What do you do if you want to leave teaching? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

What do you do if you want to leave teaching?

>

c0001

What do you do if you want to leave teaching?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't want to express my life's story on here, so I'll try to keep it concise. This is my second year (and second district) teaching in an urban, underserved, inner-city school district. I'm burned out beyond anything I could have imagined. I'm stressed out all of the time, and wonder if I'm making a difference (which is why I got into this profession in the first place). It's affected my sanity, and my overall health. Everyone says to change districts, but, hey, I've done that, and I've seen 0 change. I'm beginning to wonder: is teaching what I'm supposed to be doing? I have a double BA from a very good state university (graduated with honors), and a MEd from a fantastic private national university (top 35 in the country), which I graduated with high honors from). However, it appears that these degrees (English, Political Science, Education), are not very useful in other job markets.

Things people have said:

1. Switch districts (I did that; but it is also not easy. Out of the 100+ teaching jobs I applied to, I got 15 interviews and, of the 15, 1 was in a non-inner city districts, and I was offered 2 jobs in urban schools after a lengthy interview process lasting 3 stages. It's competitive).

2. Go into subbing into a district that's suburban and see how you like it, and it might offer some opportunities for jobs later on (Fine, but while I didn't get into teaching for the money, I would like to pay my bills and rent).

3. Go into library work, community college, educational outreach, curriculum, etc (These jobs are tough to get as well. Libraries are being cut by the day. Most community colleges require me to have a MA in Literature, and not in Education. Most curriculum programs for full time curriculum require 5 years of teaching.)

4. Teach private school. (I see this as a real possibility, but I am worried about the dip in pay to an extent)

I'm fine with going back to school, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I have considered Educational Law (but that 150+k in loans doesn't seem so pretty, especially when I have too many lawyer friends without jobs as it is). I have also thought about getting an MBA, but I'm also not so sure how useful that would be, or what to do with it.

Last edited by c0001; 04-24-2016 at 05:01 PM..
c0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Figure out $$
Old 04-24-2016, 02:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What's the minimum you can make and still survive?

Private school may also be a gateway to non-urban district a couple years down the road. You could do that and supplement with a part-time job or tutoring.

IMO, I could not sub. That would cause me a great deal of anxiety.

I would not add more school loans until you are on a path you are sure of.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

c0001

Old 04-24-2016, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think I could survive on about 45-50k/year, but definitely not less than that. I make 61k now base plus about 5k for the 6th class (so, 66k) as a y2 teacher (my district has a pretty high salary guide).
c0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

Old 04-27-2016, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you want to leave teaching, I recommend looking at what skills you have and what can be transferred to another career. Once you figure out those skills, you'll have to do a bit of research to see which careers use the skills you have. I recommend (if you have the time and are serious about a career change) checking out the book What Color is Your Parachute? The book has exercises which help you figure out what skills you have and what jobs best fit everything you need. When I was leaving teaching, I read the book and it helped me see what I needed for a career. Today I've been learning how to code and am starting to look for tech jobs.

I personally don't recommend going back to school. Going back to school is a big investment and I can't afford to put on more student loan debt with what I have. Besides having a degree seems to becoming less valuable from what I seen and heard from people.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

a big decision to make
Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You have a big decision to make. I am in my second year as well, and I am for sure leaving teaching for good. Same old reasons here. In any event, I am going back to school, but you do not have two. You have three degrees, that is already looking impressive on your resume. With the degree in education, and two years of experience, you have the most important skill (in my opinion) is patience and management. If you can manage a classroom of 25+ students, you can run a small business office. I am sure you will be able to learn the rest of the ropes in route. As a teacher, you have learned to manage a ton of paperwork, that means you are super organized. Every business needs a person who is meticulous and organized!

I think with your credentials you may try positions for art directors (public or private organizations), tutoring, teaching inmates (kind of risky I think, but people do it), teaching children in hospitals etc.

I hope I was able to help somehow!

K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

xoink

Old 06-23-2016, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

North Florida is recruiting. Check schools in Tallahassee, Gainesville, Orlando, Tampa. Students whose parents are professors, doctors, or other professionals are more receptive to learning. If you have a few strugglers it is easier to differentiate if necessary. Also, the teachers are more likely to work as a team.
xoink is offline   Reply With Quote

xoink

Time for a change
Old 06-23-2016, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

North Florida is recruiting. Check schools in Tallahassee, Gainesville, Orlando, Tampa. Students whose parents are professors, doctors, or other professionals are more receptive to learning. If you have a few strugglers it is easier to differentiate if necessary. Also, the teachers are more likely to work as a team.
xoink is offline   Reply With Quote

puakai

Old 09-23-2016, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Holy crap! i've been teaching for 15 years and I don't make near that!
puakai is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Greener grass?
Old 09-24-2016, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All I can say is make sure your choice is well researched before you jump. It would be a shame to switch paths and later find out that the situation you had before was not that bad. If it's possible, I would see if there was a way to better your current situation... even if it's just a change in mindset.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote