Help

Special Education

Austism student drinking every 5 minutes

>

melesc

Austism student drinking every 5 minutes
Old 10-22-2016, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please help! I am at a loss for how to steer a kindergarten student with Autism from getting multiple drinks at the fountain (up to 8-10 per hour). During whole group and center work, he often makes trips to get drinks from the fountain and not only the fountain does he drink from, but he takes the paintbrush water dish, fills it up and sips out of it. He is always easily redirected, but he is losing important instructional time and distracts the other students. I am only in his classroom for 30 minutes per day and don't see this behavior all day like his teacher.

My question is, are there any ideas for a chart that he can self-monitor himself going to the fountain? I was thinking to give him a certain amount of trips to get a drink and he could check it off, etc. Then, maybe a reward of some kind at the end of the day? ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

melesc is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Movement breaks?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is he truly thirsty or does he need frequent movement breaks?

If he is truly thirsty (medication or other health issues), can he keep a water bottle at his desk?

If he needs the breaks, can he stand while doing his work, take a note to the office or another room when he is done with his work or pace in a designated area of the classroom? Or can you have an aide or other adult take him to a sensory room or on walk around the school at designated intervals?

I like the limited number of drinks (just clear it with parents and the school nurse), but for a kid this young I might recommend a visual that the fountain is off limits right now.

I'm not sure what the policy for the other kids is, but the off-limits visual could be something as simple as red circle with a line through it posted above the fountain or even covering the fountain with a tarp or putting a divider in front of it. I would try and do this when the student with autism cannot see you do it.
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 10-22-2016, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I completely agree with ReadAndWeep. Another idea is to give him a picture schedule that shows Activity --> Activity --> Drink. So something like Story on the carpet --> Crayons at your table --> Water fountain. There isn't a need for a 'reward' here, the reward he wants is the water (which is a good, healthy reward!). Instead of rewarding/punishing the behavior, address the cause of the behavior. You just need to teach him what is appropriate.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote