Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you like tight clothes?

>

amiga13

Do you like tight clothes?
Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 AM

There are a couple of comments below that voiced my thoughts: Dr. Jill Bidenís Inaugural dresses looked so tight around the middle. (Please donít jump on me for liking fashion. I am NOT dismissing her many brilliant accomplishments.) I admire her tremendously, but it is my unprofessional opinion that many of her clothes look unflattering and uncomfortable.

Maybe thereís something about TVís captured images because I also thought Kamala Harris could have used another inch of fabric around the middle. (Of course, I often think Hillary Clintonís clothes are way too big, so what do I know?)

I loved Lady Gagaís fitted + voluminous look; although the top was form fitting, it looked comfortable and flattering. My favorite look of the day was Amanda Gorman, the poet.

If youíre disinterested in fashion, please scroll on by.

I like loosely fitted clothes for myself. Comfort is a huge issue for me. I do wear leggings frequently for exercise, but like my skinny jeans, they have room to breathe.

What do you like? What do you wear?

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 01-22-2021, 06:57 AM

I like tight clothes if they fit well. It’s interesting how some tight clothing fits like a glove and you don’t know they are there. Other tight clothing feels like a torture device.

Years ago one of my second grade students said, “That dress is frumpy, if I was older I wouldn’t go for you. Miss M dresses like a teenager, I would go for her. I still remember the dress I was wearing.

I’m not so frumpy anymore.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 01-22-2021, 06:58 AM

I prefer that people don't wear clothes form fitting. Slightly loose is okay.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-22-2021, 06:59 AM

I love to sew and make most of my clothes. Since I'm home all the time between being retired and Covid, I just wear comfy, stretchy clothes. At times in my life when I've lost weight, I've enjoyed wearing more fitted clothes. But now that I'm not working anymore, it's hard to get excited about that.

Now on the subject of inauguration clothes, I agree that Jill Biden's clothes could have been fitted better. I think she would look better in a sheath style dress which would skim over the waist. However, I still think she looked lovely. Kamala Harris looked fantastic, and so did Michelle Obama.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-22-2021, 07:04 AM

I have a different take on the dress. I really didn't think it was too tight at all. I think it was just not a flattering style for her figure. In the attached picture it lays smoothly across her if she's standing still posed for a picture. I felt like the top would have been better with a sweetheart neckline and more fitted. It was loose and puckered if she wasn't standing still.

Even the middle was loose. Could have been tapered on some to give shape.

The gloves also took away from the beauty of the sleeve.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 01-22-2021, 07:08 AM

I can't stand when clothes are too tight. It really bothers me. I like stretchy denim fabric for my jeans and comfy t-shirts or sweatshirts. Can't be too itchy, either. Comfort is my mantra! In fact, I've gotten rid of all skirts, dresses, and pantyhose from my wardrobe. I figure that I'm 57 and I can wear what I want!
2teach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

clothes
Old 01-22-2021, 07:14 AM

I was focused on the style of the clothing and not so much the fit. Jill Biden's coat ensemble at the ceremony was stunning IMO.
The thought crossed my mind how did the ladies keep their hats on in the wind?

Now about frumpy...my mittens aren't knitted like Bernie Sanders
they are just double layered fleece. My fleece is also made from recycled plastic bottles.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

Just a thought
Old 01-22-2021, 07:14 AM

After seeing Malania Trump in perfectly tailored clothes this is an adjustment. Granted she has a perfectly tailored figure as well.
Jill and Kamela have jobs. I am more impressed with what's inside than out.
I applaud Laura Bush for her flats. A misstep in those treacherous steps could have been disastrous. Garth in jeans was cool and include there was Bernie!

I actually dressed like Bernie when I had recess duty in the winter.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-22-2021, 07:15 AM

She has a beautiful figure and showed it off that night in a lovely dress.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 01-22-2021, 07:45 AM

If I continue to eat doughnuts, all my clothes will be tight.
I liked what everyone was wearing from Jill Biden to Laura Bush. I thought the dresses and coats were fabulous. The person that stole the show was Bernie. Loved, loved his mittens.

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-22-2021, 07:49 AM

I liked them when I was a size 2 teenager and had a flat stomach . Not so much anymore. I carry most of my weight around the middle, so tight clothes are definitely not an option.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Fit
Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 AM

Too tight jackets... I wonder if they were wearing bulletproof vests. Terrible thought but possible?
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-22-2021, 08:37 AM

I have some tight skinny jeans that I really like wearing except when I get a hot flash. I prefer looser tops.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-22-2021, 08:44 AM

In general, my wardrobe choices are very similar to Bernie’s. Tight, loose, neckline, waistline, hemline...all secondary to the fundamental question: is it warm?. I totally “get” Bernie.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Old 01-22-2021, 08:55 AM

I do not think it looked too tight. I think I just did not like the neckline. I wear a lot of leggings which tend to fit tight.

Last edited by tctrojan; 01-22-2021 at 09:25 AM..
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 01-22-2021, 08:55 AM

I wasn’t really concentrating on the fit so much but I guess I see that. I thought she looked beautiful in it. I love the dress and coat combo...very British. I want one.

Jill Biden looks comfortable in her clothing.

This made me snicker....”granted (Melania) has a perfectly tailored figure as well”.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tight clothes
Old 01-22-2021, 09:05 AM

I like my pants fairly tight...skinny jeans and leggings.
My tops, however, I prefer loose. I still have a bit of a smooshy midsection.

And I also thought Dr. Jill’s coat looked a bit tight. Maybe she had on extra layers underneath to keep warm?

Also, why is no one talking about Kampala’s step daughter’s coat?? It was awesome. As a reminder: mid length, autumnal shades of plaid with orange sparkles all over the shoulders. Truly, I want that coat.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 01-22-2021, 09:26 AM

I don't like to wear tight clothes because my bladder feels a little uncomfortable when I do.

The only thing I really noticed about Jill Biden's ensemble was that I thought it was cool that her mask kind of matched her coat and dress and I loved the color.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Good thread
Old 01-22-2021, 09:55 AM

Interesting reads...

I like form fitting outfits, but not so tight that my blood flow or breathing is constricted --- not healthy.

I have yet to watch what yall are referring to, and will youtube it today.

They probably were wearing bullet vests.

I did see Melina Trump, have always enjoyed her style and apparent fitness level. She spoke so carefully, i found her believable and sweet.

I have some waistbands that bind me, hate that feeling. If i am doing something professional like teaching i dress with modesty. I have seen too many flaunt their bodies and for me that is inappropriate.

So, for me, what I wear depends on what i am doing. Naturally

There's an online clothing store that has boho dresses, i want a few summer dresses that are both beautifully sewn, cool for hot weather, loose and flowy, to me this is a romantic look.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

i thought they looked great...
Old 01-22-2021, 09:57 AM

I loved their clothes and how they looked in them. They did not look tight to me. I love color in my own clothes ,so the purple and/or oceanic blue colors appealed to me.

For myself, I do not like tight fighting clothes. I was watching one of shopping networks, and one of the plus-sized models was wearing a pair of jeans they were selling that looked way to tight. You could see every lump and bump, and I didn't think it was flattering her at all. I thought she should have sized up.

I wear leggings and jeans mostly now, with sweaters and long sleeved tees from Ann Taylor or Talbots. I like clothes that are comfortable and that launder easily.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-22-2021, 10:21 AM

I like clothes that fit well. Loose fitting doesnít mean baggy, and form fitting doesnít mean tight.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-22-2021, 10:21 AM

I don't like tight clothes, typically. I prefer clothes a little looser that hang just right to give the impression of a better waistline than I currently have

I used to wear clothes that were WAY too big for me as a high schooler, college student/ young adult, and my mom was really annoyed by that. I actually had a nice figure back then I finally started wearing a little more form-fitting, but not tight. When I've had to dress fancy, there are a few dresses I have that I love the look of, but I feel a little uncomfortable all night. Then I got a dress from Dress Barn (RIP ) that I LOVE. The material, the fit, it's so flattering and comfortable! I don't have to suck in my stomach and I can move in any which way I want

(I just tried to search and I guess DB still has an online presence, but I didn't see "my" dress)

I have never quite understood the stretched across the stomach look that seems so popular. Miss Scarlett from the movie Clue's dress is the first one I think of (probably b/c that was the first time I'd really seen that kind of look).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-22-2021, 10:49 AM

I like clothes that are comfortable and fit well- neither tight nor baggy.

I thought Jill Bidenís white coat was just lovely- the color and embroidery. In comparison, her dress fell completely flat IMO. Sheís a pretty lady and has a nice figure. I have always enjoyed seeing what First Ladies wear.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

LOL. So funny as I thought it was too big...
Old 01-22-2021, 11:08 AM

it bunched oddly in all the wrong places. I think she has a nice shape and look, especially for her age.

