Help

The VENT

I just got back from shopping.

>

Summerwillcom

I just got back from shopping.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A maybe 12-13 yr old boy came up to me politely and asked me for 5 dollars. He was nicely dressed and well fed.
I engaged with him for a few minutes wondering if I could get a read on if he really needed something. I came to the conclusion that he needed to go home.
It was an odd situation to me.
I have seen tons of homeless and many in need, some needing drugs, but something really did not seem right. He had a friend who was wandering the store asking others for $$$ too.
Then an idea hit me and I am really hoping this is not the truth. Why would a kid that age feel so entitled to ask random strangers for money? He showed no embarrassment whatsoever.
I don't mind helping people in need, but these kids were pulling some type of scam. Has anyone known a kid that age that would do that? The kid was not poor looking. Do you think it was entitlement at its finest?

Last edited by Summerwillcom; 07-29-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Not sure
Old 07-29-2019, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That does sound off. I have not encountered anything like you described.
I have seen many people asking for $$ on the street. A young man approached me in a busy parking lot asking for cash. I told him that I donít carry cash. He replied that an ATM was across the street! I told him that I could not and got inside my car quickly.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-29-2019, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Did you report him to the store? I was approached by about a 20 year old in the grocery store the other day. He said he was really thirsty and hadn't had anything to drink all day and did I have a couple dollars. I told him there was a water fountain up front.

He then went in the opposite direction and I saw him ask someone else. I went up to the service desk and let them know. He then approached me and asked if I told him on him and I said yes. He asked why. I explained that he really couldn't have been thirsty since he didn't use the water fountain and was panhandling, which is against store policy. He then left the store.

I have never had something like that happen before.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Old 07-29-2019, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had this happen at a gas station. I guy came up and asked for cash. I said no.
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

Similar
Old 07-29-2019, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A few weeks ago, I was in Walmart. (I donít normally shop there) I was on my way back to the back of the store and two young (8-10 years old) boys approached me by the toy department. Both very clean and nicely dressed. They asked if I could give them a few dollars. They didnít give a reason. Neither seemed shy or embarrassed. I said I didnít have any cash.

It seemed really strange and I felt that they were just asking people for money and then they were going to buy toys. I didnít see any signs of a parent.

AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I have never had that happen
Old 07-29-2019, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The only times I have been asked for money is when I was in a city and my DD was with me. She will only give them a few quarters and usually has a little baggie of things like gum, lifesavers and sample size hygiene products. She has these in her pocket and never opens her handbag. So far they are very grateful, especially for the things in the baggie.

I think maybe these kids have different reasons to ask for money. I fear they are being sent into the stores by adults in their lives that know people are more likely to give to clean looking kids than adults. No matter what the reason, it is not good.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Any other possible explanations/ experiences?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

LAFISH
Dang! That is not only nervy, but depending on voice tone would have been scary. Yeah, after he said that about the ATM, I'd be locked in the car pretty quickly too!
TWINSMOM
Yes, I did end up telling the manager because after he left me, I saw his friend hitting someone up for money. Also, I saw him move on to other people who looked really uncomfortable. Some talked to him, but most shook their heads like, "no!" and kept moving.
I find it odd that a 20 year old guy would ask a grown woman for $$ to get a soda or bottled water too except if he meant he hadn't had a beer all day. ( If that was the case.... not abnormal.) Your water fountain answer was priceless!
GR*Fan
I have had a lot of experience w/ panhandlers and homeless people. The part that was so odd was he was a kind of charming, young, happy, kid, but I am 99.9 % sure he was lying to me.
AuntK
See, that is strange to me too. It makes me wonder if they are used to getting whatever they ask for or if they see nothing wrong with asking strangers for money. I guess I came from a time where you were told to never talk to strangers and don't accept any gifts from them either. An average person, I would think would be desperate, anxious, or embarrassed to ask.
Chipmonkey
Wow! Your daughter is prepared! If the kid had told me that he needed cab fare home or something like that, a little desperate, it would not have been strange to me. ( I'd have pd a driver to take his butt home.) He was really smooth talking, but after a couple of minutes, his story had a huge red flag in it. Even if his story had been true, he would not have needed the $.

I spent a lot of time in Mexico, so I had the same thought about the parents having put him up to it for a second. However, he told me that he didn't live with his parents. He said he lived with his "Nanna" in another town that was about 15-20 minutes away from the store. A 12 or 13 yr old using the word "Nanna" even struck me as strange. It is interesting you think people would be more likely to give $ to kids because I'd be much more likely to give money to an adult who was honest. ( If they are really in need of something like gas or food, I have no problem helping someone.) Of course, I'd help a kid who was in need, but not with money.
I guess I will probably never know the truth of why and I am weird like that. I like to know the "why's" behind things.

MAsped

Old 07-31-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hmm, if you can sense that it's a scam which I would think so too with your encounter, you did the right thing in not giving money. I wouldn't have given either.

The only time I've ever been asked for money INSIDE any public establishment was when those people who portray that they're deaf (who really knows) put those keychains or trinkets on the table at the mall food court and return back hoping people put money on the table for them when they come back by the table. I never gave them money. That kind of thing hasn't happened anymore to me in years though.

One teen boy asked my SO and I for money in a parking lot and he really seemed genuine and in need and I helped him by giving a few bucks. Whether it was a scam or not with that one, God knew my intention.

Then every once in a while in front of stores in the parking lot, you see those teens selling candy bars for whatever their youth group organization is and I might give at times.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Yes, I am pretty sure it was a scam....
Old 08-08-2019, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Even if it was not, the kid lied to me. He said, they had gone to pay for their groceries and were 5.00 short. I did not see a cart or groceries anywhere. If that had been the case, I might have told the kid about how to take 5 bucks worth of stuff you can survive without and take it out of your cart. I think it bothered me so much because of the entitled attitude and that he lied.
You are right w/ your situation with the boy. When in doubt, it is better to help. Your intentions are what matters.