Help

The VENT

Certification Expiration Question

>

spunky7

Certification Expiration Question
Old 08-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know what happens if you let a certification expire? I have my general elementary initial that will expire next year. I donít think it can be renewed and to get a professional you need 2 years of teaching. I donít plan to go back to gen ed and Iím enrolled in the SPED endorsement program at WGU. Should I still be able to obtain and teach with my SPED endorsement even if my general elementary license expires? I mean, you canít just lose the ability to be certified, right? Iím probably overthinking this, but itís been a long and frustrating process! I do have a license from another state as well that doesnít have an expiration date, if that matters. It appears that on my state website every teaching area is considered an ďendorsement.Ē

spunky7 is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 08-10-2019, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I applied for an extension. I would keep it current as you never know what the future holds. You don't plan to go back to gen ed, but you just never know.
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

State
Old 08-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it really depends on your state. I would contact your state education office and see. They usually have an e-mail you can reach them at with questions.

In my state, yes, you can be certified for just special education, though many people are dual certified. In my state, you also need a certain number of years experience to renew your license, but they can grant stipulations if you don't have that year. As an example, part of the renewal process gives you a different type of license (initial, etc...like different levels), although you don't get any more "special privileges" as you move up, so it's kind of stupid in my opinion. However, if you don't have the years of experience to renew to move up to the different levels, you can still renew, you just get that same type. Once you can verify that many years of experience, they re-issue you a license at that new level.

Also, in my state, if your license is expired and you don't have the requirements to renew (professional development, certain classes, etc.), they will still renew your license but just with a stipulation and then you have 1-5 years (depending on the stipulation) to meet those requirements.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

I agree
Old 08-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you should apply for a time extension, if such option is available to you. I did exactly that - I did not have enough of teaching experience so I applied for a time extension and was granted three more years to complete my experience requirement. Also, while you are in the sped program, are you planning to teach? If so, your gen ed certification will allow you to do so. Like PP said, you never know what the future holds.
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the suggestion to call your state department of ed and ask. My guess is that it would be easier (and cheaper) to add the sped endorsement to an existing license rather than letting yours lapse and then trying to get a brand new one.

When I first moved out here, I wanted to keep my home state's license, which expired after 2 years for a provisional license. You have to do a sort of new teacher mentor program to switch to the next license there, which I obviously hadn't done since I was out of state. They also accepted experience from out of state, but it had to be 3 years and I was only finishing my 2nd year the time. I called the department of ed and they were very helpful. They let me apply for another provisional license so that I would have something if I wanted to move back.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

spunky7

Old 08-10-2019, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the advice, everyone! In my state, the only requirements for SpEd endorsement seem to be 24 credits, student teaching and the Praxis. I will see if I can try to get an extension though. I do plan to keep teaching after I get my SpEd endorsement. I asked here because the DOE in my state is impossible to get a hold of I will try though.
Emily26

Emily26

Never let a cert lapse...
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What happens when the SPED position is closed or filled by someone else and you don't have a Gen Ed cert? Then you can't get a job. It's easier to keep it than try to get it back down the road.

broomrider

spunky7
Old 08-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Can you ask about extensions, certification requirements, etc. at a teacher preparation program at an in-state university/college. There is usually someone on staff guiding students to meeting requirements who is very up to date on dotting i-s and crossing t-s.

I'm in a much smaller state, population-wise, and have been known to drop into the credentialing office with questions. Hard to ignore someone standing at the desk. This doesn't do any good at all in populous states where they can't even locate your file.

I would second the notion that you need to be sure you don't need a regular certificate in order to add an endorsement. Each state likes its own way about things.

A teacher at my school was suspended until she renewed her credential when personnel ran a compliance check on staff in the district.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

spunky7

Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I donít want to let my credential expire at all. I just wasnít sure what options I had if the initial couldnít be renewed. Unfortunately the office in my state is a few hours away. I plan to e-mail them tomorrow.

Tessa_Rue

Old 08-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You may be able to renew your cert using the other state license. Thatís what I did.

Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Your state
Old 08-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Check with your state. I have a general elementary ed certificate with specific endorsements, the big one being special education. I have been teaching high school SpEd for 12 years now. If I let my license/certificate expire, I can no longer teach at all since my elementary ed is the base and the SpEd is the endorsement. Does that make sense? Double check with your state to make sure you can let yours expire.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I let mine expire 1x
Old 08-11-2019, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I never thought life would bring me back to that state. It took extra classes and exams to get recertified. It took over a yr too because DEpt of ED is so hard to reach here too. It looks like you are following TeacherBEE and others good advice. Good luck!

Last edited by Summerwillcom; 08-11-2019 at 09:41 PM..
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 08-11-2019, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I believe that once you let a license expire you are held to doing whatever has been added to the credential requirements from the last date you applied for your previous credential. New requirements might include extra classes to take, etc. Don't let it expire, if possible!
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote