Advice for switching from Elementary to Middle? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Advice for switching from Elementary to Middle?

>

changes8989

changes8989

Advice for switching from Elementary to Middle?
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have always taught elementary but have a year of experience as a paraprofessional at a high school. I recently resigned from my position as K-4 SPED due to admin issues.

Any advice for the interview or making that jump in general? I have a little bit of exposure from my experience at a high school and tutoring middle school students.

mrsd5

Little kids in big kid bodies
Old 04-10-2016, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I never wanted to teach above 5th grade. When I was subbing when my kids were younger, I loved grades 3-5. But a principal begged me to come to the middle school. So I did and never left. I subbed almost exclusively there, was an aide for two years, and then taught there another 18 years. I'm back to subbing in retirement, mostly middle school with a couple of stints in the 4-5 building. Middle school boys are basically ginormous kindergartners, at least until 8th grade. The girls can be nasty in 7th grade. But they are pretty good. I love middle school. Every single person I know that has moved from elementary to middle school has loved it. Well, there was one, but she was....different. Good luck making your decision. Karen
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote