Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

If you have kids

>

emgirl

If you have kids
Old 05-14-2020, 07:56 PM

Iím just curious now that some states are starting to open back up, what are your thoughts on having your kids play with friends again?
I was talking to a friend and her thoughts were if both houses were social distancing then maybe. BUT then you would have to social distance again for two weeks. I get where she is coming from and then I went down a rabbit hole and found others who said the same thing.
Iím really struggling with this and itís probably giving me more anxiety than it should but itís hard when we go on walks and I see kids all playing together and friends of his playing together.

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-14-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
it’s hard when we go on walks and I see kids all playing together and friends of his playing together.
Yes, my apartment complex has clearly shown me that social distancing is a thing of the past.

At some point in the relatively nearish future, I'd be ok with my child getting together with a friend, with masks and social distancing. But she's a teenager, so that's a little easier than it might be with young children.

ETA:
Adding a bit more here- we aren't open yet in our state, and I wouldn't let her meet a friend until well after we opened. We peaked over a month ago, and our numbers have been stable, with somewhat of a a downward trend for a while now (we have a cautious governor).

Before we were locked down, I let her meet with a friend a few times, with social distancing in place (meeting outside, staying away from one another). I accidentally spied on her a few times (lol-- they meet in an area across the street from where we live and I walk that area) and they really were sitting quite a distance apart.

My daughter is a bit of a germaphobe, so I feel she is pretty darn cautious in general with things like this. Yesterday, when she and I were walking, we happened to see a friend of hers walking with her parents. The friend came running over and my daughter held out her hand and shouted "social distancing!" The friend stopped about 10 feet away and they briefly said "hi" and then we were on our way. We walked by one of my friend's houses (the son used to be a very good friend of hers, too) and I stood in the middle of the street and my friend stood in the doorway of her house and we talked back and forth for a few minutes before we were on our way.

That was the first time either of us have seen a friend "in person" since we locked down in March.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 05-14-2020 at 10:55 PM..
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Children & Socializing w/ Friends
Old 05-14-2020, 09:28 PM

My DS is 15yo (will be 16yo in 3 wks). He asked about going to the movies & mall with friends the day he heard the state was re-opening 3 wks ago.

My response-absolutely not -itís too soon. Well the movie are not opening anytime soon. The mall opened last week.

Due to increasing cases in my city & recommendation from my Mayor to continue sheltering in place (if possible) I made the decision my household will practice sheltering at home a little longer.

I am limiting the places we go to lessen our chances of exposure.

It may be hard for some teens to socialize as they are required to stand 6ft apart with masks.

My son & his friends are normally standing or walking close by one another.

I donít feel comfortable with my DS socializing with friends at this time because I donít know whether his friends family members have been exposed to the virus.

Most times affected people donít know they are affected until 14 days later.

Eventually, when I feel comfortable I will allow him to socialize with friends.

Until then, he can interact w/ friends via FaceTime on his phone & talk/ play on his XBOX gaming system.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 05-14-2020, 09:39 PM

Short answer: no.

Long answer: it's complicated. My 5-year-old is well aware of social distancing and stays faaaar away from people. We're not changing that any time soon. He's perfectly content playing with just me and his brother.
The kids in our neighborhood have played together this whole time and I'm nothing but flabbergasted.

My teenager has seen no friends. We may let him go fishing with one friend when school gets out.

It's possible there may be baseball this summer. His coach is taking it veeeeery cautiously and isn't moving ahead with anything until he has had a personal conversation with all families to see what we're comfortable with.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

No Children
Old 05-14-2020, 10:36 PM

I have no children but would like to weigh in.

I as a parent would not want my children to socialize with friends at this point, I would want to see where my state's stats were first. I have nieces, nephew, grandniece & grandnephews, the grands are 6 and infants. I don't like to even think of my grandniece playing with her other side cousins. It scares me this new symptom/Kawaski.

I would take my child's anger over allowing them to be put in a position to catch the virus.

klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 05-15-2020, 03:37 AM

It will be a while for us. My province has not really opened up at all yet, though there were never many cases in our area and no new ones for quite a while. We made the decision this week to start seeing my parents and don't anticipate adding anyone to our social circle right now.

My kids are little (6 months and 3) and not missing peer interactions at all. My 3 year old likes other kids but prefers independent play. She has not expresseed missing her friends or daycare at all. I was a little worried about her not wanting to play with others before this, so I do want to let her see other kids eventually. I am hoping maybe once our playgrounds reopen we can have some outdoor playtime with trusted friends. That is probably at least a month or more away.

The older kids in our neighborhood and that I see on social media have been really good about social distancing. Most of them are staying in their yards and maintaining distance if they are biking/scooting, etc. I think most people I know will be seeing family when they are comfortable with it, before friends.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 05-15-2020, 03:39 AM

If I was visiting someone who had underlying medical conditions who would be most hardest hit or had someone like that in my family I would say absolutely not. However, if I am not around people who are elderly, uncompromising, or have underlying health issues, sure. The virus isn't that deadly for the overwhelming majority of the population.

I think people have to look at their circumstances and make personal decisions about how to interact with the community.

grade2rocks

Old 05-15-2020, 04:19 AM

Our "stay at home" order is lifting Monday, even though we have not reached peak. I honestly feel that my household will still be living cautiously and not very different than we have been.

My grandkids (3, 4, and 7) will not be seeing friends. They will be seeing grandma, though! So that is a big change.

Groups of 10 or less are allowed to gather, so our whole family would supposedly be able to get together, (as long as we count the 1 year old twins as "one"). Ha! Probably won't do this either for a couple of weeks, until we see how this latest loosening up affects things.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 05-15-2020, 05:46 AM

Well, if youíre my neighbors youíve already been letting your kids play together outside

Seriously though? No. My son is only 17 months old. Yes I miss my friends and family. We all have smaller or Elementary aged children. However, itís not worth the risk. I tend to be more cautious and kept him in some level of social distancing during flu season anyway. Eventually Iíd like to get together but Iíll hang back for a bit to watch and see.

That being said, I make sure to get us outside for playtime and walks in order to have exposure to ďnaturalĒ germs (for lack of a better explanation). We play outside, in the dirt, grass, fresh air, and sunshine.
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

emgirl

Word Fountain
Old 05-15-2020, 06:08 AM

We may be! 🤣🤣🤣 My son has two friends (third peripherally) and they are always outside playing. In my parents neighborhood, my mom said it was like summer with so many kids outside playing together. We went on a family walk the other night and ran into a friend of a friend. Her H is a pastor and she was bragging about how they have been having church still with 125 people. Where I live that goes against orders (or did). She also was bragging that all the kids around them stole the signs at the parks and buried them. There were 20+ kids playing when we went by.
My son has done pretty well through all this and I know he misses his friends. I think weíll wait till school is over (June 5) and revisit the topic then.

WordFountain

Emgirl
Old 05-15-2020, 06:17 AM

I get it. It’s hard for the kids. It’s hard for the parents. They have been doing this for weeks. They are not social distancing. They’re younger elementary aged kids and sitting side by side, touching, yelling/chasing. All really great awesome kid play but....we’re in the middle of a health crisis. I live in NJ where we are still having a lot of cases. In my county we have over 7,000. In the last 24 hours an additional 61 cases were reported.

I’m not saying that this virus must be fully contained or eradicated before beginning to move forward into society again, but it’s frustrating when it doesn’t appear that others are following guidelines meant to keep us all safe.

*I’m off the soapbox now. Thanks for letting me get it out of my system*
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 05-15-2020, 09:37 AM

i just want to say this:

i have read here (and heard people IRL mention)--if everyone in 2 houses is social distancing, we should be fine to meet.

BUT...my thinking is: yah--we're social distancing, but we're still all going to the store and taking deliveries--who knows what we're contracting from all those other people "social distancing" ...."and they told 2 friends and they told 2 friends..." anyone remember that old commercial? (some shampoo, i believe)

thus concludes my Ted Talk
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

I agree and
Old 05-15-2020, 11:26 AM

I donít always believe it. One of my sonís friends mom claims they are social distancing online but I know they arenít (sheís an influencer). I have seen them come and go and her kids have friends over all the time. Okay if thatís what you want to do fine but donít lie all over Instagram that you are and havenít left the house for 3 weeks.
My other sonís friends mom was telling us the same thing. She wanted him to come over and play with her son. But then she said oh I went to x to see my friend and my son played with her son too.
Ummmmm...

Sbkangas5

Old 05-15-2020, 05:14 PM

My kids are all teens. They each have a few friends that they see. They stay outside and stay out of each other's space. They bike, surf, walk.

I walk with a couple of friends. I also see my teaching partner 1-2x per week as we are still working together. We are in the classroom together.

Most people I know are doing the same thing.

Our numbers are very low, and have been this whole time. People are generally really good about distancing. We haven't had to close our beaches or trails. We've had curbside pick up this whole time. I never feel uncomfortable grocery shopping.

If my kids were younger I might make different choices. I just don't know.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote