Help

Career Decisions

FTCE-Elementary Education (k-6) test

>

maupin94

FTCE-Elementary Education (k-6) test
Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Found out today that I have to take the FTCE Elementary Education test before being considered for a teaching job. I have heard sooo many mixed reviews on the books to study etc... need some advice on what to study and where to find up to date info on what is on the test! Feeling a little overwhelmed; taking the test in ONE week!! Anyone taken it recently?? Would love some input on what to do! Thanks!!

maupin94 is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

strange
Old 06-07-2016, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What kind of test is it? is it a test you have to take and pass in order to be certified to teach? I am confused.
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

EagleI

Old 06-07-2016, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is what it consists of:

http://www.fl.nesinc.com/testPage.asp?test=060

It's really hard to determine what study guide to use and to be honest a week of prep probably isn't enough but I took the English 6-12 and it is one of the harder tests (I bought several prep guides from Amazon, some ok, one great and several terrible ones and studied for a month).

A lot of the questions on mine had nothing to do with Language Arts and more about classroom situations. If you've never been a teacher the scenario questions are a bit difficult because all of the answers sound correct.

Not too sure on the K-6 test. I had the take the 6-12 test twice, passed on the second try.

Here are the free prep materials for the test:

http://www.fl.nesinc.com/prepPage.asp?test=060

Since I passed the English 6-12 I now qualify for a temporary certificate but still waiting on the state to send a revised Statement of Eligibility and they are pretty slow about it. Until I get that it is really hard to get a job even when the schools see that I have passed both the multiple choice and the essay portions of the test.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
EagleI is offline   Reply With Quote

EagleI

Old 06-07-2016, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As for books, look on Amazon and search around and make SURE to read the reviews because some are really bad and some of the reviews seem to be "canned".

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Edu.../dp/1607873346

But by the time they arrive in the mail it will be that much closer to test time. Suggest Amazon prime or finding one you can download and get instantly.

maupin94

Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your input! I have also googled it and found some great help out there from people who have already taken it. Hitting the books and praying I pass!! Thanks for your help!!

maupin94

Old 06-07-2016, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes it is! I live in Florida. Its one of three tests you have to take to be certified in Florida.

EagleI

Old 06-07-2016, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, for anyone who doesn't know, in the state of Florida anyone with a Bachelor's Degree can teach. The first thing to do is pass the subject area test (for me it was English 6-12). Once you pass those 2 tests (multiple choice & essay) you qualify for a temporary certificate. That is good for 3 years but you have one year to pass the General Knowledge Test which consists of English, Reading & Math. They give you 3 years to pass the Professional Education Test and then you can get a renewable Permanent Teaching Certificate. The temporary is only good for 3 years and non-renewable.

If you have a certificate from another state you automatically qualify for the temporary.

Something else -- it isn't cheap.

$75 just to fill out an application for ONE area. If you would like to teach K-5, 5-9, 6-12, etc it is $75 for EACH application. You cannot select multiple areas on your application.

Then each tests costs $200. So I had to pay $200 for the first test and I think $150 for the re-take. Then another $200 for the General Knowledge Test and $200 for the final Professional Test. Any test you don't pass you have to pay anywhere from $150 - $200 and have to wait 30 days before retaking.

Personally I think they make millions on testing and retesting.

SwissTeacher2

Old 06-08-2016, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would only trust the study guide from FTCE (See here). There is a practice test at the end of it. Take that to gauge how prepared you are.

It was overwhelming for me when I took it but passed on the first try. The part I struggled on the most was the social studies just because I don't really know that much about history (dates and such).
SwissTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

xoink

Old 06-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Preparation materials are available on the ftce website. I've heard that it is very useful.
xoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Karisma

Karisma

Old 01-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Which book did you find most helpful when studying for the 6-12 test. I'm taking it at the end of the month and a little scared because I heard it was a difficult test.

bookmark57

bookmark57

English 6-12
Old 04-18-2017, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What study guide did you use to pass the English 6-12? I took it last week and didn't pass and now I am preparing for the retake. Thanks

EagleI

Old 05-25-2017, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sorry for the late reply. One thing to remember is that most of the study guides are useless. Even the "practice" tests offered on the state website are outdated and no longer a part of the test. See if your county offers boot camps. Those help as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Ed.../dp/1607873346

Look around on Amazon. Some books are OK, some are really bad. None are great. Some of them are written by people who have never taught in Florida.

This one was useful but written by a professor from Texas. Really Florida needs to fix the testing process as they are in such need of teachers and offer no help at all with these tests. You never know what you did wrong and you never really know your score. Just "pass" or "fail" then shell out more money to retake.

Here is the 6-12 book

https://www.amazon.com/FTCE-English-...e+english+6-12