Help

Third Grade

spelling/vocabulary/word work

>

MsMonkey

spelling/vocabulary/word work
Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My teaching team partners have agreed that our spelling/vocabulary program needs some help. When I moved to third, they were using the lists from the basal program. (Yuck!) This past year we created our own lists and focused on different patterns, prefixes, suffixes, etc. for each list. I feel like this was a step in the right direction, but not enough. We have agreed that we'd like to step up our game here and work towards differentiating in spelling and vocabulary.

I've read about Words Their Way and I've also read about Beth Newingham's word study program. They both sound great (especially's Beth's approach), but it's a little overwhelming when I think about trying to put it all together. So, I thought I'd ask all of you fabulous teachers what you do to teach spelling/vocabulary/word work? What resources do you use? And is there anything you'd be willing to share?

Last edited by MsMonkey; 05-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: typo
MsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

3rdgradequeen

spelling
Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel exactly the same! Would you be willing to share the rules/patterns you teach?

In general I feel like the kids just memorize the word lists for the tests and then don't use them. There's no transfer. I am curious how this is avoided. I also don't have a lot of time to devote to spelling, so I am looking for a way to make spelling better, but not take up more time.

I'll be interested to hear the responses.
3rdgradequeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunflower123

I feel the same way!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If no one else responds with any good suggestions - let's not let this die! There's three of us here to start with and we could work together to get something going - then maybe someone else would/could join us. Just a thought!!
Sunflower123 is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

spelling
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our district we use Reading Street, but I don't love it and I definitely don't think it's enough. I supplement with Month By Month Phonics and the word wall words that go along with it. There are 110 basic word wall words that don't follow a pattern - and that's the point. You just have to memorize them. I don't know about you guys, but I really don't care if kids can spell some random challenge words if they can't spell 'they' correctly! That's where the word wall words come in. Besides the word wall component, there are many good activities in Month By Month to help kids become good spellers. In addition, I also use Mountain Language, not only for the spelling work but also general language arts skills in that program.

Hope this helps.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

Project!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

3rdgradequeen - I'm a little challenged when it comes to filing paperwork, so one of my teammates kept all of the copies of our lists. I will ask her for them and then share.

Sunflower123 - I am totally up for working on a project together! I already emailed my teammate about it and she's all for it. She says she has some things to share. Maybe if we all post some of the resources we've found that'll be a good starting point?

Two Boys

Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would love to help with putting a project together for thrid grade spelling. Let me know what I can do or how we go about doing this? Thanks! Our district has Harcourt and I do not like the spelling program with it. I am ready for a change.
Two Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Shanna37860

We also changed recently...
Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We also were using the words that came with the basal program and realized that our students were not being challenged. (Also several of the activities were painfully boring). So we searched and found a website that had 36 weeks of spelling (for free!) http://www.k12reader.com/ You can then navigate to the grade level you need (you could go up or down if needed for leveling). These lists have sight words, pattern words, and academic vocabulary words. Some of the lists look very intimidating, but the kids get used to the words and having to study and practice. For work we use the academic vocabulary sheets and Fraction spelling. I use task cards to have them practice the spelling words. Hope some of this helps!
Shanna37860 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

Tcrwp
Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can't seem to upload the word list file, but here is a link to the website where you can find it. If you'd like me to email it to you, I could do that also.

http://readingandwritingproject.com/...sessments.html

bryanswife

Spelling
Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We use these words for spelling/word work.
http://rmtc.fsdb.k12.fl.us/literacy/..._numerical.pdf

Copied from website:The words in this word bank are listed in the order of their frequency of use in everyday writing. Since the is the most frequently used word in
our language, its number is one in the word bank. The first 25 words are
used in 33% of everyday writing, the first 100 words appear in 50% of
adult and student writing, and the first 1,000 words are used in 89% of
everyday writing.

We use Daily 5 so we have a word work time during our reading block. The students work on the 20 words assigned for the week. Then we test on Friday.
bryanswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachr4

MsMonkey
Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach 4th grade. Do you have what your 4th grade teachers use? I kind of like this!!

Teachr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

npatt

Word Work for third grade
Old 06-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have struggled for years trying to make spelling and word work have carry over to everyday spelling.....with not much success. So this summer I have decided to spend time making lists of words (from WTW and FOuntas and Pinell), sorts, and activities to support the words. I have read everything I can get my hands on and have come to the conclusion that there is no perfect 'program' out there. Beth Newingham has some awesome ideas and games to accompany her lists - but she doesn't sell them. Based on her outline I am working towards making spelling more kid friendly without a ton of extra grading. Most of the activities I have tried that have the best results don't have anything to do with worksheet. I plan to use a word work notebook, like Newingham, that allows students the opportunity to pick 5 high frequency words (that they spelled incorrectly on an inventory given at the beginning of the year). I am excited and a little overwhelmed. It really seems that there should be something out there that someone has already made that would allow me to not reinvent the wheel. Any ideas?
npatt is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

Teachr4
Old 06-02-2012, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't have their lists saved here at home, but you can download the from the Teacher's College Reading & Writing project website. It's free to sign up and they have some pretty nice resources to use for reading and writing assessment. Here is the link: http://readingandwritingproject.com/...sessments.html

MsMonkey

npatt
Old 06-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I think you and I are thinking of things along the same lines. I've been feeling pretty overwhelmed myself, but excited to make a change! I wish I knew of something out there that I could just purchase, but I haven't been able to find anything so far. I think that's why some of the other teachers here thought it would be nice to work together on this project, which I would love to do! In any case, I'm hoping we can at least pull resources and share them here, to help make the work a tiny bit easier for all of us. Please do share anything you find!

npatt

Word Work
Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I wish Beth Newingham would put her unit on TPT or make it available to others seeking to help kids learn to spell better. I hate recreating the wheel. I am not entirely sure of how everything will shake out. I would much rather have someone hand me a program and all of the games, promethean flipcharts, word sorts, and activities. Anyone willing?
I am located in Kansas and teach 3rd grade.

npatt

Attachments
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

By the way, how would I post a document to share?

Moca22

Words their way
Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am moving the 3rd grade next year and want to change how I do spelling.
My plan is to give the WTW spelling inventory. Then I want to group the students into three groups. (It may look something like this: a small group in late letter name, a group in within word and then another group0 in syllables and affixes) I will then create lists each week for each group that goes in the Words their way spelling stages. Then throughout the week they will play games and practice in Working with Words on their spelling focus.
At some point they lower group will go into the average groups list and the average group will go into the higher groups list.
I would love input and thoughts on this idea. I have not yet started creating the list. . . waiting either till my current school years out or until I test the kids to see where I need to start next year :-)

thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance :-)
Moca22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Moca22

npat
Old 06-03-2012, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You have to wait till you have posted a certain amount of post and moved up on your membership standings. Right now your a "new member" you need to be something like a "junior member" to post

npatt

word work
Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thanks for your input. I think that sounds good. I am planning to pretest with 10 words, then add another 10 that follow the same pattern. If they miss 1 or none they will use a more advanced list that also follows the same pattern. I also plan to test students on the topp 100 most used words, from which they will pick 5 words to focus on and be responsible to spell correctly on the test. Since everyone will have different words I was planning to have students turn to their partners, give them their spelling notebook, and have them give the last 5 words. Everyhing will be kept in a binder they keep at their desk. It sounds good in theory....just have to test it out this year. It may be too noisy...but I want to try. This way their lists are differentiated (2 lists) and there are 5 high frequency words that they can't spell. It is worth a try.

MsMonkey

Word Lists
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

These word lists could be helpful, if you are interested in using the "3rd Grade Word Study Overview" from Beth Newingham and Holly Gordon.

Initial or final consonant blend word lists:
http://www.firstschoolyears.com/lite...s/clusters.htm

Long vowel lists:
http://www.firstschoolyears.com/lite...els/vowels.htm

PDF file of homophones:
http://www.carlscorner.us.com/Homoph...ord%20list.pdf

Consonant digraphs:
http://www.firstschoolyears.com/lite...s/digraphs.htm

Prefixes and suffixes word list:
http://www.firstschoolyears.com/lite...s/prefixes.htm

Bossy r word lists:
http://rbeaudoin333.homestead.com/bossy_r_s_1.html

Dipthongs word lists:
http://www.hisdwelling.com/Diphthong...sDigraphs.html

Comparative word lists:
http://www.mce.k12tn.net/reading60/e...omparative.htm

Contractions word list:
http:// www. spelling city. com/ contractions. html (without the space)

