Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Teaching jobs in Nothern Ohio??

>

Kelly

Teaching jobs in Nothern Ohio??
Old 10-09-2005, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello can anyone tell me if there job opennings in Ohio? I am orginally from Oberlin Ohio. I am hoping to move back to Ohio in about 2 years and was wondering what the teaching job market is like? I can teach regular education or special education. My heart is in Special education. We are looking around Medina area, Lorain county area, and up above the Cleveland area, I have a sister in Wiloughby. Anyway need some in sights. I want to come home. I have never taught in Ohio so need to know about what kind of test there are for licensure? What are requirements in Ohio schools for teachers? Are teachers required to do a dossier to keep your job? thanks any infomation will be great Kelly

Teach 5

Ohio
Old 10-17-2005, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Kelly,
I'm in southern Ohio. They're aren't a lot of regular education jobs here, not like in some parts of the country. But, there are usually openings in the special education field, so you should be able to find a job in that field.

Check out the following website for licensure info.
http://www.ode.state.oh.us/teaching-...ion_licensure/

Good luck to you! Welcome home!
ogteacher

ogteacher

Welcome Home!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Kelly,

What grade levels do you teach? Do you love to tailor the curriculum to meet the individual needs of the students? I think you must if you love special ed. My school is not in northern, but southern Ohio -a college town not unlike Oberlin. Our school will be having a couple of positions coming up next year and the following year. Our website is: www.antiochschool.org.

Chris

Ellen9832

I have taught in Ohio for 16 years
Old 01-21-2006, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First, I would like to welcome you home. It is great news when a young person moves back to Ohio. I grew up near Akron. I lived in Mentor for 10 years, but now I live in rural Portage County.

As to your questions, you should go to the Ohio Department of Education website, and look for liscensure requirements. I am reluctant to recommend any particular course of action to you, as every sitution differs. However, I am certain that you will be able to obtain licensure. At this point in Ohio, some teachers are still under certification, but soon everyone will be converted to 5 year certificates. I currently have an eight year professional certificate that will expire in 2010. To recieve licensure, I must complete 6 hours of college credit related to my field, or earn 120 contact hours through a local licensure team. No dossier is required.

The job market for teachers in Northern Ohio seems to have leveled off somewhat from two years ago. Funding is an ongoing struggle. Two years ago, funding to almost all public schools was drastically cut, leading to massive layoffs, especially in the larger districts. Last year, I personally know of several teachers who were rehired, especially in Special Ed. If you have under 5 years experience you will be looked on favorably.

I hope this answer at least some of your questions! Good luck to you!

Ellen

Last edited by Ellen9832; 01-21-2006 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: missed word, added smile