Help

The VENT

You have got to be kidding me

>

Teddi9192

You have got to be kidding me
Old 10-07-2020, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a parent try to submit their childís math assignment on google classroom today. We are f2f and the child was at lunch when I assigned it and when it was submitted. His iPad was in the classroom not the cafeteria. We hadnít had math yet.

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Happened to me once
Old 10-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had that happen a few years ago. The child was in gym and I knew it, so I caught up with him in the hall before the next class and asked if he had had time to do his assignment while in gym. He thought I was crazy. When I confronted mom with the fact, she had the nerve to pretend that her computer must have been hacked. Suuuure, someone hacked your computer and decided to do your kid's assignment and turn it in. That's the first thing I would do if I was a hacker, too. Good luck with your situation!
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

BellJ

parent
Old 10-07-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How could the parent not know that it was a bad idea to submit an assignment in the middle of the school day? I wish you could give the assignment a zero for cheating since he obviously didn't do it himself. I know you probably can't, but still.

Poor kid will probably never be allowed to do things for himself as he grows up.
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 10-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Was the assignment done correctly? I mean, someone who is dumb enough to not be able to figure out they'd get caught doing this might not be smart enough to do the math coreectly, either. I had to remind my grandson's dad about the order of operations so he'd quit "coaching" him to do his assignments wrong.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Note To Parent
Old 10-07-2020, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Dear Parent,

I wanted to let you know that you scored an 84% on your child's math assignment. When I let your child do the assignment, he scored a 90%. Which grade would you like me to enter in my grade book?

Sincerely,
Your child's teacher

Note to Teddi: Maybe the parent thought that if she completed the assignment during the day, she would not have to struggle getting him to complete his homework tonight. I would be wondering if she is completing nightly homework every night. Time will tell when the child has to take a test (which I would not post until five minutes before the test).

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Damusicman

At my type of school and district,
Old 10-07-2020, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've sadly gotten used to it.
Damusicman is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-07-2020, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is a fear of mine after going remote and dealing with parents and classwork in a way we have not ever done before. We have more or less encouraged parents to log into student accounts to check their work (and we almost had to in order to make things work-especially with young students and those dependent older stodents). I am not sure how to make parents understand when we return that we don't want them in the children's google classrooms. How will the students ever take responsibility?

I think there should be ways to lock some assignments- or turn off the ability to fix things after grading... I am glad you were able to see right away that your assignment had been parent hacked.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Ah, Google Classroom
Old 10-08-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a "student" submit 28 assignments in a 6-minute time frame.

Good try, Helicopter Mom.

Shelby3

Teddi
Old 10-08-2020, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Oh please, please, tell us what happened! Must know!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Those types of moms have
Old 10-08-2020, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

increased greatly over the years. About 30 years ago, in a faraway place, I had a kid named Vince. Vince's mom did all of his homework for him. I had assigned a big project and displayed them in the hall. Vince's mom had nice handwriting.
Vince did not. I was younger and annoyed.
I added to the name Vince until it said: Vince's mom. It was displayed in the hallway. Only 1 person ( other than a few teachers) noticed it and laughed.
In those days and in that place, kids were expected to do their own work.

That yr, the P came to me very unexpectedly. He told me to take my kids out for an extra fun recess which was unheard of then. ( Time on task)
Then he told me Vince's mom had told him at a ballgame to make sure I did not work the kids too hard that day b/c the championship game was that evening.
P told me to have Vince sit out from the special play time and explain to him that I did not want to overwork him, or tire him out, before the championship game! Oh, for the good old days when the P had your back!

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

I had
Old 10-11-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

a girl in the spring who was missing 20+ assignments. Someone in her family sent a comment in google classroom telling me it was impossible to catch her up. I responded, that I had tried for weeks to contact them about all her missing work (she was submitting work blank). Anyway, one Friday afternoon all 20+ assignments were submitted within 30 min. I went into the edit setting and I could see that it was taking the person 1-2 per assignment. There is no way a second grader could do it that fast. I donít know if mom or dad did it but I warned her 3rd grade teacher about it.
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
FeDUPCORONA

FeDUPCORONA

How rude !
Old 10-11-2020, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I believe parents should give their children the opportunity to complete their assignments; as this robs them of learning and reinforcing what was taught.

I know for sure many parents are indulging in completing their children's assignments and work; especially now with school being online.

Good job in comforting the parents, at least she knows you are aware.