Help

Social Studies

Integrating current events

>

bugfrug01

Integrating current events
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm searching for innovative and interesting ways to integrate current events into social studies curriculum. I'd say it's easier in some subjects- civics, American history, government, etc. but what about subjects like world history? I think it's important to make the connection between social studies and current events to show its relevance- just drawing a blank.

One idea would be to use political cartoons as a warm up. Every day we review a political cartoon and it's significance- then move on to the lesson. Thoughts?

bugfrug01 is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

compare
Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Current events are great ways to compare modern with ancient. For instance, right now there is a monetary crisis in Greece. Comparing/discussing which city is capital now with the Peloponesian War (please forgive my spelling) and discussing what problems Greece had then with what problems they have now.

Writing a letter to an ancient leader - Alexander the Great, for instance - and telling him/her what is happening to his country now was fun for my students. I know we did one for the Shoguns/Edo regime in Japan and for Montezuma. Bringing in some events from both periods in history into the letter really reinforces their understanding of how countries evolve. AJ
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

CNN Student news!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

CNN Student News does a 10 minute news broadcast of the most current news, including a human interest story, and printables and daily discussion questions. My 7th graders love it..they could spend all period debating everything they see!

Just google CNN Student news...
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gioia 730

Wow! This is great!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is amazing and I will be using it this coming school year! Thanks SO much!
Gioia 730 is offline   Reply With Quote

isomtw

Twitter Board
Old 07-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I recently read Readicide and am trying to incorporate current event/worldly articles into my reading/social studies curriculum. I went on line and found a bunch of articles that are at my students' reading levels and converted them to word documents. I'm going to have them mark them up to show their thinking, confusion, & questions.

Next I'm going to spray paint 3 cork boards black & hang them in the room with the original articles above each one. I'm going to require that each student responds to at least 1 article a week. They may also respond to other students' posts.

I'm hoping that by calling it a Twitter board, the students will be more enthusiastic about reading nonfiction & interact with each other.

isomtw is offline   Reply With Quote

bryanswife

Online news
Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We watch channel one online. It only takes about 5 minutes & there are a variety of topics covered.
bryanswife is offline   Reply With Quote