Help

Third Grade

visualization lesson...help

>

teachbyday

visualization lesson...help
Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have any cute/good ideas on teaching visualization? Or books you use for it? I'm looking for something new.....

teachbyday is offline   Reply With Quote

SillyLish

Old 10-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have the book comprehension connections?? There's a whole chapter about visualization, and it's AWESOME! I'm starting visualizing next week...I'll begin by introducing what it is, and how we describe what we visualize, discuss thinking stems to use while describing what they visualize and put on an anchor chart.. then I'm going to have students close their eyes as I describe a setting to them (walk through the woods, beach, etc) We will talk about what we saw while we were visualizing and how everyone had different thoughts. You can also discuss with students why we visualize while we read.
Other activities to use- put things in paper bags that students need to smell, hear, touch, etc. and have them describe them. Read a poem aloud and have students visualize what they saw. Pull up an optical illusion and discuss what you see. Listen to different sounds and talk about what they visualize when they hear them.

I also found this website to be useful, it has some books to use for visualization

http://www.mauryk12.org/Literacy/rea...or%20texts.htm
SillyLish is offline   Reply With Quote

teachbyday

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for giving me some ideas....I'll have to check out that book!
teachbyday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tess

Visualization
Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm doing that right now too! I spent some time on how authors use vocabulary to "paint pictures" in our heads. I had them brainstorm words based on the 5 senses. The result was a great anchor chart of adjectives that we can now use in our writing. Ths week I'm teaching them a simple camp song that can generate an endless amount of lyrics (I'm using Moose named Fred...who liked to drink his juice in bed, if anyone knows that song). When you write a lyric you have a picture in your head of what it looks like, but instead of illustrating their own lyric, a classmate will be illustrate it. The hope is that this will generate a good discussion of the differences between what they saw and what their classmate saw and the reasons why.
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote

bryanswife

Charlotte's Web
Old 10-26-2012, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you google Charlotte's Web visualization, a lesson will come up. After you teach the skill this is a cute wrap up because you read it to them & they draw what they see in their minds. Hope that is helpful to you.

bryanswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss. Teacher

Visualizing
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I introduce visualizing to the kids and teach them how they should also see a picture in their head. I had them draw a picture of a monster (to go with Halloween) and then write a descriptive paragraph describing their monster. I am going to now display the monsters on a board and then have the kids read through the paragraphs and try to guess which monster it is describing. This covers my descriptive writing and visualizing together.

I also read a loud Hello, Harvest Moon without showing the pictures. I'll assign each kid a part of the book (which i typed and give out) and the kids need to paint the picture out. I bind the book when they are done and do a compare and contrast with the original book and theirs. The pictures are usually very similar and the kids feel great about creating a book.

As part my Daily 5, I will have the kids read small passages and draw a visual to go with it.. Then they'll give that passage to a partner to draw out. They'll have to discuss what made their pics similar and different.

Hope that helps
Miss. Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote