Help

ARCHIVE

looping with 1st gr. help!

>

melesc

looping with 1st gr. help!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving to 2nd grade with my first graders, with the exception of 3 students. I am looking for ideas to implement for classroom mgmt. I would like to change my rules slightly to match 2nd grade minds so they are not bored with the same rules from 1st grade. Does anybody have any ideas as far as new rules, and for introducing them at the beginning of the year? Thanks so much!

melesc is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Rules
Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach first and let my kids write the rules (with my guidance). I felt like the kids did a really good job and since they are the "rulers" it helps make them more accountable for what they expect is acceptable behavior. As they gave me the rules I wrote them on chart paper, cut and glued it to a posterboard and laminated it. We hung it up. If you are teaching second--this could be your shared writing lessons for the beginning of the year (interactive also). I think the kids are usually tougher on what is expected than teachers! (Just ask them what should be done when a student continually misbehaves and their consequence are usually really strict).

Check with Debbie Miller's Reading With Meaning's chapters about the beginning of school. I think the way it's handled helps create a feeling of community and belonging.
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

looping
Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm looping too, but I didn't really think about changing the rules. They were something that we did a lot at the beginning of the year, but I guess (my fault) once our year got rolling we didn't need to refer to them all that much. They were something I was planning on keeping the same.

I might have them write a new Reader's Workshop Pledge, though. We wrote one at the beginnning of last year, and it doesn't really hold them to the same reading standards that I expect now. We'd do it as an interactive write.
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

looping
Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been looping from 1st to 2nd for many years and do not change my rules for the second year. Our rules are school wide. I spend a little time reviewing how they are interpreted in my room, but I don't change them. One of the advantages of looping for the kids is that they know what to expect the second year. I change outcomes and expectations. I also am lucky to change from tables to desks which gives my classroom a different feel without being totally new.
When I introduce the classroom rules discussion we make two posters that stay up all year. One is after we review the school rules we make a poster of above the line and below the line behaviors. At another time and we discuss what the teacher's job is, the student's, and their parent's job and make a My job/Your job poster. Our principal comes in and adds another section with what her job is. I refer back to these all year.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Looping with Rules
Old 06-25-2007, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I loop from first to second also. I do not need to change the rules. They actually seem to like the familiarity of them. It is comforting to know the expectations before you start that first day. In addition, the kids settle in sooo much faster at the beginning. However, I did change a few things around. I explained that during the first week and they were absolutely fine. I had worried that changing things would be hard on the kids. They were ok. I do review the rules because I always get one or two kids that move into the district and I try to give them a little extra time to get use to things. The other children always seem to take the new kids under their wing though. Enjoy looping--It is the best thing I have ever done. LILACS

Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnie

no need to change
Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Like the others have stated, there really is no need to change the rules, since the students are already familiar with them. This is one of the many benefits of looping. I just revisit them the second year and briefly remind them of classroom routines, but have found it's unnecessary. The students you had in first grade will also be able to model the rules/routines for the new students you recieve. Good luck! I also think looping is terrific, I am beginning a new group of loopers from 2nd to 3rd. I had my previous group from 1st - 3rd!
sunnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Hylin

Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm looping and will re-write our rules. We follow Responsive Classroom so during the First Six weeks we will write our Hopes & Dreams, and then discuss our rules out of those, specifically how we are going to implement rules in order to achieve our hopes and dreams. We then write our class rules [no more than 5], and model/practice how to follow those rules. After those are established, we'll discuss the consequences and model/practice those as well. Even though I'm looping, I still do this because I'll get a few new students, and the rest will need the reminder anyway. It also helps us build class culture and makes the students feel like they are the ones in control of the room.
Hylin is offline   Reply With Quote

melesc

Thank You!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks to all who responded. All of your advice has helped me prepare for my first year in 2nd grade. I am keeping my rules the same, and I will allow for them to build on our class culture. I especially like the idea of incorporating it into a writing lesson. Thanks again everybody!!!
melesc is offline   Reply With Quote