Help

The VENT

Way to go, principal!

>

beachygrl

Way to go, principal!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Excellent decision to call & interrupt my class to ask if I had followed all the steps of the discipline program before taking a student to the office because he was humping the doorjamb instead of doing his work. No, I didn't write it on an office referral because (a.) all the steps hadn't been followed since it's only the 2nd day of school & (b.) he's off his meds & (c.) the assistant principal had said during in-service last week that we could send kids to her without a referral if we thought it would help. No, I don't know where the assistant prince is, it's not my day to watch her. No, I haven't called his mother yet; best practice is to keep those conversations private, and my plan is to get in touch with her during my conference time next period. Yes, I had spoken to him repeatedly about getting his behavior under control before we went to the office. Yes, I've been following your instructions to focus on respect & responsibility as part of our PBIS this week; I'm fairly certain that if my lessons on these concepts had been more effective he wouldn't have exhibited this overtly sexual activity in class. Thanks so much for your support.

beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I've been following your instructions to focus on respect & responsibility as part of our PBIS this week
I guess the respect for others who witnesses this doesn't mean anything as long as the P is not inconvienced.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Ugh!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

PBIS... another program designed to put the blame on teachers. If children are disrupting learning it is the teacher's fault because they did not follow all the steps while continuing to teach and keep pace with the required programs. Too bad the PBIS police (ie: principals) don't realize that students do not act out when teachers are standing around with nothing to do so they can just focus on all the steps with one child.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Seriously? Discipline steps to follow for a child humping a door? NOPE! Straight to the office, do not pass go, do not expect chances and preferrably, do not hump anything on the way!
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

Thanks, y'all!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The principal is one of those people who has been promoted way past her skill set. It was inappropriate for her to put me in the position of stopping my instruction to justify my behavior while students were present and listening. Bless their hearts, they were quite supportive of me. When I hung up the phone one even asked me, "Miss, can we get back to work now?" They're just the best kids ever.

NC5th

My prince is the same
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In fact, she's given me back write-up slips and told me that I can't write up a kid for certain things. I'm talking things like outright disrespect to me, swearing, throwing things across the room.... Give me a break!
NC5th is offline   Reply With Quote

abear

Not to be unsupportive, but....
Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What exactly does sending a student to the office accomplish in your school? Where I work the principal can't really do anything different than I can do. I learned this early on. They can call home and document the issue, that is about it. We don't suspend unless a direct threat is made or physical violence has occurred. In my state all suspensions count against your school's accountability index, so it is a very last resort. We don't have any kind of inschool suspension because there is no money to pay someone to staff it. I handle all discipline in my own room. If I send them to the principal it undermines my authority in the eyes of the student. In the case of the student acting out sexually, could you refer to the counselor? This seems more of a counseling issue.
abear is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

So sorry...
Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

((((HUGS)))))!

I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating that might be! I wish principals realized (and PRACTICED) the following:

1. Each teacher has a different tolerance level, different philosophy, different ways of achieving expectations, different beliefs. It doesn't mean one is right and the rest is wrong; it just means we're different! Because of that, ONE procedure doesn't always work for EVERY teacher. Inevitably, the system will work for some and not for others. Again, it doesn't mean one is bad and one is good; it just means we are different! Principals expect us to differentiate everything based on student need. Why can't they differentiate based on teacher needs?

2. Just because a kid is sent to the office, doesn't mean we can't handle the situation, don't know how to it, or don't want to. Sometimes, you just can't handle the situation AT THAT TIME! I want nothing more to handle my own discipline problems, but when they are severe or of a sensitive nature, you don't have the time at the moment to handle it effectively and you need to stop the behavior at the same time. It doesn't mean I'm not doing my job...in fact, it means I AM doing my job because I'm thinking about the needs of ALL of my students, not just the ONE.

3. Who has time to write an office referral while teaching? You send the kid down if need be and fill administration in when you can. Learning should not be EVEN MORE disrupted by having to stop AGAIN to fill out a behavior report!

I put PRACTICE in big capital letters because my principal says some of these same things a lot, but doesn't actually put them into practice!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's good to be able to vent here! I appreciate your support so much!

abear, you asked a very good question. My purpose in taking him to the office was simply to remove him from my class until he could get his behavior under control. The rest of the students were losing instructional time, and I was at my limit. My intention wasn't for him to have an disciplinary consequences, I just needed him gone so that the other students could get some work done. For students who have psychotic conditions, as this one does, trying to get them to stop their behavior when they get wound up is sort of like trying to get a student who has a seizure disorder to stop seizing. The best option is to remove him from the situation. To give credit where it's due, the principal managed to find out that there's an ongoing issue between this young man and another boy in that class, and that changing schedules might help both of them. So, my guy had a new schedule today, and his behavior, while not stellar, was improved; the other young man kept his schedule, and his behavior was better today, also.

Thanks, Teacherbee_4, for recognizing that sometimes we, as teachers, just can't deal with something at that moment. Generally, I handle behavior issues on my own in my room. Sometimes, though, I need back-up. My issue with the principal was that she called to discuss these matters while I was trying to teach children. If she has questions about my behavior, those need to be addressed privately with me, not while students are present and listening.

Ally

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
What exactly does sending a student to the office accomplish in your school?
I agree beachygirl...at my school, office visits might not result in anything being "done" to the child who is causing a problem but it is a break for the other children and a return to the learning evironment.

I can see what you mean about undermining authority if it was dealt with like "I can't deal with this...I need help" but I think it was more like "This is ridiculous! I have a class to teach, children have things to learn...we can't have this kind of disruption therefore you need to go elsewhere and calm down.

Plus the poor door jam probably needed a break...

What a day, huh?

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

bryanswife

I feel your pain
Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

At my school we MUST fill out the referral. I have sent a disruptive student & immediately received a phone call before I could even get the paper filled out! It's ridiculous!
bryanswife is offline   Reply With Quote