Help

Third Grade

No Name papers- HELP!

>

tchrrx

No Name papers- HELP!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have at least two or three no name papers daily. I have started an "Our class has had correct headings for ___ days in a row" poster to earn recess. So far we made it one day before someone forgot and we had to start again.

I have tried having them write their names 25 min. during recess, but it didn't help either.

I've also thrown no name papers away and made them start all over. It also didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

I also have kids that frequently don't return papers and/or turn in incomplete papers. Any ideas to help with that? I am at the end of my rope!

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

tish

This was mentioned before....
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use to have the kids turn in their papers in a basket by my desk. Beside the basket was a yellow highliter which they used to highlite their name before turning it into the basket. For some reason they enjoyed doing that and i enjoyed having papers with their names on it.
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

CLD2

Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The trash thing works for me- no name equals garbage can, you redo it during pe or activitiy time...you sit the remainder of the period.
CLD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Put Your Finger On Your Name!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As soon as my kiddos get a paper to work on I tell them to write their name, PIN #, and the date. Then I say, "Put your finger on your name! Show your neighbor your name and your PIN #, etc." It only takes a few seconds and it helps.

Using the PIN helps the most, though. I number each student on my class list by last name and that is their Personal Identification Number for ALL supplies. They have their own markers, crayons, colored pencils, rulers, scissors, glue bottles, and supply box that is numbered. I can tell in a few seconds whose papers or supplies have not been turned in.

Also, when I taught 6th grade in middle school I used the forms from Rick Morris's site; this link takes you to it. Paper collectors circle all the PIN numbers and put symbols around missing numbers or absent students' numbers. It works quite well!

http://www.newmanagement.com/downloads/blm36.html
NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

time4class

highlighter
Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use the highlighter idea as well. I have bright yellow ones at each table so students are to put their names on each paper and highlight them. The yellow makes it easy to check from a distance. At the beginning of the year I did a lot of "training' but it really paid off.

time4class is offline   Reply With Quote

theteach123

This worked for me
Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Right before the kids turn in their papers, I have them put a check mark by their name. When they see they don't have their name on their paper, then they write it and then put a check mark. This has solved the no names on papers
theteach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

I have a list of students names and I
Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

use a student helper who collects the papers in alphabetical order and clips the assignment with a bull dog clip. it makes my evening marking so much easier!
Henrietta is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

After many years of this frustration, I'm using the highlighter idea this year. Has worked like a charm! I think I have had 2 no-name papers all quarter!

I also have a student whose job it is to clip the papers together for a particular assignment and attach a class list with the names of students who've turned it in highlighted. I can see at a glance who hasn't turned the work in and I can bug them.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SunDevilMom

Highlighter here too!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Easy and works like a charm! I have a small bucket of different colored highlighters by the tray that they put their homework in....I have a "REMINDER" 8 1/2 X 11 flyer tacked up on the wall above the "Homework Tray" telling them to highlight their names.They know that if I come across a paper with no name/highlighter, they get one strike; 3 strikes, no Fun Friday!
SunDevilMom is offline   Reply With Quote

ElmersTeacher

Highlighters and Partners
Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used highlighters, too. Another strategy I used when my desks were in rows was to have the students place their paper on top of the stack as they passed them across. Each student had to check the paper before theirs for a name. I'm not sure what it is, but "catching" another student's no name paper is easier for kids than catching their own.

ElmersTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lexis

No Names!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just love having students put numbers on the top right corner of their papers. I have a student helper to put them in order. (they can do it quickly) and they find out right away who does not have a name and who the paper belongs too. This really helps me.
My daughter's teacher puts the paper on the board without name and the students have until the end of the day to claim the paper or it goes in the trash and they have to do it again.
Lexis is offline   Reply With Quote

bryanswife

Highlighter
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm in the highlighter club as well! It usually solves the problem, however, some kids will still turn in a paper with no name. In that case, I deduct 5 points every time they do it.
bryanswife is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

No names
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When my 5th graders are getting a paper or pulling out notebook paper to work, I say aloud, "Holes go on the..." And they respond "Left!"

Then I say, "Name and date..." and they say, "Top right."

I haven't had no name papers since I started.
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote