Help

Career Decisions

Is this petty?

>

MsTreble

Is this petty?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a class with a new...."influential" student. Unfortunately, this class operated in a smoother fashion before the new student arrived. Without giving many details:

-It's an elective course in high school that deals with the arts
-This class is interactive in most cases but the curriculum can still be taught by book, worksheet, and/or other basic means.

My question comes from this. I LOVE hands-on activities and showing related videos and getting the class up and moving but this particular student is spreading their bad attitude and snarky comments to other students (now 50%) so I don't feel the need to put forth that type of effort towards that type of behavior. Especially when I have another class (same subject) that is enthusiastic about learning the material and jumps at the opportunity to do something out of the box.

Am I being petty?
Thanks in advance for your help

MsTreble is online now   Reply With Quote

Tommytwo

Old 03-14-2016, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you have the student removed from the class since it is an elective? Or put her/him with another teacher or office with the book part. You do not have to put up with these types of behaviors and it is not fair to your other students.
Tommytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 03-14-2016, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Am I being petty?
No. If he's truly riling everyone else up, you are just being practical. If the class can't stay in control during the activity, the class can't do the activity. But if it's really just him, I agree with sending him out when he's acting up.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

megann831

Old 03-20-2016, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You should be happy it's just one student! If you speak with her you should be able to form a relationship so that this is no longer an issue. I know alteast where i teach having the student put in another class would not be an option unless it came down to something like the child threatening or assaulting you.
megann831 is offline   Reply With Quote