments, no matter how simple they may seem.

I, for one can not cook so if I actually can cook a hamburger without it becoming a hockey puck- that is an accomplishment. If I can do the laundry and put it away- that is a simple accomplishment I am proud of. If I can even do simple things- those are accomplishments for me.
Lets lift each other up not assume that something that is easy or simple for us, is also for others.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 07-09-2019, 08:38 AM

amiga13, you have no idea how many times I say to myself

"if amiga13 can do it, I can too"

I love reading everyone's accomplishments whether it is simple or complex.
I admire all of them but I personally relate more to your "I put my pants on standing up" posts than to some of the other posts.

As for me, I hate putting gas in the car. When I do it myself, I feel as if it should be duly noted and recorded on my "permanent record".
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-09-2019, 08:48 AM

you never know other people's lives and what they are going through. if they feel proud enough to brag about it, then it truly is an accomplishment!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Bravo! Bravo! You should feel accomplished.

Sometimes those small accomplishments mean more. I applaud you for all that you have done since your husband passed. Each new thing, whether big or small, makes a positive difference-a personal growth.

Keep posting those accomplishments, please! You are an inspiration to me!!

My accomplishment was I half-a$$ed cleaned my school stuff out of a bay in the garage until I lifted something up and saw a snake-in the GARAGE!! I have a very unhealthy phobia regarding snakes. Needless to say, I’m done in the garage.
noonespecial is online now   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

amiga13 - you're success is great!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:27 AM

I have had a few health set backs in my 50's that knocked me right off my healthy high horse. This summer, I went hiking while having a small bout of vertigo. It's a new normal and it was a short hike, but I did it.
Keep posting the accomplishments or just PM me! I'm proud of you! Just as we each have talents, we each have challenges. I was blessed with excellent physical health and now have to accept less than easy sometimes to continue to have fun.
Each step forward keeps us hopeful. Keep up the great work! You inspire me! (I want to get back to feeling the "burn.")
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-09-2019, 09:32 AM

Also, I like reading about little accomplishments because it makes me feel less overwhelmed by the myriad of "little" things I've been trying to motivate myself to do. Like, reading here about the person cutting back on drinking "pop" (in my region that would be soda, lol) is something I need to do, too. Reading about that poster's teaching her goal is a reminder and motivation for me. I've been working on that, too, and validation of the struggle helps!
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Accomplishments
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM

I love hearing about everyone's accomplishments, and in my mind and heart, they are all big!

My accomplishment today:
~Five weeks ago, I started walking with a neighbor two morning each week. The first time we walked 2 1/2 miles. I literally turned purple and was light headed. My neighbor was concerned. My regular color didn't return for over an hour.
~Today - We walked 3 1/2 miles in just under an hour. I did not turn purple! I was flushed, but didn't turn colors or feel light headed. It is much warmer now, and we walked further. Yea Me!
Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

accomplishments
Old 07-09-2019, 09:49 AM

I did not see that post about small accomplishments. I love how supportive people on PT are, so I wonder if the negative response was written in jest.

Whatever the case, you have to remember that anything you post online in any forum may get negative feedback because when people are anonymous/hidden behind screen names, they may react differently than if they were sitting at a table across from you.

Be proud of your (no matter how small) accomplishments. My accomplishment of the day: "walking" a filing cabinet from one corner of the room to another.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Similar boat for me Amiga- divorce here.

I threaded and successfully used the weed eater to weed eat and edge. Itís a huge fear!
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-09-2019, 10:12 AM

I didn't see the post, Amiga, but to me there is no so such thing as a small accomplishment. If it's something you thought you couldn't do and you did it, gold star time!

I do soak in what my friends accomplish IRL and here on PT. I have a friend with bipolar depression and lupus. She went grocery shopping yesterday, froze three meals and made a couple phone calls. HUGE victory! Some of you are dealing with ill family members, loss, challenges at work, etc. and yet you KEEP MOVING. Gold star!

As for my recent accomplishments:
-I went to Target and STUCK TO BUDGET. So much cute teacher crap!
-I purged so much out of one room that I filled our truck bed with stuff for Goodwill and the dump.

Last edited by bookgeek59; 07-09-2019 at 10:55 AM..
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 07-09-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Do you care about your simple accomplishments?
Absolutely! Whether it's something little or big, an accomplishment is just that. I like reading about other's successes. If it makes them feel good about completing it, then I'm happy for them.

My accomplishment lately: planning, buying food, and preparing snacks for Vacation Bible School all week. I like the foods to be "fun", so it's not cookies and juice - it's jungle snacks to match the theme this year - like hot dogs that look like snakes (which apparently was not appreciated by one parent who posted it on Facebook ).
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Well , let PT folks roll their eyes at the ďtoddlerĒ PT members who post their simple accomplishments. Iím sorry that a member even used the term. Typically weíre better than that.

Simple accomplishments can be huge so letís not judge each other. Some folks are battling such overwhelming life events that getting out of bed and taking a shower is a victory.

My ďsimpleĒ accomplishment today was washing off the patio and outdoor furniture. Sounds simple but It took me about three hours. In the past it would have taken about an hour. I had to move a heavy barbecue, smoker, chairs, table, potting table, and side table. I have no one to help lug these items that used to be moved by two of us. Iím on my own now and at 70 it ainít easy. Washing the patio was a bit frustrating because the gosh darn quick snap attachments to the hose and power sprayer were broken and it took a long time to find where the new ones were stored, where the wrenches are stored, and how to pull out the broken bits. Every little step was was lesson in patience and persistence.

I donít expect the celebration that a toddler needs and I enjoy reading the accomplishments of others.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

I love the "little things"
Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 AM

It's why I write -everything- on my to-do list, it feels so good to cross them off! My counselor actually recommended this to me when I was having a particularly rough time - sometimes just crossing off "get out of bed" was an accomplishment. Life is hard, so we should take all the wins we can get no matter their size.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-09-2019, 04:14 PM

There is no simple accomplishments only small minded people.

I applaud you for your jumping accomplishment. I have been putting off washing new clothes, finally did it. It was huge for me because of my knee problems.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

I totally understand
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 PM

Sometimes we just need a virtual high-5. Be proud of your accomplishments, big and small.

After my husband passed away I had to do many things I had never done before. I proudly told many people this spring that I changed the spark plug AND the oil in my mower. The really hard part was getting someone at Lowes to help me locate the items I needed.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 07-10-2019, 05:25 AM

Amiga, please don't stop posting about your "little accomplishments" - you are an inspiration to me. My husband passed away a year and a half ago and I am learning to do many of the things he used to take care of with help from my son. It sometimes feels scary and overwhelming when everything is suddenly on your shoulders alone.

Your physical health journey is inspiring me also as my balance and stamina has gone downhill lately. Keep posting - we love hearing from you.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 AM

I always say- to each their own. It does not bother me what others think. I have been so proud of myself for washing right away the dishes I use. I have not used the dishwasher in over a week. To me its such a great feeling to see my sink clean every time Iím in the kitchen.
maui is offline   Reply With Quote