Career Change to Social Work/Guidance (HELP) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Career Change to Social Work/Guidance (HELP)

>

lollipoplady

Career Change to Social Work/Guidance (HELP)
Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Recently, I have completed my first year of teaching English as a Second Language. Naturally, I grew to hate the school and the circumstances that I was put under. The program at the school was insufficient to say the least. I almost resigned a dozen times, but I am ultimately happy that I stuck it out.

ANYWAYS.. long story, short. I had to move to a different state with my fiance, which put my teaching career on hold for various reasons. This has led me to contemplate if teaching is really for me. I have always been interested in Social Work and/or Guidance Counseling. Now, I am looking for advice, opinions, past experiences that you may have had to help me in my decision.

My questions are:
-If I received my Master's in Social Work, would I be qualified to be a Guidance Counselor?
-If I am still looking to work within the school environment and help youth, which profession would be best?
(Social Work, Guidance Counselor, or Educational Psychologist)
-As job prospects goes, which career would be best?
My fiance being in the Military, I will have to move again in the future. Therefore, I would like a career that isn't heavily based on the area that I am in.
-Also, being 24, fairly young compared to others in the education industry; will I be overlooked in the Guidance Counselor position due to my age? I imagine schools would choose someone with more experience over me.

You can tell that I am a little everywhere with where I would like to extend my career, so if you have any information for me I would appreciate it!

lollipoplady is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To become a school counselor you need to have completed your master's degree in school counseling not social work. They are 2 different programs.

School counseling jobs are hard to come by. Most counselors get the job and stay until they retire. In that track you would deliver group guidance lessons to whole classes of students. Hold small group sessions for specific problems like anger management - Usually before it after school. You would likely end up being your building testing cooridinator and be involved in writing 504 plans or be in on IEPs. Most schools want you to have a psych examiner endorsement so that you can administer IQ tests for IEPs and gifted.

I'm not sure about the social worker track or responsibilities.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

being an educational spychologist
Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
If I am still looking to work within the school environment and help youth, which profession would be best?
I am a school psych and my degree is in educational psychology. The paths for each of your interests are different though they are under the same umbrella. School psychs are in demand where I'm at and I imagine it's similar in most other areas because SPED is in demand in general. I hear that if you get an Ed.S degree rather than simply a masters degree, it's easier for you to get jobs in other states. You'd have to look into that though.

Let me know if you want to know more about the schooling or what it's like being a school psych. Also, you can interview or shadow a few in your area.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

lollipoplady

What's it like??!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Would you mind going into detail about your specific job demands and/or responsibilities?

I am sorry that I am not tooooo familiar with the position. I've done some online research. However, we all know the reality of the situation can be very different.

Thank you in advance!
lollipoplady is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

being an educational psychologist
Old 08-01-2016, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have to assess students for SPED as initial assessment or to see if they still qualify. Those all come with reports that I have to type. I also sit in on SSTs and 504s quite often even though both are considered gen ed functions. I attend IEP meeting all the time, sometimes I have several in one day. I also do counseling (not therapy) with individuals or groups. I occasionally have to deal with behavior, but it's not too often at the secondary level.

Anything else you'd like to know?

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote