Help

The VENT

Too many kindergarteners

>

kindergirl88

Too many kindergarteners
Old 08-07-2019, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Weíve been in school for a week now and each kindergarten class is up to 30 kids while the rest of the grade levels have 20-22 kids each.
This is way too many 5 year olds in one class and I can already tell their learning is going to suffer.
We have very strenuous curriculum we are expected to cover so this is not a play based Kindergarten situation.
I also donít think itís fair that my teammates and I are running ragged with this many kids while the rest of the teachers in the building have a smaller class size.
Should we go to administration about the potential to hire another teacher? Administration seems pretty oblivious and thereís still the chance more kids to arrive in our rooms.

kindergirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-07-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Shoot I might straight up ask when theyíre interviewing for the new kindergarten teacher. Iím not sure how many classes there are in kindergarten but my previous school had three. If we were go to 30 (which wouldnít happen due to capped class sizes), our admin would be looking to hire a new teacher.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Does your state have a limit
Old 08-07-2019, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for student/pupil ratios? I think I might make a fuss and get in trouble...lol I have had 34 in my room many yrs ago.
K has its unique set of challenges and 30 is way too many. It might help to go as a group of teachers after practicing your potential responses, and try to get a new teacher.
If other teachers are sitting pretty with less than 15-20, you could ask if you could at least move your high flyers into their classes and make them k/1 classes. Some K come already reading and are way ahead while others do not know their ABC's.
It would not be fun just having all the lower kids, but it'd be easier than dealing w/ 30 and having to plan for the readers/ nonreaders. Good luck!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Definitely check your state laws - 30 in K is insane!!

https://www.classsizematters.org/sta...-and-policies/

And when you talk to admin, don't approach it as "it's not fair we have more than them." Approach it as "this isn't good for the kids."
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow! 30 in K?!?!

Our K teachers complained when they reached 18 students last year. They met with our P and then our P and the K teachers met with the Superintendent. She agreed to add a session, and then the board approved it. They wound up adding another session so each K class had 11 or 12 students.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-07-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'd go as a team and speak with the P about the size and learning needs of the students. I would not complain about having 30 students but go with the benefits of lower class size for K students.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-07-2019, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
And when you talk to admin, don't approach it as "it's not fair we have more than them." Approach it as "this isn't good for the kids."
Yes, This! 1,000% THIS!

Do you at least have aides? We have had 30 before in kinder but always with 1 or 2 aides, who work with us/the class (as opposed to a 1 on 1 student aide).

I hope your admin listens to your concerns & takes appropriate action.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

GLNUT

Here
Old 08-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

in NC, we have to wait for the 10 day average daily membership numbers, before they consider adding another teacher. Is it like that in your state?
GLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Where I live, that is, unfortunately, very normal. Our kindergarten runs with a teacher and an ECE, so the government will tell you itís a ratio of 15:1. Still too many small bodies in one room.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-07-2019, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

30 in K???!!!! Yikes!!!

I have been lucky at my school to typically have 18-22 most years. One year 5th had a bunch of kids move in during the summer and year and got up to 27, but that was very unusual.

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Old 08-07-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Meh. It's ridiculous, but 30 is a pretty typical Kinder class in my neck of the woods. I've been over 40 with no support, so when I hear people whining about having 22 kids, I have to roll my eyes.

Sbkangas5

Old 08-07-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Definitely go to admin and ask when they are interviewing, either for a new teacher or for aides. I know many people have 30+ kinders, but nobody will tell you that it's a good situation. If they are completely oblivious have them come in and observe/help for a while to see what 30 kinders actually means. Do you have a cap? It seems really odd that the rest of the school is so much lower.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-07-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

God bless you. That is too many little ones in one room. After 16, every new kinder feels like 5 more. Zia, on the Kindergarten Board, describes the beginning of kindergarten to herding cats. They are all over the place.

I agree with OPs. You definitely need to have a discussion about hiring another K teacher. Don't approach it as it not being fair. No one cares if it is fair or not. Life isn't fair. Unless you had a lot of last minute enrollments, admin knew that the class sizes for K were going to be large and should have been planning for it. Sadly, they seem to forget how important K is. We build the foundation for future learning. They also seem to forget how needy the K students are when they start.

Talk with your K colleagues to plan what you will say. When you go into the meeting, you want to state your concerns and offer possible solutions-one being that another K teacher is hired.

Are you teaching in a public school? Read your state guidelines for kindergarten carefully. Check state code for the required number of square feet per kindergarten student in the classroom and per student for outside space, the maximum number of students allowed (sometimes they have to provide an aide once you hit a magic number like 25)...Even read what the bathroom facilities requirements are.

If you are by yourself, express safety concerns if you take the class outside by yourself. What if a student runs off, refuses to come inside, gets hurt (blood, broken bone) or is allergic/gets stung by a bee ... ? It is hard to keep an eye on 30 students when they are going in all different directions. Ask if another adult is available to help you supervise students when you are outside. Do you have a walkie talkie so you can reach someone if help is needed?

Things to consider:

Do most of your students enter kindergarten having some preschool experience or is this their first school experience?

Check out your students' birth dates. It sounds silly, but it makes a difference if you have a lot of summer birth dates with students who just turned/will turn five soon or you have an older group with students starting to turn six.

Gather any data on your students that you can. Compare it to data from last year's K class. Look at it carefully. Is this year's class on par with last year's class? If they are already behind, express concern about not being able to provide support for all the children. What options are there? Can someone push-in to your classroom to provide help or pull-out a group to do additional interventions.

Collect current research on the effect of large class size on student learning in kindergarten-especially since your kindergarten program is not play-based and the students have rigorous standards to meet.

Invite the admin in to observe your classes.

Expect some backlash from parents. Yes, they will agree that the class size needs to be smaller; however, they won't want their child to be the one moved to a new classroom/new teacher because their child has bonded with you and has made friends.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Dangerous
Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

To the physical safety and health of the children. Maybe with a full time aide I could do it.

After a certain number of days the school might be out of compliance and would then hire.

If you are stuck then you should do more play based learning. Rotate groups...

Hang in there.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Assistants?
Old 08-08-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Kindergirl88, We often have 30 in kindergarten but each class has an instructional assistant. Do you have assistants or is it just the teacher in the classroom?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Wowza
Old 08-08-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Solo teaching K with 30 kids is like trying to organize earthworms!

Band together and approach admin with the advice from PP. My school had a rigorous curriculum as well, and like you noted, "their learning is going to suffer."

Maybe a few trusted parents could also plant a bug in admins ear about class sizes. Start out asking for another teacher. While not ideal, settle for an aide for 3/4 of the day, if need be. Our K had aides that came about 45 min. after school began and left 1/2 before final bell. Dressing/undressing for outdoor times is always chaotic so our kinders had recess towards the end of the day, came back in for a story but left their gear on.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Solo?
Old 08-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I didnít see where kindergirl mentioned there are no assistants in the classroom.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 08-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Back in the mid 80s I worked in a small school. One K teacher. He was retired Navy. Excellent K teacher. Parents brought their kids to him from out of zone. He would have at least 25 and upward. This was before PreK so kids came in cold. It was old school and children behaved (for various reasons). That said the best way to get those large classes smaller is get the PARENTS to complain to the district office and Supt. I found that always was the most effective way to get change............
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 08-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yes. I think going to admin would be helpful. I would also tap into your parent base. As someone else said, parents complaining holds a lot more weight than teachers.

Good luck to you!
happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

You will have to check your contract to see what the max is for K and if it is a hard cap number or a district average of all K classes. My district in CA has moved to 32 max in K and an all day Kinder program. Yikes, right?!?

Last edited by 1totravel; 08-09-2019 at 08:25 PM..
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-13-2019, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Wow thatís a lot of kinders! Please tell me you at least have a para to help?!
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote