Help

Fourth Grade

Parent problem

>

RoseyTeacher

Parent problem
Old 10-01-2015, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in my fifth year of teaching and I have met some difficult parents once or twice. This year though, I am really having difficulties with one particular pair.

The student is a very sweet girl who is raised by her grandparents. From the first day I met them, they complained about how they hate living here among other things... big complainers basically.

Since the beginning of the year they have been emailing me, complaining about just about everything. When she doesn't come to school with her homework, she will tell me her dog ate it and THEY will back it up. She forged a signature and THEY told me not to discipline her because I put too much pressure on her. They've asked me to move her seat on several occasions, and requested that she use a special bathroom because she doesn't like how mine is for boys and girls... you get the picture.

Today really got to me though when they told me she dreads school for the first time ever. What could be behind this? She seems to enjoy school and have friends... She gives me hugs when she gets on the bus... I'm so confused.

I've asked to have a conference with her and her parents so we can sort this out, but they never respond. They just seem to want to complain and it's starting to hurt my feelings...

Any advice would be great!

RoseyTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookworm94

Difficult Parents
Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is no easy fix to your problem, and I understand how hard these types of situations can be to deal with. One way of looking at things is to change your thinking. There must be some reason why these people are such big complainers. Maybe growing up as, this couple was not allowed to express there opinions, and now they express it on anything because they can. Also, it can be tough to have to be the grandparent and the parent. As the grandparent you want to give you grandchild everything, but as a parent you cannot do this, so it could be that they are still trying to adjust to their roll in their granddaughters life. I hope this helps! Hang in there!
Bookworm94 is offline   Reply With Quote

opal4

Keep doing what you're doing
Old 10-01-2015, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Any email/communication should be met with "Thank you for letting me know. When can we meet to discuss this issue?"

My guess is that no matter your reply, you will not make them happy. With the above reply they will either get in there to talk to you or realize that you're not going to play their silly games. Good luck.

(Can you tell that I'm just about done with parent emails? )
opal4 is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 10-03-2015, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I completely agree with opal4. I've made a point of never directly discussing an issue by email. You're doing the right thing by responding and requesting a conference. It seems like you're never going to make the grandparents happy.
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

Patty

Agree with the others
Old 10-06-2015, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sorry you are having such a tough year. I agree with all of the posters, and I especially like Opal4's standard response. I think I may use it. Thanks!

If it were me, I would do one more thing. I would kill them with kindness without compromising my standards. It is more difficult than it sounds and it is really more for you than for them. Hope your year gets better.

Blessings.

Patty is offline   Reply With Quote

RoseyTeacher

Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is true. I think that they feel a great deal of responsibility for her just like a parent would, but then they're also GRANDparents to her so they're a little over protective.

RoseyTeacher

Old 10-07-2015, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have actually gotten into the habit of doing just that! It's funny, I'll say "I'm sorry to hear that, I'd like to have a conference so we can figure this out," and then they don't respond for a few days! I am so glad that all of our conversations are documented so they can't say I don't care about their kid!