Career Decisions

FTCE English essay 6-12

>

gumby611

gumby611

FTCE English essay 6-12
Old 04-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone taken the essay part of the ftce english 6-12? I have to retake it and frankly don't understand my score.

EagleI

Old 04-19-2016, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They will only issue a score when you do not pass. Since I passed the essay I have no idea how I did on it (the score was simply reported as "Passed"). I believe you have to have a passing score of 8 out of 12 to pass. So if you received a 6 or 7 you missed by a couple of points.
EagleI is offline   Reply With Quote
gumby611

gumby611

Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I only scored a 6 but I don't know how it's calculated. Makes it hard to know what I did wrong. I am taking it again this Friday and I am going to choose the passage instead of the poem. I was so nervous that I am sure I didn't use any literary terms nor did I write enough. I was told by friends who took it twice that the poem and story were exactally the same as the first time. Unfortunately I don't remember the names of either. So frustrated.

EagleI

Old 04-21-2016, 01:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Good luck! I do not know how it is calculated either and they will not give you any information about the test at all. Only if you passed or "not passed". I have to retake the multiple choice test, I scored a 198, missed it by 2 points. You can request an evaluation of your test if you miss it by a few points, but what's the use? You have to drive across state (depending on where you are) to get a hearing. It's easier just to retake it. I believe the short story essay is the way to go but that is just me. And the fees! I think they have a cash cow by people having to take it more than once. Many teachers I know did not pass on the first or second try.

EagleI

Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What's next... Passing the "subject matter" test is only a step to a temporary teaching certificate. Next up, the General Knowledge test. You have one year to pass this test after passing the subject area. Then you have 3 years to complete the professional test. So much testing, so much money to the state. Now that the first one is out of the way, time to take the time and get the next two done. General Knowledge test coming up in June! I hear it is much easier than the English 6-12 test but it is time to update and refresh on math skills.

ASmileForYou

ASmileForYou

English 6-12 Study Guide
Old 05-22-2016, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a study guide for the English 6-12 FTCE test?

EagleI

Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This one is pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/FTCE-English-C...e+english+6-12

I would give yourself plenty of time to read through it more than once.
MrsLuly

MrsLuly

Official score vs Unofficial score
Old 05-28-2016, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi! I took the English 5-9 SAE last week and I believe there is a score delay so I don't have my scores just yet. However, I received a "not pass" on the multiple choice section but I did NOT receive a numerical score. It also says "Unofficial" score report. I'm confused! If I did not pass the multiple choice section, wouldn't I have received a numerical score?? I guess I'll wait for them to post my score to my account but this can take up to 6 weeks. :-/

EagleI

Old 05-30-2016, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, when you take the multiple choice they will let you know right then if you "pass" or "not pass". Your score will be posted on the FTCE home page normally within 30 days. On the site you will see "Not Passed" and your score. The essay has to be graded and typically takes 30 days.

They update the site every Tuesday night at 10 pm. Normally they will e-mail you on that day and will let you know your score is being posted at 10 that night. You will know your number score then (that is how I found out I scored a 198). You need 200 to pass.

Since then my score has been updated to "pass" on both.

So yes, you will get a number score eventually but you don't get it the day of the test. Only an unofficial pass or not pass.