Career Decisions

Career Change due to company closing

>

live2educate2

Career Change due to company closing
Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Greetings,

I hope everyone is doing well on this Marvelous Monday.

I'm new to this site and very excited to be apart of it. I have read the advice and experience from new and seasoned teachers throughout the board and now I would like to ask for some advice regarding my current situation. I apologize that this is a long post but here goes...

I am 42 years old. I have been working for the same company for almost 12 years and the company is closing within the next two years.

I have a bachelors degree and I am currently enrolled in a MAT program and if I complete the entire program I will get a MAT degree, however, if I only take the 4 courses required for licensure, student teach for 1 year and pass the praxis core and praxis II, I will qualify for a Class A standard 5 year renewable license. I am considering only doing the licensure requirements and NOT completing the entire MAT program becuase of the costs and the length of time it takes to complete the program.

If I decide not to complete the entire MAT program, will I be limiting my teaching career in any way? Is it true that if you want to move into administrative roles, a MED is the best degree and not a MAT degree? Finally, is the Praxis II core content exam the test for the area of teaching endorsment you are seeking?

Thank you so much.

live2educate2 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 03-01-2016, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my opinion a Master's of Arts in Education:Teaching (what I have and got with credential), isn't that impressive and doesn't mean much, except you start off more in the middle of the pay scale and get an added yearly stipend on top of your salary. I think some people are impressed by it though, as it's beyond the credential. For administration in my state that won't help at all. You have to have taught like 3 to 5 years....then complete an admin program for your preliminary credential(admin). If the program offers it, they offer a Master's of Arts in Educational Leadership and Administration....so basically a principals master's...which would give one an edge. I was reading you can do a lot of higher up positions with it. Just my two cents.

I guess you need to decide based on what you think would be best. My teacher program was summer through the half of the next summer and I got my master's with my credential...basically one full year. To me it was worth it to get them together. I didn't see myself having time to go back and get it. It gave me a little impressive edge coming out of a program as a new teacher and as I said sat me smack in the middle of the pay scale versus the bottom. Now if I were to go into administration down the road, I'd prob do the program that would get me the second admin master's degree. So to answer your question, they really only care about you getting the credential but a master's will definitely get you more money in general.... Twelve years later, a master's for teaching really doesn't mean much in education though and it wouldn't help at all with administration. Now if the program was longer than my program I may not have gone for it.. I do know a teacher who got her credential and continued on and got her master's the second year while employed at my school... Good luck with whatever you decide!
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

live2educate2

Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for replying.

Tommytwo

Old 03-14-2016, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some places if you do not have student teaching you cannot obtain a teaching license. Sometimes you might be able to do this through an options program at the district. But you still have to be in an education program. Good Luck
Tommytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

live2educate2

Old 03-14-2016, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Tommytwo's

The education program I'm in has a required a teaching component that must be completed in order to obtain a teaching license.