Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

do you wear a mask if...

>

stella.ivey

do you wear a mask if...
Old 11-18-2020, 11:52 AM

You have already had Covid 19. My DH and I were having a discussion about this last night. Most articles I've read say that while it is possible to get it again, it would be a rare occurance.
Just wondering what you all think.....

stella.ivey is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 11-18-2020, 11:54 AM

I haven’t had it, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t. At the very least, wearing a mask shows your camaraderie, in a sense, with others around you who likely don’t know you’ve had it. At best, it protects you and others from continuing to spread the virus.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-18-2020, 12:00 PM

I have read about people getting the virus again so I would wear masks. Plus there have been several sources saying this virus mutates, and that immunity is thought to go away in time.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-18-2020, 12:04 PM

Yes. And thank goodness that my new state “suggestion” is wear a mask anytime you leave home. Hooray! I agree with KatieViolet: I think wearing a mask shows others that I’m taking the pandemic seriously.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 11-18-2020, 12:05 PM

A mask's main purpose is to prevent *you* from infecting others, it does protect the wearer to some extent (with other measures....outside, distance etc.) but if I had recovered from covid I would still wear a mask. While reinfection is uncommon it does happen and you do not know if it's going to be you. It's also just a sign of solidarity with the rest of the community and an example to others, how does the person next to you in line know that you've recovered from covid and are probably not infectious?

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Wear the mask
Old 11-18-2020, 12:10 PM

I'm always concerned if I'm out in public near people who don't wear masks. I would suggest you wear a mask (even if you've had Covid) because people in public places don't know that you've had it. Until I read your post, it wouldn't have occurred to me that those who've had it wouldn't need the masks.

I think wearing a mask in public will keep you from standing out in a crowd, and not have to respond to others who might question why you don't have one. As I think of it, I have yet to hear any public messaging saying masks are not needed for those who have already had Covid.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 11-18-2020, 01:19 PM

I believe I heard on the news that those recovered from COVID should still wear masks to keep others safe.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-18-2020, 01:23 PM

Even if people who had it already were totally immune, it would wreak havoc on compliance if people could use that as an excuse not to wear one in public. That would definitely affect overall public safety even if "you" weren't a spreader.

I can certainly see not being as careful in private though.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-18-2020, 01:27 PM

Having the virus is not a pleasant experience and for many it is a virus that will carry on for months after initial recovery. I would not take the chance and go mask less for two reasons: it isn't known if you can't get the virus a second time ; I would not want to suffer twice from the virus.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Yes,
Old 11-18-2020, 01:40 PM

I know people who have had it and recovered. They wear masks because it is the mandate where they live and so that others feel less fear. It is not always about you, sometimes you do things for others.

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-18-2020, 01:40 PM

Yes. It is possible to get it again, which is one reason. Setting a good example is another good reason. There are also people who appear to have recovered but can still spread the virus (at least from what I've read). Also probably rare, but still another good reason. Wearing a mask is a reciprocal thing. It's not just about protecting oneself. It's also about protecting others.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

tiredgal

Old 11-18-2020, 01:52 PM

It is very much possible to get it again. My husband and I both tested positive last week. He also tested positive in July. Our doctor said immunity from already having it is lasting about 90 days. The doctor was not going to test my husband last week due to the fact he had Covid this summer. After a call to the state lab it was suggested to go ahead and test. Once again he was positve and three days later my son and I tested positive. My daughter has also had a couple of teachers in her building that are positive for the second time. We wear masks wherever we go and besides work, the store and the doctor we really don't go any where else. Although my husband wears a mask at work (his choice) there is no mandate and very few others do. So in my world it's not that rare.
tiredgal is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

mask
Old 11-18-2020, 02:08 PM

I think wearing a mask would be a good idea. We had a student at our school recovering from Leukemia. When he was strong enough to attend he wore a mask as did his classmates. This was at the recommendation of the children's hospital.
Who knows what other nasty viruses are out there and you have a weakened system.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

stella.ivey

mask question....
Old 11-18-2020, 02:35 PM

I guess I should have said that I wear mine because, like many of you have said, I don't want to appear to be poking a stick at a mandate.
stella.ivey is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 11-18-2020, 04:08 PM

Goodness, now I can see people who don't believe in wearing a mask, lie and say they had the virus as an excuse for not wearing one.

...Just like some people lie about having a health condition as a reason not to wear a mask

I heard a governor on the news the other day say: Just wear the d_____mask!

Last edited by LazyLake; 11-18-2020 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: spelling
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Yes!
Old 11-18-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I hear a governor on the news the other day say: Just wear the d_____mask!
That was Larry Hogan - the governor of Maryland.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-18-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Our doctor said immunity from already having it is lasting about 90 days.
Several of my colleagues have had COVID since the school year started at the beginning of September. They've all been told this as well. All of them are still wearing masks inside the school building, though. They are still role models for the kids and the 90 days isn't a certainty.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Governor
Old 11-18-2020, 07:57 PM

This was several weeks ago, but our governor ( former state superintendent of schools) said, “People, just wear the freaking mask!” Both my sister and I had a chuckle with that— as close to the f word as was socially acceptable
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-18-2020, 08:21 PM

Sure, keep wearing masks after you've had COVID. Why wouldn't you? You've heard you can get it again, right?
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-18-2020, 08:40 PM

I would certainly still wear it in public spaces because it's expected. I would be less concerned about meeting up with friends/family unmasked for a little while afterwards if I'd already had it and recovered. Of course, if they wanted everyone to wear masks I'd respect their wishes. A few weeks ago my teammate tested positive, and we'd spent quite a bit of time together. That was a PSA for masks, because we always wore ours and I didn't get it.

But there was a little part of me that thought while I was waiting for my test results, if I got it and recovered, I could go see family for the holidays. Of course you don't want to get it because you never know if you'll be the one to get severe symptoms or long term side effects. But to get it and have just mild symptoms, and have that immunity for this season would have been such a blessing.

I have also heard that some people only keep the antibodies for 2-3 months, but I'd feel much safer for at least a little bit, even if only for 2 months. I remember our superintendent saying in a meeting that she'd had Covid early on in the pandemic, and was already testing negative for antibodies by the time school started in August. Side note, I wonder what that means for the vaccine? I'm sure they've thought of that, it just makes you wonder...
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-19-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Side note, I wonder what that means for the vaccine?
It's a very good question and I notice that neither Pfizer nor Moderna are able to answer that question. However, I very much doubt that we'll be able to get the two initial doses and then we're good for life. I'm guessing it may turn out to be more like a flu shot: you get it every year and it may not fully protect you but should keep you from getting as sick as you would without it. But that's just a guess.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 11-19-2020, 05:03 PM

Yes they should. My cousin just tested positive for the 2nd time. She had it once in July and now she’s tested positive again. Both times she tested positive and both times she was symptomatic.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote