Help

Career Decisions

Advice -- Job Offer

>

YogaTeach1989

Advice -- Job Offer
Old 05-12-2016, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! This is my first time posting and I would love some advice or any thoughts you might have.

I am 26 and just finished my student teaching and my elementary licensing program! I'm so excited. I've been applying for jobs for almost a couple of months now. I've gotten several rejections, which is frustrating, but I know it's really tough to get your first teaching job. So, I've just been trying to keep going and stay positive because I want to teach so badly and start my career.

Recently I got a call from a principal I interviewed with. At this school, there is a classroom teacher position and an interventionist position available. The principal said they really like me (and I like them, too, as well as the school) but they have 2 other candidates to watch teach before deciding who gets which position. She offered me a job, but just wasn't able to say yet which position I would be officially offered.

I'm so excited to have an offer period... I would really love and prefer to have the classroom teacher position (and I mentioned this to the principal). But, the intervention position sounds good, too, and at the end of the day, it's a JOB! If I end up getting the intervention position and take it, will this hurt my chances of getting a classroom teacher position in the future? This has been my ultimate dream for a while. I just don't want to get pigeon-holed into intervention jobs simply because my first job was as an interventionist.

What do you think? Any input is appreciated and welcomed! Thank you so much in advance

YogaTeach1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

Congratulations!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not believe that you will be "stuck" as an interventionist just because that is where you start out. In my experience, first year teachers are generally classroom teachers and more experienced teachers are interventionists. I recommend accepting the position regardless of if it is a classroom or an interventionist position. There will be advantages and disadvantages to both as a first year teacher. You can always request to transfer to another position if you get one and you decide you don't like it. Good Luck!
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

IDesignDreams

I agree
Old 05-20-2016, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with expert teacher.. Go for it, and whatever job you get, go all out. Bring joy and excitement into it. When you do that, new Opportunities have a funny way of just showing up when the time is right. We're rooting for ya!
IDesignDreams is offline   Reply With Quote