Last edited by MsMonkey; 06-03-2012 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: typo

thing1thing2

**Word Journeys**
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm excited about this post. I ALMOST decided to use Words Their Way(WTW) this previous year but after talking to another PTer I decided on Word Journeys. I'm VERY glad I did. The book was around $16/17 on Amazon. I purchased a used one. http://www.amazon.com/Word-Journeys-...8830388&sr=8-1

There's a simple assessment/inventory students complete (DSA)and it determines what spelling stage students are in. BUT it goes even further to show you SPECIFIC strengths/weaknesses. You'll know if students are having trouble with blends, affricates, CVVC + ing, etc. THIS is the difference between WTW and WJ. WTW does not show specific patterns/rules from their assessment. If you're REALLY into differentiation you might find that WJ is the way to go .

I had 3 different spelling groups this year. A parent came in once a week to give 1 group their test. I gave the other 2. But, a few weeks after school started , my high group had watched and seen how I gave the spelling test. On a few times the parent wasn't able to come in and one of my high spellers dictated the words to the lowest group. This worked perfectly. It also helped if a student was late or absent.

I teach 3rd. A PTer told me about WJ over the summer. I bought the book, read it, and implemented it. ALL OF THE LISTS for the patterns are already organized online. You print and go. For retention sake, I'd add a few words from the previous week, maybe one a few children missed, etc. This worked like a charm. Was super organized for me. Students received words on Thursday after their test and tested the following Thursday. I can provide the online word site if you're interested. As with both programs, it stresses students doing word sorts. I highly recommend this program. It was organized, flexible, and reliable. Every four weeks I'd bring the entire class together to address 3rd grade standards like homonyms, antonyms, etc. If you have questions feel free to PM also or post here.
thing1thing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Creek4

Sitton Spelling vs WTW
Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Our school used Sitton and we hated it. We are now going to begin WTW this fall. I love these posts. Great ideas are flowing!
Creek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Moca22

thing1 thing2's
Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I would love to get the online word site.
What made you decided to test Thursday and give them a new list then? Sounds interesting, I have always done the test Friday new list Monday but am looking to change what I currently do.
What you described sounds a lot like what I have envisioned. The three different spelling groups is exactly what I was thinking of doing.

I would love to hear more and get any other information you are willing to share. My email is mwashington # washoeschools.net (without the spaces around the #) in case you need it

Thanks,

MsMonkey

thing1thing2
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Word Journeys sounds awesome! I was wondering if there was a way to get a peek at the lists online? Also, are there any other resources to go along with the lists, besides word sorts? I'm thinking about ordering a copy myself, but wanted to see if I could get more info first. Thanks so much for sharing!

thing1thing2

Mocca 22 and MSMonkey
Old 06-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

http://db.dadecountyschools.org/~dav...tudy/davis.htm

The feature item noted on the site are the same feature items that will be noted on the assessment you'll have students take. After you count up how many they got correct, you'll know the stage and can then choose the feature.

We have Reading test on Fridays so I try not to give every test on Friday. This is why i chose Thursdays. The book itself has plenty of pictures and game examples children can do. We did very few of them due to limited time. I kept my word study to always sorting your words first then using a manipulative to practice the word. I use Daily 5. Otherwise, I don't feel you need to purchase anything else for this program.

PM me for specific details on how I operated mine with students. Hope the site helps.
thing1thing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

npatt

Word Work
Old 06-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I have always done all of my testing on Fridays - but I noticed that it was a pain when someone was absent. I think that testing on Thursday is a great idea. Then send home the list for the next week the same day. I am so glad there is a place I can go to ask questions and get answers. You guys are great!

npatt

Sharing resources
Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Ms. Monkey,
I would be happy to share anything I make. I can't post files yet because I am a new member. If you send me your email I will send you a couple things I have.
npatton#tong464.org

educ8torsrock

Words Their Way
Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

is required by my district. I would love to implement Beth Newingham's word study, but it does not coincide with WTW. I bookmarked this PT thread on WTW--full of awesome resources!

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ighlight=words
educ8torsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

npatt

Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I appreciate the link. I am trying to use some of Newingham/Fountas and Pinnell/ and WTW. I guess I will have to make what I need and stop looking for the perfect thing....
AW3
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 PM
This message has been deleted by AW3.

AW3

Choosing the 20
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

#Bryanswife: Thanks for the great link! How do you decide which 20 words are on the weekly list? Do all students have the same list each week?
AW3 is offline   Reply With Quote