Special Education

Help with autistic / bipolar student

>

Schlteacher28

Schlteacher28

Help with autistic / bipolar student
Old 06-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching a cooking class for summer school starting next week, and while examining the list of students with health concerns I found that one of my 5th grade students is bipolar and autistic. I'm feeling a little nervous as I've never worked with either bipolar or autistic students of this age before, or taught a cooking class before.

I realize every student is different, but does anyone have some general tips for working with students that have these disorders? Anything I should be aware of or try to avoid? I'm assuming it will be difficult to get in touch with his regular or special ed. teachers now that school is out.

Lstrm

Interesting combination
Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd use a lot of visuals. I'd be very unemotional in my affect. I'd have the class provide input on what they want to cook (choices from a menu I would provide). I'd go over expectations before every cooking activity -- start out by you stating them & work your way to starting an expectation with the class finishing it to calling on individuals to provide an individual expectation. I'd use a LOT of routine, structure, & format. I'd establish 3 rules: Appropriate language; Follow directions; and, Show respect.

Are you going to have them make recipe books or write paragraphs?

This kiddo sounds like one of my students in terms of medical diagnoses. If you need the rationale for any of the things I'd do, I'll be happy to explain.

Have fun!
Lstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Schlteacher28

Schlteacher28

Forgot
Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Forgot to mention that it is a 45-min. class. It is supposed to be learning about science-y things through food (science experiments using food). So they probably won't be doing a lot of writing, unless I have them keep track of the recipes we cook.

teacherbetty

mom of one/teacher
Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hey - cooking sounds like fun. Every autistic is different. Mine has certain things he doesn't like. If you avoid them, he's fine. Ask the child's mom to give you some information - then you'll know where to start. If science is his thing - he'll be totally involved. He amy not be looking at you (eye contact), but he will hear. As far as bipolar goes, I'm sure he's on meds and you might not even notice. Mine is 23 and now passes as odd but ok.
teacherbetty is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherbetty

mom of one/teacher
Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hey - cooking sounds like fun. Every autistic is different. Mine has certain things he doesn't like. If you avoid them, he's fine. Ask the child's mom to give you some information - then you'll know where to start. If science is his thing - he'll be totally involved. He amy not be looking at you (eye contact), but he will hear. As far as bipolar goes, I'm sure he's on meds and you might not even notice. Mine is 23 and now passes as odd but ok. Let me know how it's going.

teacherbetty is offline   Reply With Quote