Career Decisions

Letters of Recommendation advice

>

CA Educator

CA Educator

Letters of Recommendation advice
Old 03-17-2016, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an elementary teacher with 14 years in the classroom. I currently commute an hour to my school, however, I am looking for a teaching job closer to my home and family. My problem is, do I let my administrator know now that I am in the market for a new job and therefore ask for a letter of recommendation now...or do I get letters from other people, and if so, who? I need current letters of recommendation for the application process and don't know if I should inform, then ask my administrator or not because then the cat's outta the bag!

K12ESLteacher

It depends
Old 03-30-2016, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are applying to jobs right now, and are required to provide letters of recommendation, then you might as well inform your admin that you will finish current school year and due to personal reasons will have to relocate and find a job closer to home, which is why you would very much appreciate if P or AP wrote you a letter of rec. However, if it is not so urgent, you can wait till the last week of school to inform your admin of your decision to relocate and find a new job. There are, however, some people you may ask for a letter of rec. For example, you can ask a literacy/match coach if you have one who has been working with you closely. You can ask a few from the teacher leaders/collaborative teachers you worked closely with. If a superintendent knows you well/observed you teach, he/she can also write you a letter of rec.

Best of luck!
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 04-02-2016, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know someone who wanted to move so she gathered letters from admin etc. However she never found a job there so she stayed...there are lots of reasons people resign/leave so admin should be understanding. I say go for it! I'm a CA educator and when I was nonrenewed the principal who nonrenewed me didn't write a letter of rec and I swear it has prevented me from getting a new job in a decent district! I did get letters from 3 admin though(even principal at the school before the lame one)...I know in CA they would want a recent admin letter. However, I would also get many other letters if you could. I have 5!(a VP from the school I was nonrenewed at, the first principal at the same school, the principal for another district I worked at, a parent & a coach/mentor......I may add one from my coworker too this year.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote