Help

The VENT

What would you do?

>

emgirl

What would you do?
Old 05-19-2020, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a girl in my class who was submitting her work blank in google classroom. I would comment on the work, try to google hangout her and email her parents. I got no response. Finally heard back from the dad and he said he would look into it. She had two weeks of work to make up. When kids had missing work, I would put a slide up that said you have missing work. Anyway, someone from her family private messaged me a not very nice comment and told me to stop giving her the slide so I did. BUT she is still missing work. This is our last week and next week is a make up your work we/if you're done fun activities. I'm 99% they think she has made up all her work (so she can do the activities) but she hasn't so what would you do?
I figure next week they are going to get upset when they see she has missing work, but they told me they didn't want me to let them know and I know you can see missing work on google classroom.
Do I just not worry? Sorry this is stressing me out. I know they are going to get mad. but they also told me to stop so...

Last edited by emgirl; 05-19-2020 at 12:19 PM..
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Truthfully
Old 05-19-2020, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would just explain to them the basics of what you said here.

It could be something like, "I know she is upset that she won't be able to do the fun activities. I did tell the kids the work needed to be done, and she simply hasn't done it. When I sent reminders, I was told to stop sending them. (Insert screen shot of the message you received.) Because her work isn't completed, she will need to work on those assignments next week. Thank you! Your child's teacher"

You've done your part. You kept up with the messages. If they don't like it, they will have to get over it. You covered your butt, and I'm sure you have the documentation to prove it. I wouldn't worry about it.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 05-19-2020, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sounds like her dad was respectful to you but didn't force her to do the work. It also sounds like from your post that somebody else in the family messaged you--was that an actual parent/guardian? Could it actually have been the girl?
Why do you believe they think she did the work?

It sounds like her dad responded ok to your message, so why don't you contact him again directly and let him know she hasn't made anything up since last time? I don't think you need to even mention that she can't do the fun things. Since you're using Google Classroom, you can post the fun activities only to the students who are eligible and the missing work to the girl and anyone else who needs it.

Edit: is this 1st grade? If so, I don't know that I would exclude her from the fun activities. At that age it is her parent's fault and not hers. Was the slide only visible to her or was it visible to the whole class?
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 05-19-2020, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The problem I have found with Google Classroom is a couple of my kids have figured out if you simply hit submit without doing the work, it shows as turned in. Even if I return it to them it doesn't show as missing. It just shows as returned, which is not written in red font like the word missing is, and most parents don't notice that. it has been a frustrating battle here.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-19-2020, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you not grading the work? Even if I wasnt grading it they should get feedback that would also show they had not done it. Attach a rubric and make one of the grades for work turned in incomplete or unacceptable. We grade on a 4 point scale, so I make 4 categories, and I include a 0 that would include missing work. So, if it shows turned in, but the work is not there, it would also show a 0.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I agree with pp
Old 05-19-2020, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with two things mentioned from previous posters:

-It sounds like the dad replied, and even though nothing was done, he seemed civil. It seems like the request to stop telling them came from someone else. I would e-mail dad privately and explain again.

-If she is not supposed to do fun activities, I wouldn't post the activities for her. When you post things on the stream or on classwork, you can select which students get it it. There is a box and "All Students" is automatically selected. You can uncheck who you don't want to get it. It will only go to those who are checked.

On another note, someone mentioned that since she is in first grade, they wouldn't hold her from end of the year fun activities. Part of me disagrees with this and part of me agrees. I agree that if she didn't do the work, she shouldn't be able to participate in fun activities, especially if it was known ahead of time that those who weren't done wouldn't get to do such and such. It's sad she missing it, but to me that's a natural consequence. However, with that being said, I do things these are extreme times and exceptions should be made, we need to be extra compassionate, etc. Is she typically one who while in school does work? Or is she one who doesn't do work even in school? That would influence my decision. It would also influence my decision if I knew more about her home life. Are both parents working during this time? Is her home supportive/conducive to learning at home? Is home life/environment the reason she's not doing work or is she throwing fits, refusing to do work for parents, not cooperating, etc.? Has she done any work? Has the work she's done been done to the best of her ability or did she race through it, do poorly on it, etc.? When you reached out, did she seem receptive? I realize that's hard for a first grader, but was she trying and not her parents, or was she not even trying? After you talked about during in blank work, did she continue to do it, or did she stop? Was turning in blank work her attempt to say it was done or did she truly not know how to do it? Please look at this situation and decide if this a willful act of not doing work or more based on circumstances and use that to decide if she should do the end of the year activities or not. I'm not opposed to not having kids participate. It's a natural consequence. But, especially now, there are so many other factors influencing this. I think we need to be more careful/more lenient when making these decisions. Obviously, if your school has a policy about kids not completing work not completing in fun activities, then I'd say you are much more likely to have to abide by that. But even then, if you think this is more the parents than the girl, I would contact your administration if it's a school policy she not participate. I don't think she should be "punished" for her parents, especially at her age.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

This isn't first grade
Old 05-19-2020, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is second. I have told my class in the stream, in videos, in the daily morning message to make sure all work is complete by Friday and you will "unlock" all the fun activities. I have also sent emails to all parents letting them know this as well.

She continued submitting blank work, even when I told her to stop. I talked about it in my daily videos too. The comment had to be an adult. The words used and the structure of the sentences are too advanced for an eight year old.

I am grading work. I would resubmit it back with a comment "this is blank, I will change grade once it's done."

I know that I can only show the "fun stuff" to the kids who are done and I still plan on doing it. School doesn't end for us until the first week of June. This next week is supposed to be a week to make up any unfinished work.

I "think" her older siblings told her to submit it blank. Then last week I had 20 assignments submitted in a 30 minute time frame. The time stamps show that they were all being done within one-two minutes. There's no way she could do them in that time frame. Someone (mom? dad? older sibling?) had to do it. I'm not even challenging that.

On the dad...she wasn't doing her work the first two weeks this happened. I emailed him, and said how is online learning going? and he said it's great. She's doing a great job but misses you.
Then I wrote back and said she hasn't done any work and he said oh she forgot to submit them. But as well all know that's not how google classroom works.
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-20-2020, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I day let the whole thing gi. In my mind you've gone above and beyond to communicate. She's eight, there's a pandemic, everyone is burned out, and nothing is normal. Give her zeros on the blank turned in work and let that be the end of it. You tried.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote