Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Video game?

>

NCteacher

Video game?
Old 11-29-2019, 07:53 AM

My DH and I are totally clueless when it comes to video games. We have an old Xbox 360 that I bought DH years ago. Our DS is 10 and we are thinking about getting him a Nintendo Switch ,PS4 or Xbox One. He loves the sports games we have for the old Xbox. Any suggestions? I know games are expensive, but we donít want to get him a system and not be able to afford the games for it. Any advice or opinions welcome.

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 11-29-2019, 01:00 PM

I don't know about sports games. I am getting ODD also 10 and YDD a switch. We all play video games. A lot are available on the computer, and we mostly play on there. However YDD and I love Zelda and Mario so that is why we do Nintendo as a console. ODD mostly plays on the computer - Minecraft, Overwatch, Stardew Valley, but she likes Mario stuff and the dancing games.

My advice is to decide what games you think he'd love and see what they are available for. Hopefully that will help narrow your choice. I will say that if you are not doing games on a computer and only plan to have one console Xbox or Playstation might age better as he gets older...for us, we use the computer for gaming and the Nintendo as a supplemental gaming device. TBH it's mostly for Zelda.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 11-29-2019, 01:03 PM

We have an XBOX One (DSs are 5 & 7) and are getting a Switch for Christmas. I think the XBOX is better for sports games (theyíre not an option for Switch). DH says buying used sports game for the XBOX is your best bet, he said ones a couple years old can be $20-$30.

I donít know anything about PS4.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

We have a switch and ps4
Old 11-30-2019, 10:23 AM

Ds is 9. I would say he plays the switch more than the ps4. The switch is super family friendly and fun. The switch can be docked and played on the tv or used as a hand held device. The ps4 isnít played as much as our switch is though my ds wants the fallen order game for Christmas so that may change!
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-30-2019, 10:57 AM

The switch is more practical. It can be on the TV or handheld which means it can go on long car trips, etc.

XBox has a larger selection of games and would probably be more entertaining for a child over 10.

Both are going to run you $50-$60 per game although older games can be bought used at GameStop for significantly less.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote