Help

ARCHIVE

Organizing My Classroom Library

>

RKM

Organizing My Classroom Library
Old 02-19-2006, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The good news, this summer my school is getting new ceiling tiles, lights, and a new heating/cooling system. Yeah! The bad news, we are going to have to pack up most of our classrooms and we will not be able to get back into them until one or two days before the school year begins in August! I thought this summer would be a great opportunity for me to organize my classroom library at home since I will probably be bringing all of my books home. I have been teaching for 4 years and I have accumulated a lot of books, but I have NO organization system. How do you organize your books? I would like to sort them in baskets by author or maybe theme; I'm not really sure. If you know of a website or you have any info. to share about your system, please post it here. THANK YOU!

RKM is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyscq1

Old 02-19-2006, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most of our books are organized by reading group. THe easier books are in one basket, and the harder ones in another, and so on. These books are more for everyday reading time in our protected reading block. I have a "library" that on good behavior, kids sit in with pillows and things like that, and all those books (mainly nice, hardback picture books, a few chapter books, etc) are arranged on a shelf in alphabetical order. They ususally dont last that way, but I have a class helper to help keep them in order. If you do author studies, you can have a basket for each author and things that you learned in that basket on a shelf or something like that.

really, I found more trial and error to see what works best in my classroom. Good Luck!
suzyscq1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kacie

Organizing Books
Old 02-19-2006, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have A LOT of books in my classroom library. I have my books sorted into different baskets. I have a non-fiction bookshelf where I have books sorted into baskets according to categories. Examples:
Ocean Plants
People Social Studies
Science Cultures
Weather Rain Forest
Space Animals
I then have 2 bookshelves of books sorted by AR levels. I don't know if your school has Accelerated Reader. The rest of my books that aren't non-fiction or AR are sorted by categories. Examples:
Poetry Math
Christmas Character Education Teacher's Books
Halloween Thanksgiving (books students can't get to)
Valentines Easter
School Books Sports
Winter Just for Fun
Arthur Curious George
I have other categories, but this is a big chunk of them. Each book has two types of labels on them. In the upper right hand corner of each book I have a small label (return address labels) that tells what basket the book belongs in (like Weather). Then in the lower left hand corner I have a colored dot that lets a student know what level the book is. This is so that if I tell you to read a plant book you will get one that is on your reading level. I hope all of this makes sense. Our school has really been working hard on sorting and leveling our books. I will be glad to answer and questions. Hope this helps!
Kacie is offline   Reply With Quote

RKM

Thank you!
Old 02-19-2006, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Kacie,
This was just the type of info. I was looking for. Thank you. It will probably take me lugging all of my books home and just sitting down on the floor with them. Then I can look at everything I have and start sorting. I love your idea about the labels. We use AR also so that can be another label also. Thanks again.
RKM
Leann Boice

Leann Boice

1st Grade Teacher
Old 02-19-2006, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This year I spent a lot of time organizing my books! It has taken me 3 times to get it to where I like it...Here is a brief overview of how I set up my books. Keep in mind that this is also a center of mine so I have different tasks that each student completes.

I have three bookshelves. One of my bookshelves actually has small plastic bins that pull out like drawers. This bookshelf has my leveled readers, accelerated readers and the blue step books (level 1, 2, 3, etc.). Also, in this bookshelf, I have the tubaloos (the ear listening pieces so they can read into them), bookmarks, stick-it notes, and paper. On top of the bookshelf, I have pulled out some books by three favorite authors (for example, David Shannon, Tomie d, Eric Carle) and put them into some magazine holders I found at Old Navy. I also have placed the books that we have created as a class in a paper tray.

The next two bookshelfs, which are typical every day bookshelfs. I purchased (it was just the right time and place) the perfect size slotted tubs from our local dollar store. Each tub contains the following types of books:
Non-Fiction
Poetry
Science
Social Studies
Math
Fiction Stories
Multi-Cultural
Folktales, Fables, and Fairy Tales
Stories We Know
Charcters We Know/Like
Favorite Authors
Holiday Books
Dr. Seuss
Caldecotts
I Spy Books
Jokes & Riddles
Stories We Have Read Aloud
References (dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc)
Magazines, Newspapers
Art
Chapter Books
Animals
Theme Books (whatever we are learning about for the month I pull different books that students can pick/choose

Previously, I just had the books on a bookshelf without any tubs. It really restricted the students because they could not see the front cover. Now, I have noticed that the students are choosing a wider range of books, where before, they seemed to pick the same book each time.

As far as the management of keeping it organized, I asked Wal-Mart for some wooden paint sticks. Each student gets one --they decorate it and put their name on it. When they get a book out, they have to use their stick to mark the place. When they return it, they just put it where their stick was.

Hope this works!
Leann

read2me

The perfect Solution
Old 02-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was just like you, a lot of books but not organized. Every year it got better. First I sorted them into baskets....
Hoildays
Nonfiction
ABC
Math
Science
Easy
Hard
Poetry
Chapter books
David Shannon
Jan Brett
My Favorite Author
etc...
You get the picture , but every day I would just freak out, because some students couldn't put them back in the right place. Then when I went looking for a book , I couldn't ever find it.
Last Year I found the perfect idea. I bought several stickers, for example, red, blue, yellow, white,green dots. After sorting them again into the correct baskets. I put a blue dot sticker on each of my nonfiction books and 1 blue dot on the outside on the label nonfiction. I used different stickers for a different basket.
Now if I notice a book out of place I might ask a couple to go back and straighten the books. All they have to do is match the colored dot on the book (I put all the stickers on the left bottom corner) to the basket. No more stressing out for me! Also I keep several more stickers on hand for my new books from my book orders. I read them to my students, and they choose what basket it goes in and what sticker it needs.
read2me is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

level books
Old 02-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Leveling books.
www.renlearn.com AR click on quizzes. In the blank type in author or use the arrow button and go to author and type in author. Tells the points the books is worth, grade level and etc.
This an excellent site, also…. http://src.scholastic.com/ecatalog/default.asp?

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00001316.shtml

http://www.crcs.k12.ny.us/itr/gr/grl...t.asp?start=61.

http://www.beavton.k12.or.us/

there is a sizeable list of leveled readers and trade books at www.arliteracymodel.com

http://home.comcast.net/~ngiansante/

http://registration.beavton.k12.or.us/lbdb/

All AR books are kept together and other books are together along the other wall. First and Second grade room books are kept in plastic baskets. 3rd , 4th, 5tth, 6th and etc are on shelves. In the reading room K or emergent readers and first, second and third levels are kept in baskets and others on shelves. There are only AR books in the reading room. We have a reading room and reading teacher, she gives extra reading help. This is like a library. Students Star test in the reading room (4 computers) and in their classrooms. All the classrooms have three or four computers. AR dots. Green=1.0 to 1.5, Blue 1.6 to 2.0, Red 2..1 to 2.5, Yellow 2.6 to 3.0, Orange 3.1 to 4.0, I can’t remember until I go back to school the other colors. We use the same colors for all classrooms for that level. Reading room, LD room and classrooms all have the same color for the same level. All books have the wrap around AR label with the book number, level and points it is worth. And the dot is just above this label along the edge, so you can see the level at a quick glance. Use clear shipping tape to cover and protect the labels. And keep the dots from popping off. *****buy the wrap around labels at the AR site. www.renlearn.com 3 ¾ by 1 ½ , click on On Line Store---yellow spot, the green box, next click on reading, next click on AR and go down to the AR Handwritten book labels, Pack of 100……
*******If you have lots of books than divide the levels into more baskets. And this will depend on how many books you have for each subject. Mice, Earth, Birthday, Jobs, Christmas, Filmstrip, Fairy Tales, Curious George, Bears, Eggs, Mystery, Dinosaurs and Monsters, Animals, Cats and Dogs, Holidays, Eric Carle, (Clifford, Amelia Bedilla, Arthur) Birds, Horses, Pond, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Rain forest, and etc….. If you have more questions let me know…. I don’t think there is any right way or wrong way. Just whatever works for you….

* Teach them www.bookadventure.com. Some students love to read the books and then take the bookadventure.com reading comprehension test. It tracks points earned and some kids really like this. If you have an accelerated reader program in your school it works the same way.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

melesc

book labels
Old 02-19-2006, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You can also go to www.abcteach.com and print labels for your book baskets. They have lots of great things!
melesc is offline   Reply With Quote

teachfla

simple plan
Old 02-19-2006, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My organization plan is simple:

1. Buy many plastic dishpans. Organize your books according to preference (I do fiction picture, fiction chapter, non-fiction, informational (fiction with non-fiction characteristics, i.e. Magic School Bus, Magic Tree House, etc.) songs poetry and joke books, and Books of the Month. That's only six!) The reason I do so few is so kids get exposed to more books by flipping through the bins.

2. Then go buy lots of colored dots. Dot every book in the top left-hand corner according to the way you've organized (mine are yellow for fiction picture books, blue fiction chapter, red non-fiction, green poetry songs and joke books, white informational, orange Books of the Month.) Make signs for the front of the tubs using the dot colors you've chosen. My kids can put any book away just by looking at the colored dot.

3. We use AR at my school, so to differentiate AR from regular books I've added a neon green dot to AR books with the level number and point value written on the neon green dot (which is placed right next to the other colored dot.) I actually keep AR books in a different part of the classroom, but I think it would work either way.

Good luck organizing!
teachfla is offline   Reply With Quote

teachergrade1

Organizing books
Old 02-20-2006, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi,

I have my books organized in baskets from the Dollar General Store. I have a basket for

non-fiction science
non-fiction social studies
easy readers
first grade favorites
dinosaurs
bears
fairytales/folktales
multicultural stories
beginning chapter books
chapter books
animal stories

Then I have a selection of holiday books that I have shelved by month so they are easy to pull out for display for each holiday.

Lisa

teachergrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote

RKM

Thank You!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas! I am going to print this page so I can refer back to it in June! Thanks again!
RKM

vateacher

Old 02-20-2006, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I had my students help me sort books into categories that made sense to them. I set out the books on each of their table and then said things like "If you have a book that you think is about animals bring it to me now". Then I had a parent put a label on each book for the appropriate basket. So now students know books with pink dots go in the pink dot basket. It's worked well for us. I definitely like having books sorted into baskets. It makes things easy.
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sw

Ask your librarian
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

As a school librarian, I think it would also be a good idea to coordinate your classroom library with the school library as much as possible. For example, if your school library designates AR books by a certain color sticker dot, do the same in your classroom. I certainly don't think you have to alphabetize your fiction or "Dewey" your non-fiction, but try to incorporate as much as possible. Keeping books by one author is similar to alphabetical in the library, and keeping like non-fiction books together is similar to Dewey.
sw is offline   Reply With Quote