Help

Career Decisions

Are a lot of Teachers this Evil?

>

TeachingI

Are a lot of Teachers this Evil?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was falsely accused of misconduct by a Kindergarten aide I spent a single day teaching with. The investigation did not find any evidence of wrongdoing, and her story had a lot of holes and inexplicable behaviors in it. However, she got four of her teacher friends to back her up, and because of that, the district says they can't take the risk of allowing me to teach in any of it's schools.

While I never do anything inappropriate around the kids, there is nothing I can do to stop someone from saying I did, which in the eyes of the district is the same as me doing it. Clearly, as a male teacher, anyone who wants to can get me fired (or worse) whenever they want. My question is, how many such people will do so? Was I extraordinarily unlucky to encounter the career equivalent of a serial killer, or is this what teachers do now? Have they realized what a powerful weapon has been placed in their hands, and now utilize it to get rid of people they don't like?

I love teaching, and have already completed several graduate level classes, on my way to an MAT. There's little question that I'd do very well at it, and the kids all love me. However, are all my efforts doomed to end in tragedy? Will I have to move whenever someone gets mad at me, doesn't like me, or has a friend looking for a teaching job, and sees an easy way to make a quick vacancy? Or, are teachers like this aberrations, forming such a small minority of the overall teaching population that the chances of encountering another one is pretty remote?

TeachingI is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-25-2016, 01:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope she was an anomaly! We have one male third grade teacher in our lower elementary, and he is a well-established favorite. I'm pretty sure everyone would back him up! But I do hate that our culture makes it so easy to ruin men's lives, and worry about my son growing up in it, too.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Not in my district!
Old 06-25-2016, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Actually, men in elementary are highly valued because they are a minority. My P will look more closely at an application from a male than a female (maybe not fair, but true.) Our children need good male role models. Do not give up! Sorry that happened to you.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingI

Old 06-25-2016, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am so glad to hear that this sort of behavior is not typical. I think I'm going to continue my pursuit of a teaching degree, so long as I do not continue to run into things like this.

Last edited by TeachingI; 06-26-2016 at 09:30 AM..
TeachingI is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 07-31-2016, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

In my district this type of thing has begun to happen . . . to female teachers! Our superintendent and head of HR will listen to any nonsense anyone comes to them with, evidence or not, and a single accusation will cause them to force you to resign or they will 'drag you through the mud publicly.'

I think this is more of a leadership thing within a district rather than an evil teacher thing. What a sorry state of affairs!

I wish you the best of luck in your teaching career!

beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

KinderApp

Very common
Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My hubby is a Elem school teacher for 15 years. I am as well.
I agree with beagles2 and can relate. Principals, Asst. Principals, HR, etc listens to anything and everything and take it as the truth whether or not you are guilty. I honestly do not see how they run a campus let alone a very large district with the amount of time spent on this non-sense.
The bottom line: women are the worst to work for and with in an Elem school setting. I've heard it's better in Jr high and high school. The pettiness and politics in Elem school is absolutely rediculious! And I consider myself super pro-woman! I want a career change but with a Master's in education and 15 years under my belt I am not qualified for much else and feel stuck. If you get a petty, micromanaging, judgemental principal it's over.
Husband's story: 15th year of teaching (he has his master's in Admin) nothing but positive until a few days before the end of the school year this past year. Principals 1st year & the Admin was in his room maybe a total of 45 min all year. Yet he was told he wasn't up to par on this and that. He was devistated. Come to find out, the grade level chair was running and gossiping about him because she didn't like the way he was. He's pretty laid back & positive in grade level meetings as where they are intense and negative. I guess it rubbed her the wrong way all year and she ran to tattle. There are so many procedures and policies broken with this type of deal, for example, his yearly teacher eval was excellent. If there was an issues-it should have been brought up at the summative conference that's held between the admin & teacher. NOT a few days before the year before the year is over. Hubby was asked to move down a grade or two and he said no. He sent surveys to his former & current parents as well as the school staff and then shared the results with the principal. Long story short in both of our cases-it's like you have to fight for your job everyday as a teacher. Defend yourself & always be on-guard. Not ok. We are professionals and are treated like trash. Bathroom breaks, eating, and even getting a drink is analyzed by not only admin but teachers and parents. Insane.
KinderApp is offline   Reply With Quote

dismayedyear7

Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's not better in upper levels. Most admin haven't taught in 10+ years, have never dealt with 21st century issues in the classroom, have never dealt with being under the scrutiny of new evaluation systems, etc. They just have no clue.
dismayedyear7 is offline   Reply With Quote