Open Concept Home Fad: Do you like it or not? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Open Concept Home Fad: Do you like it or not?

>

anna

Open Concept Home Fad: Do you like it or not?
Old 09-06-2019, 07:28 PM

I'm wondering how my semi open concept will do in a few years when we sell it. We have an open floor plan from kitchen,eating area to family room. Then we have the partitioned areas that I kinda like. I can go to a room to be free of tv noise downstairs and keep dgd's toys out of most of the foot traffic. The kitchen space is out of view when the front door is open. Most bedrooms are upstairs and the master is downstairs. Will this open concept fad last much longer? Do you like it?

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Is it a fad? I feel like it's been around for a really long time- much longer than a fad would be. But I also know lots of people who love more closed house setups.

The things I like about houses just depends. Some open concept plans I really like, but others I don't. Some partitioned concepts I like and others I don't.

But maybe "open concept" and what I'm thinking of aren't the same thing? "Open floor plan" is the way I think of it, so maybe I'm thinking of something else.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 PM

I think it has a lot to do with your personal style, the structure of your house, and the style of the house. Personally, we had an open concept in our last house because the house was ultra-modern, so it made sense.

This house we are in now is much older and much more traditional. Plus the wall that divides the kitchen and dining room is load-bearing, and I am not paying thousands of dollars to get a beam put in.

I like having the kitchen partitioned off because if I don't feel like cleaning the kitchen, I don't have to look at it
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-06-2019, 07:37 PM

Oh, thought of something I wanted to add! The last house we owned had a fairly open floor plan, but what I LOVED was that the kitchen was NOT visible from the front door (my first EVER place like that). You could even had someone in and they could sit in the living room and never see your kitchen, even though the kitchen was open to the dining room which was open to the living room.

I miss that house for so many reasons.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-06-2019, 07:55 PM

I'm with Grace- unless I'm thinking of something different than what "open concept" really means, this seems to be extremely prevalant. I mean, I'm racking my brain to think of any house I've ever seen that has walls/doors separating the dining room, kitchen, and living room.

My new townhouse is kind of oddly shape- it's longer than it is wide. So you walk into the living room and you can see the dining room, but then you have to go around the corner to see the kitchen. The bedrooms and full baths are upstairs. I like the set up. It still looks open, but isn't like my apartment where I'm currently sitting on my couch and can basically see the entire thing because it's so tiny .

I did see one condo where there was no door or partition at all between the master bedroom and bathroom. That grossed me out. I live alone, so privacy isn't a huge concern (and theoretically, guests could just close the bedroom door) but I don't want to be sitting in my bed looking at the bathroom! Way too "open" for me!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Open concept
Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 PM

It’s been around for so long now I suspect we’ll start to see a pendulum swing. And open concept homes will suddenly start getting walls.

I have never, ever been a fan. I don’t want/need to see or be a part of what everyone else in my home is doing. And I really never want anyone in my kitchen.

I’m am probably In the minority here, but I LOVE a large, separate, formal dining room.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

No.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 PM

While I like the sense of space and the light, I'm not enjoying it due to the inability to "burrow" somewhere out of sight. My master bedroom is a very open concept. From the bed you can see into the bathroom-- the shower, tub, and counter are fully visible. We do have a water closet, but it still feels exposed to me.

My husband loves it.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-07-2019, 04:20 AM

I like having specific rooms. I donít want to sit on the couch and look at the kitchen. Of course, I also donít like split foyer houses. So. Many. Steps.

I think a lot of it is personal preference. Thereís always someone looking for just about any kind of house.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 09-07-2019, 04:26 AM

It depends on the house. Iíve been in homes with very open concepts. I donít like the homes with open concepts and high vaulted ceilings. The acoustics are terrible. When there is a big gathering, it gets so loud. This is especially so when the floors are tile. My home has a kitchen that is open to the dining room and family room. I like it my home. For me it depends on how it is done. I remember a picture you posted on photo Friday that showed some of your kitchen and I loved that also.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Open concept
Old 09-07-2019, 04:27 AM

I don't think it will fade and I also think it's personal preference. We just knocked down a wall to give us the open concept because during football season I (or anyone in the kitchen) would miss a touchdown when I was in the kitchen preparing/eating another snack.