I do think that the outfit was tailored with (standing) pictures in mind more so than real life. That's unfortunate. I love, love, love the embroidery elements to both the dress and coat. The state flower link was awesome too. I think the gloves were the right idea but needed to be short, thin silk gloves with the way her sleeves were made.

In general, I think too many people wear clothes that are too tight/too small. Some outgrow them and cannot afford new. Some prefer them that way. Some feel they are more attractive or sexy in tight clothes. Some may have sensory issues that make them crave that pressure.

I am plus sized so I like mine fitted but not tight. I don't like to feel bound up in any way. I hate when my pants are too tight or too short especially.

Fashion-wise, I don't claim to know or follow the rules. But I think Lady Gaga's dress is spot on. I've always thought outfits look best if only one piece is loose fitting-- so fitted tops with loose bottoms or looser tops with fitted bottoms. Fitted all over is hard to pull off and loose all over contributes to the frumpiness.

Fitted doesn't have to mean tight.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 01-22-2021, 11:32 AM

I don't think her dress was too tight and I'm not sure who could have worn it and looked great. Maybe it was the gloves, or the neckline was too high. I did love the coat, though. I don't like tight clothes. They make me feel claustrophobic.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 PM

I don't think it looked too tight at all. It was a perfectly lovely dress for a perfectly lovely woman.

I prioritize comfort but it's definitely possible to dress with "body conscious silhouettes" that aren't constricting or uncomfortable, and that's my preference. It doesn't have to be skin tight and showing lumps and bumps to emphasize that the body has a shape. I don't like loose flowy dresses and tops for me. (Some women look amazing in them.)

But, as an aside, I do think that this inauguration has put to rest the question about whether fashion interest is sexist. It absolutely is. Joe Biden's and Emhoff's suits - Oh, look a suit. Harris's and Jill Biden's clothes - analyzed in minute detail. So it's not just "the position." Kamala Harris is the Vice President and should not have to spend one extra second thinking about what she's wearing than Joe Biden has to think about it. (And Jill Biden shouldn't have to either, though I know First Lady fashion has been a thing to focus on for quite a while.) But neither one of them will be given that privilege.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 01-22-2021, 01:42 PM

I think form-fitting clothes can look great and be comfortable. It often depends on the material used. Like a couple of other posters mentioned, form-fitting doesn't necessarily mean tight.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-22-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Joe Biden's and Emhoff's suits - Oh, look a suit. Harris's and Jill Biden's clothes - analyzed in minute detail.
Well a suit is just a suit in most cases.

I think we women focus on the women's fashion because that's who we are. Women wear makeup, wear heels, match purses, acessorize with jewelry etc. That's who we are. So I think it's natural for us to notice what others wear.

Do I think someone who wears a paper sack is less capable? Nope don't really care as long as you do your job!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 01-22-2021, 03:16 PM

For me? No, tight clothing-it's a sensory thing with me. I cant' stand tight clothing, not even socks or shoes that are tight.

For others, guess it's their preference, and I don't think much about someone else wearing tight clothing.

As far as all the ladies and men during the ceremonies, I think they all looked nice. To be honest, I focused more on the historical moment. To learn of the symbolism in their outfits, Bibles used etc. after the ceremony was wonderful. To learn the background story of Bernie's mittens was so very nice!

Last edited by LazyLake; 01-22-2021 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 01-22-2021, 03:29 PM

I think that many of the women at the inauguration (Harris, Pelosi, Clinton, Biden) had to wear Kevlar vests that they weren't factoring into the look. They all looked boxy to me.

I don't know if I'd call them tight, but I love my wide leg cropped yoga pants (with pockets!) from WalMart. I feel like all other pants fit in such a way that I can't get stuff done without them moving around. Jeans seem to be a pain in that I'm always pulling on them

I am not into tight shirts! Boob issue/belly issue...it is not a good look for me.
elsa4409 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-22-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I think we women focus on the women's fashion because that's who we are. Women wear makeup, wear heels, match purses, acessorize with jewelry etc. That's who we are. So I think it's natural for us to notice what others wear.
I don't think it is "who we are." Plenty of women couldn't care less about fashion. And that's my point. Women in the public eye don't get to not care even if they do not care. What woman would ever get to be Bernie Sanders at the inauguration?
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 01-22-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is "who we are." Plenty of women couldn't care less about fashion. And that's my point. Women in the public eye don't get to not care even if they do not care. What woman would ever get to be Bernie Sanders at the inauguration?
I think I love you. And the bolded sentence? Imagine the flack a woman would get for that? I don't think feminism can move forward until women stop criticizing other women for superficial reasons.
MalloryJames is online now   Reply With Quote