Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Sore neck/shoulder-Heat or Ice?

>

Risa

Sore neck/shoulder-Heat or Ice?
Old 11-11-2020, 12:55 PM

I must be sleeping wrong lately because I've noticed a sort of knot in my neck and upper shoulder that seems to be getting progressively worse. Earlier today, I had gone to Costco. When I was backing out of a parking space, I realized it was harder to turn my head to look for oncoming traffic.

Now that I'm home I'm wondering what I might do to ease the muscle tension in that area. Other than for swelling where I would apply ice, I tend to forget when I should apply heat to an injury or when I should apply ice. Suggestions for at-home pain relief?

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 11-11-2020, 12:58 PM

I have chronic trouble with that, and it has been particularly noticeable lately. My trainer tells me to alternate, starting with ice. I love the heat and hate the ice.

Good luck!
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

neck
Old 11-11-2020, 01:15 PM

I've been told you can alternate heat and ice. Lidocaine type patches can give relief. SalonPas is a brand but store brand is works just as well. You can put these over the hurting area and they last for 6-8 hours.
My ortho surgeon says heat or ice what gives the best relief.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 11-11-2020, 04:26 PM

I am having better luck will the Icy/Hot 12 hour patches on my arm. Earlier today I tried a generic roll on. It was fine until my arm became itchy. I gently rubbed the spot through my sleeve but shortly there was a burning sensation. After washing it off the burning stopped.

I just received this sleeve from Amazon today, only $14. It comes with a gel pack that you can either use warm or cold. This one can also be used on either arm. Trying to keep an ice pack in place is tricky. I'm looking forward to using it tonight.

BTW, if you find the photo distracting, you're welcome!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Thank you!
Old 11-11-2020, 04:38 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone... And Retired Kat, yes! A very special thanks to you, too!

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 11-11-2020, 05:03 PM

You're welcome!

I could have used one of the photos that showed what the sleeve looks like out of the box but felt it was more instructional to see how to wear it! Anything to distract from the pain.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 11-11-2020, 06:57 PM

I do a self-massage. Where I feel the tight spot, I press down really hard and hold. It hurts as I do it, but feels a bit better afterwards, as if itís been ďloosenedĒ somewhat. When itís bad, Iíll do this trigger point massage several times a day.