We like to entertain, so now when people come over there's not a big wall dividing up the area. It let us rearrange the furniture so more people can be here at one time.

When our oldest son was a baby (90's), we had a tiny house that was open concept. It was wonderful! I could keep an eye on him no matter where he was scooting around.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 AM

Many of the renovation shows have only a counter bar separating the family living area from the working part of the kitchen. I think a kitchen can at times be a noisy, steamy, or odiferous place. I would not want that so open to the family sitting room.

I am currently moving from a traditional colonial to an open concept ranch house. While I love the new house, it seems noisier. But it is full of natural light. Thankfully, we do have about half a wall separating the kitchen from the living area. One of the bedrooms will be an office/sitting area for those times when one of us just needs to be alone.

I do think the concept is here to stay. Open concepts tend to be brighter without as many walls to block the light.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 AM

A couple of years ago my parents lived with us for 5 months. It never would have worked if we had an open floor plan. Because we have walls we were all able to have some space. That worked really well for us. I think open floor plans get really loud too when you have people over. But thatís just my opinion.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Every "open plan" is different
Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 AM

We built our home almost 5 years ago, and I think of our home as having an "open plan."
On the first floor we have a small foyer open to a living room and then only two pillars separating the living room from the large kitchen with an eating area.
Off a hall we have a side door from the driveway, pantry, guest bathroom, laundry room and the door to the garage and door to the garden.
Our main bedroom and a bathroom is down a very short hall on the opposite side of the house than ^ these rooms.
On the second level the stairs end in a family room that does not have a view to the lower level. There is a guest bedroom, a small room I use for crafts, a full bathroom and a large storage room.
When guests come or even when family comes they can have the entire second floor to themselves, so they can hang with us downstairs or have complete privacy upstairs.

We have a nice view of a field and mountains from the front windows and a large backyard with a garden. Our home is not elegant, but everyone who visits claims it is so calming and comfortable.

If the open plan goes out of style, someone else can just build a wall between the living room and the kitchen in order to have a closed plan. I love the open plan. I can bake and cook while my DH reads or watches tv and we still feel together. The same for having guests. I am not isolated in the kitchen while everyone else socializes.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 09-07-2019, 09:25 AM

I think itís a preference and based on needs/personality. I like our partially open plan, and if we could ever afford to build on we would open the kitchen up more to our family room. Right now it is open to the dining room, which is open to the family room. Our living room is completely separate with French doors, so we can both enjoy our own tv/space when we want. I love having that separate space.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

My rural town
Old 09-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Everyone wants an open concept type house. No one wants the closed off, walled rooms anymore. I would not want that. I like light and openness! Our house is open from kitchen into family room and I love it...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 09-07-2019, 11:11 AM

The house I grew up in (early 80ís) was open concept. My house that we bought 17 years ago is open concept. I donít think itís a fad at all. I do like it because I like the open spaces. I like to cook, and donít want to be closed off from the rest of the family.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
My master bedroom is a very open concept. From the bed you can see into the bathroom-- the shower, tub, and counter are fully visible.
This sounds like the bedroom from you know where to me!
I like an open concept because I don't need a formal dining room or living room. But that's just me. We're much more about informal, comfortable spaces. Then again, my dream home is a tiny cottage with very little stuff and very little space to clean.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

open concept
Old 09-07-2019, 03:41 PM

As PPs have said, it depends on the house. My house had a walled-off kitchen with a pocket door when we bought it in the mid-80s, and when we finally had the funds to remodel, the first thing that went was that (weight-bearing) wall. The kitchen had felt cramped and small before the remodel, but now that it is open to the rest of the common space, there is so much more light and it is much more livable. I love it, and would never want to go back to compartmentalized spaces. I think the open concept will stay.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote