ARCHIVE

1st day/1st week activities

>

abc

abc

1st day/1st week activities
Old 08-03-2006, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for some neat ideas for the first day and the first week. Our 1st day is only 45 minutes and it is sometimes hard to think of quick activities for the 1st day.

melesc

idea for 1st day
Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know what I'm going to do the first week. However, on the first day, I can help. After my introduction of sharing who I am and showing them pictures of my family, I have the kids sit in a circle and hand the first child a stuffed animal. I tell them that we all need to get to know each other and tell one or two things about ouselves (or anything that comes to your mind). First I introduce the stuffed animal (a puppy) and share something about it. This usually helps the shy/scared ones because they are holding something to distract and comfort them. It usually goes well. Sometimes later in the year, another child will remember something about another child from that first day. I hope this helps.
melesc is offline   Reply With Quote

annieteach1

Old 08-04-2006, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a similar activity planned for the first day. I made a book about myself with pictures to share with the students. I'm also, at some point in the day, going to read First Day Jitters. In the Four Block First Grade Phonics book (Cunningham), they describe name activities that I'm starting on the first day. It's basicly writing each students' name on a sentence strip and then talking about letters in names, who can read a name in addition to their own, find the shortest/longest name, etc. My first grade unit is also decorating fun foam visors (one per student with their name written on it). These will be stored in the classroom and used for the first week, field trips, etc.

You could do an art project with them too. Maybe something to decorate a board???

Just some quick, initial thoughts.
annieteach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
stlteacher

stlteacher

school bus cookies
Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students make school bus cookies the first week. Each child gets a paper plate, a graham cracker, a dollop of icing (white icing dyed yellow with food coloring) and 2 mini oreos for wheels. They use a popsicle stick to spread the icing and draw doors, windows, etc. This is fun!

Miquell

cookie
Old 08-05-2006, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The bus cookie idea is cute, I think I will try it. It would be a good ice breaker. I also work along the lines of P. Cunningham's "First Grade phonics" She has a lot of activities that are great for the beginning and the whole year. Her making words activities really were a big hit with my students. I also try to find an activity that they can complete and take home that day. I also try to do and activity that will demonstrate their skills such as abc knowledge, cutting, color/number recognition. You could do a very easy type of "call out" where you would say " make a large square and color it....."now make a triangle on top..."I would model an example at first then have them try it. You would get a lot of info on each child and then take note, this activity I would keep as a beginning for their file. I did this last year and when this year was ending and we had a few days left of school I redid it and then the children compared. They loved this!!They had so much fun "bragging" about how grown up they are and how ready they are for 2nd grade. I hope this helps. I just went of the Scholastic website and found some great ideas under "Fabulous first day..The time capsule is something I will do the first day it like and extention of the last activity I described. Check it out! have fun

Last edited by Miquell; 08-05-2006 at 05:06 AM..
Miquell is offline   Reply With Quote