Help

Second Grade

Reading Help 911!!!

>

kayakkid

Reading Help 911!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching a very low group of 2nd graders. They are reading about 9 -23 wpm. I have a parent volunteer come in everyday for 30 minutes. My plan is to read, read, read during that time. However, I'm not sure what to read to build fluency and vocabulary. I have leveled readers and vocabulary readers that go with our theme in Houghton Mifflin. I will also review small decodable texts that match the phonics concept we are working on. That fills 3 groups. I have 5 groups of 5 students. What highly valuable things could I do for the other two groups? I just want this time to be "Big Bang" since I have so much help here. With my volunteer I have 4 adults helping (aid, parent, student teacher, peer tutor (high school student) and me).

fish2

Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you ever heard of the "superspeed 100" reading game? I started using it last year and it helped. You can find it at ################## dot com, you'll have to register (free), and it's under the downloads (also free). They just ask that you send a link to 10 people to tell them about their site in return.
Basic game: kids in pairs have a list of common sight words. they start reading, taking turns reading a word at a time, for 1 minute. mark where they got. change who starts, try again for 1 minute, trying to read more this time. quick, easy, big bang for no money.
(I am in no way connected to that site, just found it looking for resources for my classroom)

Mz. L.

Me too!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a large group of readers who are skilled at first grade (or lower) level books. I am encouraging them (and my at grade level or above readers) to choose books (from our classroom or school library) that are "just right" for them. During our independent reading time, I utilize ALL adult help to read one on one with a reader or with two readers the books that the student chooses. I encourage talking and thinking about the books, as well. This works very well. Students love to read, practice more, and grow as readers.