Career Decisions

English 6-12 FL Exam

>

Deckisthe1

Deckisthe1

English 6-12 FL Exam
Old 03-01-2016, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I have failed the English 6-12 Exam twice now.
I did not major in English, so that's a big strike one, yet I have studied the guide book, read many of the classics, and subscribed to study.com for the tune of $100/month.

Any guidance, suggestions, or advice would be so appreciated. Did I mention how expensive this is getting???

live2educate2

Old 03-02-2016, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you thought about taking a prep class in person? You can search and see if any in person classes are held near you.
live2educate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
candle@2ends

candle@2ends

Study guides don't cover
Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The study guides offered do NOT cover the questions. I spent weeks studying poetry, memorizing authors, grammar, structure, etc. I was dumb-founded when I took the test. A lot of the questions are scenario based like "You have a group of four 9th graders what is the best way for them to study?". You have to put down the best answer when all of them sound right and are essentially an OPINION. Regular Language Arts questions don't seem to be the bulk of the test. And no, I did not pass and had a 4.0 in college.

If you buy any of the study guides you seem to be wasting money. None of the questions in the English 6-12 FTCE Study guides are anything like the test.

EagleI

No good study guides
Old 03-28-2016, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The study guides offered do NOT cover the questions. I spent weeks studying poetry, memorizing authors, grammar, structure, etc. I was dumb-founded when I took the test. A lot of the questions are scenario based like "You have a group of four 9th graders what is the best way for them to study?". You have to put down the best answer when all of them sound right and are essentially an OPINION. Regular Language Arts questions don't seem to be the bulk of the test. And no, I did not pass and had a 4.0 in college. If you buy any of the study guides you seem to be wasting money. None of the questions in the English 6-12 FTCE Study guides are anything like the test.
EagleI is offline   Reply With Quote
atill

atill

FTCE English 6-12
Old 04-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taken the test 4 times now...
I missed the first two times by 4pts and my third time by 2 (waiting on my new results)
Any suggestions or resources would be helpful!

EagleI

198!
Old 04-13-2016, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well shoot, test results just came in and they were a 198. Essay portion was a passing grade. Signed up again to take Multiple choice in May. It is very disappointing to miss it by only 2 points but encouraging at the same time. I am not sure how these tests are graded but it seems that if one more would have been answered correctly then 200 would have been achieved. Oh well keeping fingers crossed on the NEXT time around.

This book seems to cover some class room situation questions:

http://www.amazon.com/FTCE-English-C...h+6-12+english

But it was written by a professor at the University of Texas so I don't know how much knowledge she has of the Florida test. It seems to be helpful but it remains to be seen how much help it will really be.

Also check around your county for "boot camp" type classes for the GK test if you still need to take that. Some counties offer weekend classes to help prepare for the GK test.
gumby611

gumby611

English major
Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi, has anyone taken the essay portion of the ftce language arts 6-12? I passed the multiple choice portion but not the essay. I have never gotten less than a B on college papers and I thought I had nailed it. I evaluated a poem.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
gumby611

gumby611

English major
Old 04-14-2016, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Also, how are you guys getting your scores? I only received a passing. No score.
gumby611

gumby611

Essay portion
Old 04-15-2016, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hello,
I didn't pass it either. I was an english major and never got less than a B also.
I analyzed a poem about a women living in the woods in total isolation.
Do you remember the poem or short story that you chose?

thanks

EagleI

Essay
Old 04-19-2016, 01:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Gumby,

If you passed the multiple choice then you do not get a score. The state only issues you a score if you get a status of "NOT PASS". Since I passed the essay portion my only grade is "Passed". I chose the short story, poetry can have too many interpretations. On the essay I believe you have to have a score of 8 out of 12. On the multiple choice you need at least a 200. I missed it by 2 points.

gumby611

gumby611

Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Eagle,
That sucks to only miss by two points. You are right I should have choosen the story which I now remember was about tools. I just panicked and went with the poem. I am re-taking the essay this friday and have been practicing analyzing story passages. So scared.

Good Luck!

EagleI

Old 04-21-2016, 01:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, good luck to you to. My retake is coming in May. I really don't know what to expect but missing the multiple choice test by 2 points was encouraging and discouraging at the same time. The good thing is they let you know right then and there if you pass the multiple choice test. If I get another "not passed" I'll just sign up and take it again. Also signed up for the General Knowledge Test in June.

MrzTeach

Essay
Old 04-21-2016, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I passed the essay. My advice is to write the essay as you normally would, but make sure you use literary terms and devices in your essay.

Familiarize yourself with the Katherine Brush’s “The Birthday Party” and Guy de Maupassant's "The Necklace." Those are two of the choices I had/heard of.

Good luck!
MrzTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

gumby611

Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for the advice, I take my test tomorrow.
gumby611 is offline   Reply With Quote

gumby611

Title?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Another question,
Should I title my essay?

gumby611

Old 04-22-2016, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi all,
I just took the essay portion of the FTCE english 6-12.
I really thought I had nailed it this time until the test ended as I was typing my last sentence!! I also just realized that I mispelled the author's name.
I chose the story this time and the literary analysis was obvious and easy, just didn't finish.
60 min. was not enough time, I didn't have the chance to review my paper.
How many points are deducted for these mistakes I wonder?
I have certainly failed again.

EagleI

Old 04-24-2016, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Florida is pretty vague on how they grade. I am sure misspelled word will count some but probably not enough to make you fail the test. The bad thing about the essay is it normally takes around 30 days to get your results back so you have to wait on the score and then sign up for it again. Yes, it can get expensive but I have come to the conclusion Florida has found a money tree by charging so much for testing and retesting.

EagleI

Old 05-11-2016, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Retake of the multiple choice coming tomorrow morning!! Fingers crossed for a passing grade this time, 198 the first time maybe this time will be better!

EagleI

Old 05-12-2016, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

PASSED!!!!

I know I said before none of the resources are very helpful but the book linked above an Amazon had a lot of information. I don't know if it helped or not but it was read all the way through 2 times and got a passing score this morning!!

Nicvic70

Opposites
Old 10-02-2017, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I passed the essay the first time I took the test. Cannot pass the multiple choice. Would love to exchange notes.
Nicvic70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nicvic70

Me too
Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm at a loss. I have the book from amazon. I purchased an online book from a woman who took the test. I pass all the practice tests, yet I still fail the test. Have you passed yet?
Nicvic70 is offline   Reply With Quote