Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

New Orleans in November

>

Gimet

New Orleans in November
Old 09-21-2019, 09:26 PM

What are the must sees? Must do? I just found out we fly in and are there overnight. Then were going to Baron Rouge for a reunion and will be there three days. Grrrr!

Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

New Orleans
Old 09-21-2019, 09:47 PM

Take a walk around the French Quarter and Jackson Square. Be sure to take a look at the beautiful St. Louis Cathedral. Have coffee and beignet at Cafe du Monde.

Preservation Hall is a great music venue to visit if time allows.

Trolly car ride through the Garden District to see beautiful old homes.

Visit the National WW II museum if you can.

Find the best place for a muffuletta sandwich for a real NO traditional treat.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-22-2019, 04:25 AM

I've always wanted to go, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Is it still pretty safe there these days?
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Nola
Old 09-22-2019, 07:21 AM

Along with 1956BD’s suggestions, I would add dinner at Galatour’s or Court of Two Sisters. Wander over to Jazz Quarter. One day isn’t enough but you can cram a lot in. Even if you just walk the French quarter, you’ll have a wonderful time.

A Hurricane at Pat O’Brians is fun. Only drink one!!!!

Stay out of Treme.

Last edited by Keltikmom; 09-22-2019 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 09-22-2019, 11:23 AM

A tour of one of the cemeteries. We took one of the trolleys and went to Lafayette. There were guides for hire at the entrance and We paid $10 each for an hour tour. It's not the biggest cemetery, but it was very interesting.

National WW2 museum is great. We spent 5 hours there and could have spent longer.

Do walk down Bourbon Street at night. It's an experience (even when it's not Marti Gras)

We were there in the spring. I never felt unsafe.

ETA
Baton Rouge. The (new) state capitol has tours. Very interesting. There's an observation deck where you can view the Mississippi.

You can also visit the old state capitol building. It has exhibits of state history. On the grounds is the thank you railcar France sent after WW2 (each state received one).

https://www.visitbatonrouge.com/thin...state-capitol/

marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

angelajw

New Orleans
Old 09-22-2019, 01:11 PM

If you are there for dinner and want a treat go to Commanders Palace (need a reservation) or GW Fins. We enjoy antique shopping and there are so many in New Orleans and in the Garden district. The Roosevelt has a wonderful coffee shop, gift shop and the Sazarac bar and in November it might be decorated for Christmas. My bucket list includes the Roosevelt at Christmas!
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 09-22-2019, 04:22 PM

I've never been, but this is one of my dream destinations! Enjoy every minute of it!
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 09-22-2019, 04:52 PM

Start off at Cafe Du Monde for beignets - then go to the moon walk (right behind it) to see the MS River. Across from Cafe Du Monde is Jackson Square - walk around to see local artists and street musicians. Take a horse and buggy tour to hear more trivia (but it's not cheap). Eat chargrilled oysters at Drago's (at the riverfront) and/or Mulate's for cajun food and zydeco music. Go down about 6 blocks or so to the WWII museum (but give yourself plenty of time). The French Quarter is quite a site - but don't take kids there (you don't know what you'll see!). Pat O'Brien's bar is famous for their Hurricane drinks, but they sneak up on you so be careful! The architecture throughout the city is really fun to look at - the Spanish and French influence.

That's all within the same area, so you can walk to all of it. There's also the Riverwalk if you're looking for shopping, and CanalOne is a ritzier shopping area that we enjoy walking through (but rarely buy anything!). Again - all in the same area.

You definitely can't go wrong with the food! Have a great time - it's such a fun, interesting city. We go there about once a month - we're only an hour away.
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Thank You
Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. Im looking forward to the trip, but wish we were staying in New Orleans longer.
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote