Help an aspiring author get the facts straight? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Help an aspiring author get the facts straight?

>

thelostsheep

Help an aspiring author get the facts straight?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, all.
I've written a novel and I'm in the process of editing and polishing (the real work!) and I need to make sure what I'm writing is realistic and plausible.

My main character is a teacher who initially gets "transferred," but after interviewing, isn't offered a position because it is filled by an outside hire.

It's all a ruse actually so that the principal's newly graduated son can have a job at his school. Oh, the horror!

Anyway, she decides to sub, hoping something will become available. However, she is not a good fit at the school where she is long term subbing and is fired. Well, she quits at the same time, but...

My question I guess is the formality of all of this. Would she need to officially resign from teaching? What would be her process? Even though I'm a teacher myself, I'm not sure how this would work.

If this makes ANY sense and you can shed some wisdom, please do. Thanks so much!

thelostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

facts for novel
Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not going to be able to answer your question because I have no idea what would be correct. I just want to say "thank you" for doing some legwork and trying to get the facts straight.

I hate it when I read a book and you can tell the author half-a$$ed it because the details aren't correct!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

thelostsheep

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for responding. Should I post this in a different category so more people see it? I wasn't sure exactly where to post.

eeza

facts for novel
Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to figure out where things go.

I think the Lounge might be a good place because it's not completely teaching related. If the moderator thinks it should be on a different board, he/she will move it.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-31-2016, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found this post on accident (I didn't know this board existed!). I'm really unclear on what you're asking here. The teacher was transferred, but then not offered the position? IME with transfers, you interview FIRST, and then if you are offered, it is yours. It wouldn't be taken out from under you because you wouldn't get the transfer approved until it was finalized. If it did, for some reason, get taken away or eliminated, you'd have rights back to your original position or you'd have first refusal of another position in the same district. Or do you mean the teacher moves to another place (transfers physical locations) and then tries to interview for jobs there?

I'm not sure where you are thinking about the resigning, but I'm guessing between the original transferred job and the subbing? Maybe you could have a teacher who tries to transfer but is let go instead and then she subs?

I agree with eeza that getting all the facts straight is SO appreciated by your readers

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

thelostsheep

Hey, thanks.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, I guess what I failed to mention is that this transfer was involuntary. She was told she would have a job, just not in her current school. She does interview at another school in the county, but does not get the job.

She subs, but quits a long term position.

So would she have to resign from teaching? Or would the fact that she didn't get a position after the transfer mean she wasn't under a contract? The more I type, the more confusing it sounds!

This happened to me. Write what you know, right? I was involuntary transferred, yet I had to interview for my new position. I went from high school to middle. I ended up getting the job, so I don't know how this fictional story would work out.

TheFlyingPen

Union Issues
Old 07-02-2016, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can't get "fired" just like that... there's a Loudermille hearing and due process.

I've been there for a friend of mine who got terminated as opposed to being forced to resign...

There's a lot to the ins and outs of it if you want to get into all those details.
TheFlyingPen is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 07-23-2016, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Subs aren't really "let go" and R not under contract. No she wouldn't have to resign. If she were nonrenewed in a position not subbing, yes it's better to resign before they issue a non-re-elect
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote