Help

ARCHIVE

United Streaming

>

gaazed

United Streaming
Old 08-16-2008, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How many of you have it in your school? I teach at a Catholic school and would like to have it, but they think it is too expensive. I would like to know how many of you use it. Thanks.

gaazed is offline   Reply With Quote

sra_E

We do
Old 08-16-2008, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We get all the Discovery stuff through the IU in my district and I love it! I use it all the time. It is so much more than videos any more. Tons of worksheets, test and quiz makers, info, ppts., all kinds of goodies! They also do webcast with authors and other interesting people both for personal development and instruction but some great for students. You could never afford to have them come to your school either! I think it is definitely worth it! (I will add that I teach 5th grade.)
sra_E is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

I use it!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district has a subscription. I use it for intros, rapping up, it's wonderful! The videos cover math, science, ss. They are particular wonderful for giving the children a real sense of who a historical character is - such as MLK,Jr. I teach in a city and many of my students have little experience with farms. It has videos with real working farms. It has videos that compliment my curriculum beautifully.

It can be used whole group (on an interactive board in particular is fabulous) or I can see how it can be used in a center - especially a non fiction center with a follow up response sheet reporting what they have learned and then reporting out to the class. I just might have to try this the second part of the year (I teach first and it might be too much to do until after Jan)

Good luck convincing your principal!
Shark
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

spunky7777

Me Too!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have a subscription too! I love it! It is a great for intros. You can watch entire videos or just a clip. When I taught about oceans and rainforests...I could actually show an animal or a part of the ocean or rainforest I was talking about. I think it helps make the learning seem more real. It really helps pull in those kiddos in the age of videos and video games who need more than just a book or a picture to grasp what I am teaching.

Hope you get it too!
spunky7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

greenteach3OK

My School Uses It
Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Several of the teachers in our school use United Streaming. Our principal says that should be the main source for our videos because they are all educational and G-rated. I teach first grade, and we don't have any curriculum for Science or Social Studies. These videos are what I use to help me meet my state standards in these subjects. My kids especially love the Magic School Bus videos. Good luck getting the OK to subscribe. My school did a survey last year to make sure we were getting our moneys worth, and most of our teachers reported using it and loving it!

greenteach3OK is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolinagurl

We use it!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district also uses US. I absolutely love it! You can find videos to match almost anything you teach, science, ss, math, language arts. They also have a lot of other resources you can use. The kids in my class absolutely love watching the videos, I could probably find one to watch everyday if I really sat down and searched through the videos. Right now I use it at least once a week, mostly more. It is a wonderful resouce to have in the classroom.
Carolinagurl is offline   Reply With Quote

my3jboys

no subscription
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We use it without a subscription - it is too expensive. You get a free 30 day trial. So, just have the teachers take turns utilizing the trial and share the passwords and usernames. Our computer lab teacher continues to ask for it every year though.
my3jboys is offline   Reply With Quote

JME

Old 08-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My county has a subscription. I don't know what I'd do without it!! The videos are a great way to expose students to experiences they might not otherwise have (seeing and hearing a rainforest) and helps level the playing field. Great for all the reasons listed above!!!
JME is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

yes
Old 08-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our district has a US subscription and I use it primarily for social studies and science. My school is still very low tech--no fancy smartboards or document projection devices-- so I have to use an old TV screen, but the students still really benefit from it.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

lbentley

we use
Old 08-16-2008, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our county has a subscription, but I think it comes through ETV somehow. I don't know if we pay of not, but our school has a code. You enter that code and then you can set up your own name and password. It's great. I use it for Science & Social Studies. They also have about 50 of the Magic School Bus Series.

lbentley is offline   Reply With Quote

superteach113

United Streaming
Old 08-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Did you check with the archdiocese? When I taught at a Catholic school, I didn't realize that the archdiocese paid for all to have it.

Also, check the links page of your local public school system. I found out at a computer course I took, that sometimes they allow the Catholic schools to use some of their links.
superteach113 is offline   Reply With Quote

must_b_crazy

LOVE it!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I use it for every subject and absolutely love it!!
must_b_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher03

I have it
Old 08-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use it, I love it!
teacher03 is offline   Reply With Quote

melesc

We use it
Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our school has a subscription through the public broadcasting channel 10. I'm not sure if it is expensive or not. Perhaps you can get some kind of break for being a private school (?). Anyway, I love all of the videos they have to offer. When I need something quick, I just "search" and I end up with lots of choices that the kids love.
Good luck!
melesc is offline   Reply With Quote

CAT

love it
Old 08-16-2008, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

but, can't get in it right now. What's going on???
CAT is offline   Reply With Quote

karebear

Awesome resource
Old 08-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I love the fact that all of our state standards are listed for all grades and subject areas; all of United Streaming resources that fit into each standard are listed by each strand. I use it a lot for science and social studies, since these are the areas that I find the least amount of time to prep since I spend so much time with the language arts and math areas.
karebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tmteach00

catholic school
Old 08-17-2008, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

i teach with the archdiocese of phila, and they have decided to pay for all schools to have US beginning this school year! before that, we all took a turn signing up for the 30 day trial. if you are really interested, get together with a group of teachers and start signing up for that trial!! its well worth it
Tmteach00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ena

Love It!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I use it for every subject especially Science and Social Studies! It really holds the kids attention!
Ena is offline   Reply With Quote

Cindy B

United Streaming
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I saw it used in a math conference for our county and came back to the district to beg for it. My principal told me that it was considered, but the technology might be our undoing. Our school system is already at it's maximum usage and United Streaming downloading would put it over the top. The high school is the portal for our district and then the other four buildings are fed from there.

Sigh. We always get the dregs in our building!

Could I download the desired thread onto my computer from home and then show it at school?
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote

chemteach55

Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

You can also check with your state. Every Louisiana teacher can get United Streaming through Louisiana Public Broadcasting.
chemteach55 is offline   Reply With Quote

TwoMonkeys

My catholic school has it
Old 08-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

the whole diocese may have it as well. I'm not sure. We all use it at our school. My teaching partner and I love it! We use it as much as we can and have found wonderful things on there! I hope you can find a way to get it!
TwoMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote