Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Highlight Hair?

>

PinkSparkle9

Highlight Hair?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 AM

I have really dark hair that looks almost black but itís dark brown. Itís gorgeous. My favorite feature. Iíve wanted to get highlights so I have an appointment for a partial highlight Tuesday morning but I donít know if I should change it to just a haircut.

My mom and sister-in-law say donít do it, as itíll damage my hair. She colors her hair and is afraid the roots will show eventually and itíll look bad too. My hairdresser who has similar hair as mine said it would last a year. Can they?

I want to decide within an hour or so if I should do it or not. Really nervous because Iím afraid I wonít like it and will then be stuck. Donít want to damage my hair (I never blow dry and only use a few products -dry shampoo, conditioning spray, and this stuff to make hair not as flat). For years I didnít use anything.

Thinking caramel highlights. Thoughts?

PinkSparkle9 is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

No!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:59 AM

Sorry I didnít see this before. Donít do it if you are happy with your hair! It does damage your hair and you will have roots showing. I do it because I am not happy with my dish water blond color. I love it highlighted, but if I had beautiful hair naturally and loved it there is no way I would start coloring my hair! Donít do it!!!
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

It is your hair you must decide
Old 04-06-2019, 09:47 AM

what you want. You may just want a change.

You could purchase a small blonde hairpiece and have your hair dresser use it in your hair to see what it looks like. She could teach you how to use the piece while she puts it into your style.

Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Your hair. Your decision.

But I will say that when I got caramel highlights in my very dark hair, I thought it made me look a lot older. I didnít like it.

On the other hand, hair grows, so itís the one place experimenting with ďpermanentĒ change makes sense. Itís never really permanent.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I have really dark hair that looks almost black but itís dark brown. Itís gorgeous.
I donít have gorgeous hair. I have very ordinary hair. But I get a lot of hair compliments because itís healthy. The reason it looks good to others is because I donít color or treat it. If you already have ďgorgeousĒ hair, why ruin a good thing?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

AndSoItIs

Try balayage
Old 04-06-2019, 10:35 AM

I used to have dark, long hair but slowly lightened it over time with balayage highlights. It doesnít go up to the root so itís really easy to maintain. I get it done every 5-6 months but itís pricier than regular highlights. Also I havenít lost any length. Get something really subtle and it wonít cause damage but will add dimension. Use leave in conditioner every time you brush out your hair after a shower.
You will need to change your appointment to balayage because itís a different type of service. Just a suggestion!
AndSoItIs is offline   Reply With Quote

PinkSparkle9

Old 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM

I changed my appointment to a haircut only. Now I feel a little sad.

Go figure. lol! One day Iíll do it. My mom said to do it before my trip to France to visit a friend. Surprised she said that as she was anti highlights. She colors her grays though.
PinkSparkle9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 04-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Ask your stylist when you go for a haircut to try the little samples they have of colored/dyed hair like these to see how you feel about the color with your dark hair.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MonkeyRun

Old 04-06-2019, 05:26 PM

I just had a miscommunication with my stylist this week and got highlights instead of baby lights. It's also lighter than I wanted. I had been getting partial balayage once a year, but since I don't curl my hair I wanted something that would look better straight.

Downside- I don't like it and I have long hair so it'll be a long while before it's out.

Upside- I did want something to brighten up my hair since my color is so mousey. I guess not I can go more than a year without getting something done?

If you do want something, I suggest looking into partial baby lights to start with.
MonkeyRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-07-2019, 04:35 AM

Color really isn't damaging. I wouldn't worry about that. And, done well, highlights shouldn't have root growth. Go for it. It's just hair.

Zia is online now   Reply With Quote