Help

Career Decisions

5 grade changes in 5 years

>

Jayhawk74

5 grade changes in 5 years
Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What the heck! I've been teaching for 13 years. I feel I'm a strong teacher. I work at a small school, k-5. I've desired kindergarten since college. I was originally pulled from another school with the promise of teaching kindergarten when it became available. I taught second grade for 2 years. Then volunteered to move to first. I stayed there for 8 years. I loved it! I completely built the successful program. Then the kindergarten position opened. I jumped on it. It lasted a year. Another teacher was asked to move to Kindergarten because she was not looked upon as someone that could handle the grade level she was assigned. I was then moved to second. That lasted a year because of school numbers. I was moved back to first. That lasted a year again because of school numbers. I am now being moved to third!!!! How am I supposed to "perfect my craft"? I am sick and tired of changing grade levels. Uggghhh

Jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote

megann831

Old 05-24-2016, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

maybe because you've volunteered to move in the past they think you want to, or it could be a 1st in 1st out thing. I don't think staying in one grade level necessarily makes you perfect your craft, it could be a way to get dull. In my school we loop every year. I stay with the same group 6-8. I wouldn't say I like it, but I don't think it's uncommon to change.
megann831 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

change
Old 05-24-2016, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does everyone else move around as much as you? I think it was a bad move on the administrator's part in taking you from K just because someone else couldn't handle another grade. She needed to be on a plan of improvement - not moved to a different grade when there wasn't an opening.

I guess that comes with the territory when it's a small school, but what a pain! I know what you mean about wanting to perfect your craft. It's nice to make adjustments from year to year in the same grade. It's tough when you have to keep switching gears.

Have you talked to the administration privately about it? Sometimes sharing your concerns helps. They may not realize how you feel otherwise.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jayhawk74

Old 05-24-2016, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've spoken to them and the response is... "or you can transfer" She's been really hard to approach. It's not just me. At a fire drill lady week, we had a first year teacher calling attendance instead of counting. The principal kept saying "here" for a student she knew wasn't there because she swiped her just as the drill started.
Jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote

parkermak

Old 07-31-2016, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This sounds like my whole career. I have taught second grade for 7 years out of my 15, but 5 of them have been at different schools. It is hard to learn a new curriculum and perfect your craft at the same time. Even when looping you know that you will be in a different grade level but you are prepared. I also love Kindergarten and when a teacher retired saw my chance. The first year due to our small school and numbers it was part time, which I could not take. The next year it was given to someone else, because she was going to loose her job. Our numbers went up and I had the position for 3 years. My principal said that I was doing a great job BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... If we have one class I will choose you... Last year she switched me to 3rd grade!!!! Needless to say after that I have taught every grade level in elementary. I desperately looked for a new position this summer, with out any luck. This year I heard that our numbers are also low. I am not sure what I am teaching. Hang in there. If you ever need to talk send me a message.

parkermak is offline   Reply With Quote

dismayedyear7

Old 09-06-2016, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Same here- 1st year: 8th Remediation, High School Drama, 9th Pre AP English, and Senior English
2nd year: Pre AP and Regular 8th English
3rd year: 10th grade English
4th year: 11th Eng, Critical Reading, ACT prep
5th year: (by choice) moved to Social Studies, AP and Regular 11th grade US History
6th year:New school - hired and moved to continue Social Studies- Regular World History (10th)
Very happy in my job- only to be surprised and moved to English 11th, because a coach needed a job (not certified in History), and a cute new 1st year teacher agreed to coach softball(never played), and they gave her all Day Psychology, which is what my degree is in.
Oh, and the week before school this year, I heard from a Senior that I was teaching them---I had no idea that I was teaching 12th for one period!
dismayedyear7 is offline   Reply With Quote