Have you ever complained about a coworker? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Have you ever complained about a coworker?

>

Curious19

Curious19

Have you ever complained about a coworker?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I couldn't think of a good title. Sorry. My question is really have you ever complained about a coworker's abilities? How did it go?

Just so tired of seeing the same behaviors from the students who come from a certain room. Also tired of everyone, but admin it seems, knowing. Literally people in other districts know.

Singvogel

Don't complain.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand your pain because I've been there. If others already know, it will just make you look bad. Admin probably knows, but doesn't want to deal with it. I've seen these incompetent coworkers moved around, rather than anything concrete being done.

Think of how that person's teammates feel...

In this data-driven climate, I'd start gathering data. If you are at a PBIS school, get on the committee. If not, go to PBIS World and get a wealth of resources for tracking behaviors. Then, make it a priority to deal with repetitive behaviors, all without EVER mentioning the coworker. You are just trying to improve school climate...
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is a teacher in the grade below mine who...everyone knows is...not the best.

She tries her best, its not an issue of laziness, or not doing the best job she is capable of doing. Her best just...isnt very good. Her management sucks. I always have to work my tail off to either- a. retrain students coming from her because they come in with behavior that is ridiculous when they are capable of doing better, and b. try to help "fix" them after they had a horrible year with escalations and ever deteriorating behavior. If they came to her with a little behavior, then they left her with severe behavior. She also freely admits that she isnt good at teaching math and tells chuckling anecdotes about how "opps, I cant believe I taught the whole lesson/strategy wrong. And I would have though I would have learned my lesson since I did the same thing last year".

Everyone, even several parents it seem, knows that she is the weak link at my school site. But, because she is very nice, tries her best, and does try to incorporate the feedback she is given everyone seems to look the other way about the fact that despite this, she still isnt a very good teacher.

She did mention once that she has never had a year where she wasnt observed though-which is unheard of-we usually have a year on and year off with observations. SO admin is aware and possibly trying to mentor her and help her continue to grow and get more and more feedback. It doesnt seem to be helping though.

Do I say anything, Nope-everyone already knows so why would my saying something make a difference. I stay in my own damned lane and hope I only get a small handful of kids form this teacher. Also, its not my place to evaluate other teachers so I stay the heck out of it.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not your circus, not your monkeys. Stay out of it. Unless she is hurting a child or children are in danger because of what’s happening in the room stay out of it.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I forgot how to make the box, but Kinder
Old 08-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

about says it all:
"Do I say anything, Nope-everyone already knows so why would my saying something make a difference. I stay in my own damned lane and hope I only get a small handful of kids form this teacher. Also, its not my place to evaluate other teachers so I stay the heck out of it."

Same here.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Curious19

Curious19

Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

OP here. It is my lane. It is effecting me and my grade level. I don't think I will say anything, but the "It's not your business" or similar isn't true.

I think it's also hard, because my coworker doesn't try. Often, they will site the student (that was in their class) "didn't do that with me". Also, she tends to make issues with parents. Let's say I reprimand a student who using their phone (which is a district policy). Parents will outright say it wasn't an issue last year.

travelingfar

What to Do
Old 08-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wouldn't say anything. In all likelihood the administration knows all about her. As a previous poster said, Not your circus, not your monkeys.

Last edited by travelingfar; 08-19-2019 at 05:32 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My teammate and I complained about a coworker exactly once. He was putting his hands on kids (yanking, pushing) and calling them names. We had observed this with our own eyes, and several students had come to us to share additional information. We were told parents had to complain.

I have never complained about someone else's behavior otherwise. In your situation, I'm guessing admin also knows but there is some reason they haven't done anything about it. There is sometimes a shortage of teachers in specific areas, which is one major reason I know several very ineffective teachers had not been removed for that exactly reason. Who would replace them? Also, in my last district, the principal was terrified of the teacher's union and wouldn't do anything because he didn't want to get called out for it. I think that's why he said the parents had to complain about that other guy.

I would definitely stay out of it, even though it's incredibly difficult.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Nope.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I try not to shoot myself in the foot if I can help it. Complaining about a co-worker's abilities will only hurt your reputation. And if everybody knows, you can bet that administration does, too.

The closest I've ever come to this is one occasion where there was something going on that I was pretty sure that neither the administration nor the school board knew about. (Not a teacher behaving inappropriately toward a student - I'm a mandatory reporter about that kind of stuff - just a teacher who really was not doing a huge chunk of her job.) In that case, I approached the biggest gossip in the school and told her about it under the pretext of asking what I should do. I swore her to secrecy which, of course, ensured that she would tell everyone she knew. It didn't take long for administration to find out and deal with it. I felt pretty sneaky and underhanded. I'd much rather deal directly with coworkers but I had already tried with this particular coworker and gotten nowhere.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-18-2019, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Guess this is a “stay on your own lane” situation. You’re not the administration so it’s not your job to evaluate your coworker. Keep data on pre tests and post test at your level to protect yourself.

Keep in mind coworkers in the grade above you could make the same claims about you. This tattling environment never improves the situation.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

If it is as you described
Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

everyone sees it except the administration, you are mistaken. The administration sees it but for their own reasons has decided to turn a blind eye to it. When someone stops them from doing it by shining a light on it there is never a "thanks for pointing that out."
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Tori58
Old 08-18-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think I'm glad I never worked with you! That was brilliant! There were a couple of times I probably could have used that strategy.

There is a lot of wisdom in the responses.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-18-2019, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Stay out of it. My professional responsibilities do not include evaluating my colleagues. I suspect that your admin is aware of the situation. Not your circus, not your monkeys.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-18-2019, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

At my school it wouldn't do any good because those are precisely the teachers our admin thought were the best teachers! Which is why behaviors and morale have tanked over the last several years .
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree with the responses above. You won't endear yourself to the administration by complaining.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 08-18-2019, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Let me go out on a limb. I think what we do is EXTREMELY important. Kids need good teachers. Yeah, they are gonna have good ones and not so good ones in 12 years. But if one is really bad at what they do and it is bad for the kids then I would personally give my input in some way even if to help said teacher do better. In my 4 decades of teaching I have seen good teachers begin to slide. Stuff happens. We all agree that doctors are important. Wouldn't you hope other doctors speak up when a colleague is
not up to par. Are our children any less important than someone's health?
I was always invested in MY School and the children. I felt a responsibility to the children and their parents. Just my opinion.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Complain about coworker
Old 08-18-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Yes, and it’s useless. My team complained to P that previous grade level, particularly two teachers, were not teaching the correct curriculum. So he arranged a meeting for the two grade levels. My grade level very politely asked them about how they teach X, because in our grade level they need to know X from day one. There was a lot of hemming and hawing.

And nothing changed.

Several teachers complained about how one was obviously not administering an assessment correctly. AT ALL. P went to her and she said she did it correctly. We all knew she wasn’t, but P didn’t do anything about it.

Trust me, admin knows, but no one wants to go through the arduous process of documenting so teacher can be professionally reprimanded or fired.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Gifted

Old 08-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Stay out of it. Trust me, admin already knows.
Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote