Help

ARCHIVE

Just getting started

>

anm

Just getting started
Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have accepted my very first teaching position recently. I was an elementary education major, however, I have taken a job teaching kindergarten. I am trying to get a head start on things and I have absolutely no idea what to use for center ideas. Anything I get can only help. Thanks.

anm is offline   Reply With Quote

cnemeth

Kindergarten centers
Old 06-13-2006, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you going into a kindergarten room that has been vacated because someone retired or moved to another grade? If this is the case there should be center areas set up. If not I would start with these and expand as you get to know your kids.
Blocks center
housekeeping center
listening center
writing center - at this age it would consist of magnetic letters, paper and crayons to trace and write letters, etc.
games center - for young ones memory is always good, barrels of monkeys (the monkeys help with fine motor skills and eye hand coordination)
Just a few ideas. I'm sure someone will have lots more. Congratulations and good luck your first year.
cnemeth is offline   Reply With Quote

anm

Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am going into a classroom that has been vacated by a teacher moving up. Everything in the room has been packed and put away, she has given me a few ideas. I was just looking for some more. Thank you.
anm is offline   Reply With Quote

melesc

ideas for centers
Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check out Kinderkorner.com. I believe it is spelled that way. She has many years of experience that she shares with everyone. She even has a message group like this one. I taught kinder for 1 1/2 years, and loved it. Another good game is letter bingo. Good luck!
melesc is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. T.

Centers
Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi! I teach kindergarten too...I have a writing center set up...I have all kinds of stencils, cool pencils, pens, markers, crayons. The students write letters to their friends in class, and place them in the mail box on the writing table (actual mailbox...$4 I think?). I also used index cards and clip art to create a picture dictionary that they use to label their letters. I just laminate the cards and attach them together with a metal ring. I also have an index card with the child's picture and their name written on it. The students can then find their friend and write their name on the letter. Eventually I display sentences for them to write, and they use their word wall words to create sentences. I have a mail carrier vest and mail bag and each students gets a turn delivering the mail. I also have clip boards hanging, and they write the room with these.
My reading center consists of books and magazines, bean bag chairs, and a large colorful carpet. When I do themes I may add a tent, or blow-up boat to the reading center. I also have a basket with cheap sunglasses with the lenses popped out. The students love reading with these, and during science experiments, they are their observation glasses.
One thing my students loved last year also, was a dice game. They would each roll a die, and the one with the higher number of dots won. They played this all the time...not even keeping track...just enjoying it!
Pattern links are also good for creating patterns...my kids LOVE floor puzzles! Walmart sometimes has them on sale.
Hope this helps!

Mrs. T. is offline   Reply With Quote