Career Decisions

How to job hunt?

>

Sara9000099

Sara9000099

How to job hunt?
Old 04-21-2016, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I currently teach at a charter school that specialize s in Autism. I have MS/HS students and for the most part I like my job most days. However, several people have gotten "let go" this year including my mentor. The paperwork gets to be a little much and I know about the requirements I was on an IEP myself years ago in school. Most of the time I feel the school is understanding of my disabilities (CP, ADHD and LD) which is why I have managed to stick it out for 3 years. However, I would like to get back into the public schools because of pay, union and closer to home. I wanting to buy a house someday and I don't feel like I can do that at my current school. And just a bunch a little stuff like not having a regular custodian and doing things a school nurse would do make me want to see what else is out there. How do I go about getting references? I'm willing to stay another year but I would like to move on. It's not been easy for me to find a position so I don't want to burn bridges where I am without having a new job to go to.

EagleI

Old 04-24-2016, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What I would do is search your county website. Ours has a job listing of all positions available so I assume other county school websites would have the same thing. As for references, use teachers you work with who are no longer at the charter school, like your Mentor. Usually Charter schools have a higher turn over (at least around here) so I would use anyone else who is no longer there.

Charter Schools are great (my kids go to one) but i understand about wanting to be closer and working for a union instead of being "at will" to the admin where you currently work.
EagleI is offline   Reply With Quote