Career Decisions

Change Jobs 4-5 Weeks in?

>

MsTeacherLady

Change Jobs 4-5 Weeks in?
Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

I know this is epic and I'm sorry. I've tried to break it down for you.

I hope that you can help me make a decision that I feel is coming up for me in the near future. I'm just not sure what to do. I've written and rewritten this posting several times and at this point I am just going to post and hope I can clarify as needed.

Please read the posting below if you want the full story, but the gist of my question is this:

Short Version:

If I quit my current position in a public charter school (linked with a school district, not a company) to go work for an online school is that going to completely derail my career?

Long Version:

I have an M.Ed in C/I and Ed Leadership. Eventually I'd like to be a VP or maybe a Curriculum Coach.

I have 10+ years of ELA experience, most of it at a high performing public charter school associated with a high performing district. My family had to move because my husband's job transferred him. I've moved to a high performing public charter school in a lower performing district.

I don't want to make a poor decision and have a black mark against my record...but I feel like I've been mislead.

I was hired with the impression that this school wanted to add in novel reading to challenge their students more and this is where I excel. I love reading novels with my students, I love digging into character motivation and discussing how the conflicts influence the outcome...all the stuff that makes teaching ELA WONDERFUL!

In my interview I made it very clear that this is what I wanted to incorporate and the principal was on board, he was excited. He said that he couldn't wait to "shake up" the ELA Department and wanted to see what I could do.

I've been at this school for 4 weeks and due to testing, new computer programs and first weeks of school stuff, I haven't done more than 2 short articles in class, straight out of the text book.

Because we're following the district sequence for teaching, we have --literally-- no time to add anything beyond what the text book has, and to be honest we won't have time to get through that.

I'm bouncing from one thing to the next, hoping that something has absorbed into the students, but honestly I have little way of knowing because we can't "inundate" them with assignments because we have so much testing.

In the 4 weeks of school we've had pre-testing tests, computer diagnostic testing, a vocabulary quiz (that I needed for class) and then a measurement test for the district. I've had *mmmmaybe* three days of actual class to do things beyond setting up their folders and introducing class rules.

I've recently been told that I need to do almost an hours worth of computer work -per week- with my students, but that the other teachers have to do the same, with the same computers because we share 25 between 100+ students. We can't do a rotation because they want us all on the computers at the same time even though that is physically impossible. They don't want us to set up the laptops in any permanent situation, instead we're to roll them back and forth and hope they don't die mid-day.

I have children with D's or F's at this point because they aren't turning in their homework. I have contacted home and had only ONE parent contact me back, blaming me for not contacting him before now...when I was told not to bother and the other teachers don't contact at all.

The school wants less than 12 assignments for the quarter for each class, so the student isn't "overwhelmed". My last school wanted a minimum of 2/week!

I realize as a "new" (to this school) teacher that I have to give it some time to get used to how things are done at this site, but day after day something new is thrown at us and it --SIMPLY ISN'T POSSIBLE-- for us to do it how the administration wants it done.

I'm not used to this.

At my last school you did your own thing, handed in your lesson plans and taught your classes because you were a professional that was hired by a professional and if you didn't get it done then there would be consequences. Parents were supportive because they wanted their children to be at that school because it was so highly ranked.

There is just no way for me to do what they need me to do, I feel powerless and disillusioned.

I feel like I was mislead because there is neither the time nor the resources to read books with a class. .

I've invested $600+ into moving my classroom, purchasing the supplies I need and getting everything the way I want...I know I shouldn't have, but I spend almost 10 hours a day there, and needed things to do my job!

SO.

Years ago I interviewed with an online school.

I wanted part time, but they were only offering full time, so I had to decline. I applied again when I knew we had to move, but didn't hear anything back...until yesterday.

They've called to schedule a phone interview.

I have a friend that works there and can't say enough good things about it. Supportive, constructive, you can work when you want (within reason). You can work FROM HOME. She said she would never go back to teaching in a regular classroom.

I'm not going into this with my eyes shut. I know that there are bottom lines and goals and etc... I know that I won't get to create lesson plans but I also won't have to grade anything other than the writing assignments.

I know she has almost double the students, but less work, if that makes sense?

I know I won't have to fight poor classroom *behavior* if I teach online. I know that parents will anticipate my contact.

I know this is REALLY putting the cart before the horse...but what do I do if I get offered a full time job teaching online?

If I leave this current job (giving them at least 2 weeks, if not more notice) is it a black mark against me forever?

I think technically I can say I was hired by the online school right after my last job and completely gloss over these 4-6 weeks, but is that bad?

I really like the other teachers I work with, the school tries its best to be supportive and honestly the administration is NICE...but what they want is unrealistic.

If I stay in this district I may have an easy-ISH shot at moving out of the classroom, into a Curriculum Coach or a VP position...but I'm not sure I *want* to do that here, in a low performing district where a "D" is the goal to reach.

If I go online I think I may have a better shot, with better working conditions with more money in the long run-- but there is no guarantee either way.

I'm only 4 weeks in and I feel exasperated and angry. I'm doing my best to make things work, but one things after another gets tossed on us and enough is already enough.

Seriously, in the first six week of class we're going to have had 8 assessments, but I'm supposed to fit in teaching somewhere.

MsTeacherLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Kay70313

Old 09-08-2016, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not believe this will completely derail your teaching career. I left a position last school year, 3 months in. (My situation was a bit different as I was dealing with violence).

I was told that there was a good chance that it would be hard for me to be hired again in this area, but I knew it was a decision I needed to make.

Almost a year later and I have no regrets doing it. I ended up having a great rest of the year, and still got calls from schools afterwards.

If you see your future in online teaching, then I would seriously consider it.

I know it's a tough decision - think through it carefully and go with your gut! Good luck.
Kay70313 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsTeacherLady

Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello Kay70313!

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

I'm really hopeful that this online position pans out. I think if that happens, and if what they offer is a good deal for my family then I will take it.

Star-Gazer

Questions
Old 09-12-2016, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you get out of your contract with the school or will they keep you from teaching in another position? Will this affect your retirement?

Good luck on your choice. I do know that if I were in your position I would probably take the online position.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

MsTeacherLady

Old 09-19-2016, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I believe that I can give notice and not have an issue, though it may look like I was "terminated".

However, this is a "right to work" state, so I'm not sure how that works out? I think with my background I can safely delete this 4-5-6 months from my resume and say I started the online position when I was needed.

They may keep me from teaching in another position in this district...but to be honest I am not sure that will happen because teachers are in really high demand here (because they pay crapola).

I don't think it will change my retirement, I haven't set up an account yet with my new district and my 401K from my old school is still with that company.

The online school is part of the public system, so the retirement will be the same anyway.

Good news! I aced the phone interview, now to schedule the in-person interview!!

Wish me luck!!

cabrini6285

Old 10-09-2016, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi,
so what happened?
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote
CantRememberM

CantRememberM

Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hello! So far I've had a few phone interviews. I was scheduled for an in person interview last week, but the whole state shut down because of the hurricane and it was postponed until around Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed!!